Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hey no comment from me… everyone can decide for themselves if they want to use carry on or check their luggage. It doesn’t bother me either way. I travel on planes twice a week so I consider myself experienced and “efficient”. I am only offering my two cents… as I said in a different post, for a long vacation 7+ days I prefer to check baggage as I like to bring my own shampoo, sunscreen etc and as I travel frequently I don’t actually pay to check baggage. Although I can’t say “never” bags getting lost is actually very rare… In the last 5-6 years of traveling about 100 times a year I have only had my bags delayed (never lost) twice. Once on the way home, once on the way there both times I had my bags within 12 hours of landing… If you check out other “frequent flyer” forums I think you will find the vast majority of “experienced” travelers will say the same as me…

Again for those who want to check bags… no problem, for those who don’t travel often and are looking for direction, my advice is check the bags… but again, no matter what you do, I will sleep just fine and have a great time in Jamaica…

Go see George Clooney in "Up In The Air" - now there's an efficient carry-on traveler!!! There's even a segment where he shows his co-worker how to downsize her luggage!

Default We carry on

We have been to COR/CTI three times. The second two times, we each brought one standard size carry-on and it worked great.

When we arrived in Montego Bay, everybody from our plane went to get checked luggage and we just walked through customs - no lines. We ended up getting to the Couples lounge so early that we made the previous shuttle. (They'd penciled us in for 3:30 or 4pm but we got there at 1:45 and made the 2pm shuttle). So we had time to relax and unwind before dinner, which was nice.

We brought about six 3-ounce bottles of sunblock, in Ziplock bags per FAA requirements.

On the way back, everybody had to claim their checked bags, go through customs and then check them back in for their connecting flights. Not us - we were right to the front of the line. Some of the customs stops, we skipped entirely. "No checked bags? Just walk through to the other side."

I usually pack swimwear, couple pair of khakis, shorts, a few light shirts and a pear of flip-flops. Plus a usually where khakis and a hat on the plane, so that helps save luggage space. I have enough room left to take all the toiletries, which give my wife enough room in her bag.

krazykeith- Sunblock at the resort is anywhere from $8 to $11 per bottle.
    Melea & Joseph
    CN - '06, '07, '08
    CSS and CSA - '09
    CSA - '10

Quote Originally Posted by landj View Post
    FYI, there is still a great likelihood that your checked baggage will be gone through by a stranger . . . just not in front of you. If it is pawed through, hopefully it will be by an honest TSA worker for a valid reason.
    ....Good point. And useless to bother with a lock as they will cut it off. Or tear the zipper if they can't. This happened to my daughter a few years ago. On new and expensive luggage. The airline didn't even say they were sorry.

My checked bags always get the once over. I don't pack anything of value in the luggage. In traveling for 40+ years only lost one bag. Hubby traveled ALOT with previous job, never lost a bag, but had one show up the next day and that was from Paris as he was routed to another gate for another flight. Oh well.
    Vicky

Carryon only is probably going to be impossible now after the recent bomb issues.

Thanks Melea! I guess we'll bring some, but it's nice to know that it is affordable if we run out. Not to say that it's a good deal, but it's not extortion either.

Good news, carry on travelers. My best friend returned today from an amazing trip to couples negril and she had no issues with being a carry on traveler.

Hi there! This message board is awesome. I have been doing a ton of research on it, first trying to figure out which resort to go to (chose CSA) then which room (atrium room), and now I'm trying to figure out what to pack.

This is a last minute trip - just bought the tickets this week, and leaving on the 12th of January. It will be our first time to Jamaica (and to an all inclusive resort), can't wait! We'll be using carry on luggage only - and I'm really not sure what to pack. We'll be there for a week... I like to pack lots of choices but 1) there's not going to be enough room and 2) everything I've read on here tells me I won't need much more than bathing suits, and a few dresses.

Finding swimwear in January was an adventure - we live near the ocean near Charleston, SC so I thought at least the beach shops would have swimwear - turns out it's the off season for them though and they didn't. Thankfully TJ Maxx had a nice selection! Phew!

But I'm not sure how many different outfits to bring. Or what else?? I did look over a few of the "regular" packing lists - but I won't be able to fit all that stuff, not sure what to bring & what to leave behind. Help!

Thanks so much!!

-Niki

Polartiger,

I see you found my packing list on another thread. If you have any questions, feel free to email me: pamelaboland at optonline dot net.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    Polartiger,

I see you found my packing list on another thread. If you have any questions, feel free to email me: pamelaboland at optonline dot net.
    Yes, thank you so much! The number of shorts, tops, dresses etc was just the kind of guide I was looking for. The funny thing is I found the list when I did a search for "books" hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by meldeets View Post
    Can you share your packing list with me? Would love to get away with carry on only! We leave from PA in a few days for CN. can't wait!
    LOL if you spend your days on the Au Natural side, there is not much clothing that needs to be packed. Thats how I can just do Carry-ON

Default Locks for checked bags

Quote Originally Posted by acranger View Post
    ....Good point. And useless to bother with a lock as they will cut it off. Or tear the zipper if they can't. This happened to my daughter a few years ago. On new and expensive luggage. The airline didn't even say they were sorry.

ACRANGER,
    I would suggest investing in TSA approved locks. You can get them just about anywhere, gives you some level of security at least in your mind and TSA agents have the master key so no need to cut off. Coming back from Punta Cana June 09, they saw we had TSA locks and I guess figured we were attempting to comply, we were waved straight through Customs

Funny this thing about carry on only...
    We are flying from the UK in 3 and a bit weeks & have free check in 2 bag each 23kg. I always believe in taking everything I want plus more. You check your bags in & whilst you are at the airport pre boarding you only have to carry around a small rucksack. My rucksack is always full of cameras ipods etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2