Thread: Mpls to Atlanta

Default Mpls to Atlanta

Hi All,

We are headed to CTI 2 months from today - Feb 15 and we cannot wait!!!

The one thing that worries me the most is that we have a very short time frame in Atlanta after our flight from Mpls. We have only 40 minutes from landing in Atlanta until our outbound flight to Montego Bay. Is this enough time? I have never been to the Atlanta airport so I don't know how it is laid out or anything. It seems like flights are always delayed out of Mpls lately. I don't want to lose any of our time that we could be at CTI having a Dirty Banana!! I am really worried about this. If it does get delayed, will they reroute us to still get us to MBJ that day? Both flights are Delta/Northwest.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

TLB

TL B - Ewwww...that isn't a lot of time. Atlanta is a big airport and we ended up missing our flight in 2006 because of the exact thing you are talking about. Yes, they re-routed us, but instead of arriving at CTI at 1 in the afternoon, we arrived at 1 in then morning!!! AND we had no luggage. We actually thought we were going to make it, and when we arrived at the gate, the plane was already leaving. According to the lady we talked to in Atlanta, because it is an international flight, they close the doors 15 minutes early. IF I were you, I would see if there were any other options. Just getting off of the plane can take 15 minutes sometimes, then if they do indeed close the doors 15 minutes early, that only leaves you 10 minutes!!!
    Kristen

Forty minutes is very tight. What airline are you flying? I would contact them, I know that there is a time requirement between connectors but I can not remember what it is.

Atlanta is a HUGE airport. You will be fine if your original flight leaves MSP on time. However, if it is even 15 minutes late, you are going to have a problem. I fly out of MSP-Atlanta-Tampa at least 2 x per year and have missed a connecting flight before because my original flight did not leave on time. Not a big deal when going to Tampa because they have numerous options, but unsure about Atlanta to MBJ. Likely only one flight per day.

That is really cutting it close. We had 57 minutes on the 5th, and just made it. We were in the back of the plane from Minneapolis, and it took us forever to get off the plane. When we arrived at the gate, they were already loading. My husband has COPD, and walking fast is not always easy. They do have a shuttle train that helps, but it is really cutting it close. Our original flight was the same, and they later changed the departure time at Atlanta. Keep on eye on things, and as others have said, maybe check other flights. I had noticed that Delta has several of those type of layovers, so it might be hard, but give it a shot. Best of luck, and enjoy your vacation.
    Linda

I agree with the others that 40 minutes is tight, Atlanta IS a big airport… BUT there is good news. First Atlanta has made significant headway to improve as an overall airport… A few years ago I would avoid it like the plague but is now much easier to navigate through…

Here is the good news… as you are using the same airline for each flight; this significantly increases your ability to make the next flight. They DO monitor who is on what flight and getting a connecting flight. It is not unheard of for them to slightly delay a flight by 5-10 minutes simply to allow you get your connecting flight.

I don’t know how frequent the flights are from Mpls but Atlanta is one of Delta’s main hubs so chances are they will have flights almost every hour… (they do from Boston). If it were me, I don’t want to worry about rushing on vacation so here are two tips… 1- Call Delta directly and calmly explain your dilemma and ask if they can switch you to a slightly earlier flight for this reason. Here is the problem, it will depend on who you get on the phone and the type of ticket you bought. It is likely they will try and charge you $150 per ticket to make this switch… If this were me, I wouldn’t pay the extra. I would simply find out what time the earlier flight is and how full it is… Now the day before you leave call them again and ask how full that flight is. Again during this time, ask again if they will switch your flight for free as you are worried about the connection. Again it will depend on who you speak to, some will do it free others will want to charge you… Assuming 2 things here- If there IS a flight say 1 hour earlier from Mpls – Atl and there IS availability on that flight, turn up at the airport in time to catch that flight… When you speak to the reps at the airport they are far more likely to switch your flights for nothing…. Even if they do charge you, it will be significantly less than $150 per ticket (usually $20 -$50 per ticket but can vary). Now the very worst case scenario you can’t change the flight… DON’T WORRY… as I said in the beginning you will likely still make the flight. I have caught flights with less than a 20 minute gap. I think you will be just fine but I also understand you don’t need the extra stress worrying about it all the way there…

We have a 45 minute connection in Chicago this weekend on United. When I was booking the trip, I called United to see if this was even possible (since it said "terminal change"). The woman assured me that they wouldn't even offer the flight package if you couldn't make the connection. We're just going to hustle over to it and hopefully it works.

I would let the people know at the counter in Minneapolis and then let your flight attendant on the plane know as well. They can probably alert someone at the gate that you're on the way through the airport to catch it. Maybe they'll even help you get off the plane before other passengers but people may get ticked about that.

We are actually heading from Mpls to CTI that same day, but we were able to get a direct flight to MoBay. Our travel agent arranged it for us, and we are on Northwest. Did you try that option? Not sure what our flight number is, but i can see if I can find it if you are interested.

Surprising that Delta/NW would let you book with only 40 minutes layover. Particularly for an international flight as they will not allow you to book online a domestic transfer with that short a time (unless you booked the flights separately and they do not have it as one complete itinerary - in which case you are not protected on a delay). I'm not sure what your options are - they typically have 3 flights per day ATL-MBJ - suggest you contact them directly.

Whatever your itinerary ends up being, to better prepare here are a few suggestions.
    1) Go online to check your arrival and departure gates. Forewarning - these can, and often do, change but at least if you check you have a chance of knowing beforehand. They'll typically announce arrival gate when landing of course and you can check monitors for your departure gate once you've de-planed in case it has changed.
    2)Search online for a terminal map of Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson airport so that you have an idea of where you are going. There are plenty of maps online. You are going to depart from terminal E - the international concourse, but will come in on one of the domestic concourses (T, A, B, C, or D). Meaning you need to switch concourses. You will go down escalators in the middle of your arrival concourse to the train, take it to the end ("E") and take the escalator up to concourse E to your gate.

I agree that Delta has a lot of flights out of ATL because it's a hub, but, really, there aren't that many flights to MBJ each day. If you miss one, you might wait a long time (or have to wait until the next day). I'd see if you can get a longer layover, or, if your plans are fixed, pray that the ATL-MBJ portion is delayed that day and that your flight to ATL is right on time.

Quote Originally Posted by TL B View Post
    Hi All,

We are headed to CTI 2 months from today - Feb 15 and we cannot wait!!!

The one thing that worries me the most is that we have a very short time frame in Atlanta after our flight from Mpls. We have only 40 minutes from landing in Atlanta until our outbound flight to Montego Bay. Is this enough time? I have never been to the Atlanta airport so I don't know how it is laid out or anything. It seems like flights are always delayed out of Mpls lately. I don't want to lose any of our time that we could be at CTI having a Dirty Banana!! I am really worried about this. If it does get delayed, will they reroute us to still get us to MBJ that day? Both flights are Delta/Northwest.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

TLB
    ....Coming back from Jamaica, had a 2 hour layover and missed our flight. Got put on Standby to Memphis. Three hours is not too long a layover for Atlanta!

I always have just a 40 minute connection from my flight into Atlanta hub, several times a year, and have NEVER missed it. It's plenty of time. You hop off your plan, jump on the tram and you are there. It won't take you 20 minutes to get to where you need to be! Don't stress over this. It's TOTALLY doable!

We have flown in to Atlanta and have had only 52 minutes between flights. The Delta commuter flight comes into the main terminal (T) and International flights all go out of the "E" terminal. This is going from one end of the airport to the opposite end. We hopped on the tram and made the connection without any problems.

Google Atlanta airport and take a look at the maps. You can check the Delta website or go to flightstats.com and find out what gate your flights normally come into and go out of. This way you will at least have an idea of where you are going. You will make it without any problems.

Default 40 minutes can be done...

If you have the morning flight and are delayed arriving in Atlanta you can take the later flight to Montego Bay if space is available.... but 40 minutes is enough time to reach your connection. The Atlanta Airport layout is online so you can get an idea of where your gates are and how far you will have to go.

We fly Delta from Atlanta to MBJ and have had our departure delayed awaiting a delayed connector flight once. Usually everyone has made the flight and departure is not delayed----except that whole wait your turn to take off.

Your credit card may cover your luggage if it is delayed--check your benefits and they may cover your purchase of temporary items until your luggage arrives.

Enjoy yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by MNJenRN View Post
    We are actually heading from Mpls to CTI that same day, but we were able to get a direct flight to MoBay. Our travel agent arranged it for us, and we are on Northwest. Did you try that option? Not sure what our flight number is, but i can see if I can find it if you are interested.
    MNJenRN and Everyone,

We would love to try the direct flight - that seems like the best option. The flight # would be great if you have it. I will see if our TA can arrange it.

I appreciate everyone's help on this. If we can't get the direct flight, I will be making notes of all of your tips. I love this MB! Everyone is so helpful!!

TLB

Sun Country Airlines does direct flights out of MSP to MBJ. Cost is comparable to Northwest. Unsure of the dates, but you can check their website www.suncountry.com