Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are we really that laid back?

I have read all types of posts as I prepare for my first adventure to a Couples (CTI in 10 days). Most threads and posts offer suggestions and information about each resort (which I love). Then, there are the complaints about what people experienced while at a Couples resort (I know they are far and few!) So my question is, what are the small things that may bother you while you are vacationing at Couples nothing anyone complains about seems all that big of a deal to me. For example, hanging towels on your balcony posts, loud tourist (American or not), intoxicated people, people bragging about their children, their lives, or generally talking too much, the ride to the resort, problems with excursions, quality of food & staff, having rooms you do not like, etc. Maybe I am one of the people you are complaining about, not sure, but I believe it is easy to have a great, quality vacation without concerning yourself with things you practically cannot control! Your vacation already comes and goes faster than you can blink. Or maybe we are just that laid back? What do you think?

I think if you ask people to complain, they will find something to complain about :-)

I agree, you're going on vacay, don't think about the negative, just go with an open mind and have fun!

I think you are going to hate that they will bring drinks right to your beach chair. They don't even make you get up out of your seat to go to the bar. That really made me mad......LOL.

In our six trips to Couples, the only complaint I could possibly offer you is that they make you go home when your vacation is over.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I don't think you are as alone as it might seem on this. I can't really answer that question as I let minor inconveniences slide when I am on vacation. That is just me. As much as I would love for Couples or any other place I travel to do things according to my likes and dislikes, I know that isn't reality.

Now if these inconveniences become constant or unavoidable I have a problem but I deal with it at the time. If it is a trend then I would avoid that situation in the future. No worries, life has many options.

It sounds like you are definitely laid back & that's a good thing. We're laid back also & it allows us to enjoy ourselves without focusing on little things that maybe aren't quite perfect. We believe that having a good time is choice. I think it's sad to read reviews where people complain about a cracked tile or a dated couch in their room. If that's all it takes to ruin your good time, you should probably stay home. Relax, set your watch to island time & enjoy!

I have come to the conclusion many people need is desert Island for a week… Kind of like Robinson Crusoe… but then again, they will then complain they are lonely…

In fairness, I think a lot of people complain on this forum… because they can…. I don’t think that they are the type to complain in person but the wonderful internet allows you to be whoever you want to be…

Having said that some people do LOVE to complain! If they won a million dollars would complain about having to pay taxes on it… Seriously, it reminds me of school where you have that one kid who tattle tails on every little thing… the only problem is these are people in their late 40’s or 50’s and still doing it… We have examples of that all over this forum… “Go tell teacher”…

I always try to do two things… NEVER ask a question that you already know the answer too… such as “did your break that”…. You will only be frustrated with the answer no matter how they respond…. And the second is the same as you said above… if you can’t change it, don’t worry (or complain about it) make the best of it…

So on that note… Yes you are way too laid back! How do you think you are going to fit in with this crowd, will you please find something to complain about… like… the sea water is a 2 degrees to cold… (Ask management to turn it up a little).

We had our first trip to Couples this past May and are preparing to book our trip for this coming May. CSA was everything we were looking for in a getaway. We must be as laid back as you because I can't remember anything that bothered us. We were in paradise and everyone was just there to have a great vacation.

We have not yet been to Couples, and as a general rule I am very laid back when it comes to vacation, BUT, there is one thing at another "absolutely no tipping - all inclusive" resort that bothered the heck out of me; that was when I was absolutely ignored at the bar while guests with tips in their hands were served. I was later told that we should always have singles to top the bartenders or be prepared to be ignored. It didn't always happen, just at really busy times, when I'd wait patiently for my turn. In fact, we will not return to the other resort, and that is one of the reasons. I have no problem with tipping - but if it's expected - we need to know in advance. I've read many posts here that say tipping is a no-no. To experienced "Couples" - What's the real skinny?

Quote Originally Posted by lanellboo View Post
    I have read all types of posts as I prepare for my first adventure to a Couples (CTI in 10 days). Most threads and posts offer suggestions and information about each resort (which I love). Then, there are the complaints about what people experienced while at a Couples resort (I know they are far and few!) So my question is, what are the small things that may bother you while you are vacationing at Couples
    ....Sand Fleas could be vicious!!

n127_1359.jpg (24.4 KB)

A reminder from a dear friend "Don't be callin it down"
    Complaining is CONTAGIOUS! I run away so I don't catch it.
    I prescribed an Appleton Estate poured down the straw of any fruit drink...We call it "Lead in the Pencil"

If you give some people a forum, they will use it, some for good, some for not so good. It comes with the territory. I tend to be like you and go with the flow and enjoy whatever comes my way.

They spoiled us at couples the first time we were there, and now we have to go back every year.
    I Guess I'll have to go wash down my woes with another gin and tonic on Sunset Beach. Alas, that's not until February. What am I to do in the mean time?

David & Michele

Quote Originally Posted by KandS View Post
    I've read many posts here that say tipping is a no-no. To experienced "Couples" - What's the real skinny?
    Tipping is an absolute no-no. Employees can lose their jobs if caught accepting tips. Putting the names of employees who have rendered excellent service on the card given to you at the end of your vacation will result in their being rewarded by management.

Thank you for the laughs and different perspectives. I have just entered my single digit dance and will post reports on the message board and trip advisor when I return...I hope I didn't jinks myself!

Default Nothing to complain about

I have visited CSA twice and can barely listen to the Joint on Sirius FM without booking another reservation. Trust me, there is nothing to complain about at CSA! What I notice is that people complain about stuff they didn't bother to research. Some examples might be the distance to the airport or the heat, two things a quick look at a map or a view of the Jamaica tourist webpage might have forewarned. Also, people complain about the creature comforts of the US missing i.e. why do they not have my favorite American beer? If you are going to Jamaica because you want to be in Jamaica and not because you want to be someplace just like where you live --- but where someone else does the cooking, cleaning and the weather is much nicer--- you will have an amazing time at Couples.

I think that the "complaining" on the MB is a good thing; it helps put things into perspective and can give new guests more realistic expectations. There are many reviews that talk about how AMAZING everything is (personally, I think the word "amazing" is one of the most over-used words on the MB). If people who have never been to a Couples Resort before rely on those reviews that portray every aspect of the resort and the Couples experience as flawless, then they are bound to be disappointed. I think that if you have more realistic expectations about the inconveniences or irritations that you might experience, then your chances of being disappointed are lessened. Forewarned is forearmed. If people know in advance that they might experience certain inconveniences, they're likely to have already thought about how to deal with them.
    Last edited by Pamela; December 17th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

OK, we feel we need to give our opinion on this thread also. Cindy and I have been to couples 6 times, will be in Negril in 13 days for our 7th.

We also marvel at all the "HUGE' things that people complain about such as : No internet connections in room, what I cannt watch my favorite football game, they dont have my favorite beer, etc. etc.

We totally respect all of you that have experienced all of the couples resorts. We have not but that was by choice. I tend to be a gambler, so after our first trip we immediately discussed the return. We talked about going to another reseort, or going back to CN. Hench the gamble, we listed all the things we likes about CN, a rather long list, and then listed the few items we did not LIke, as I remember it there were two items on the list, the water preasure in the showers was low, and we wished there were screens on the patio doors. Thats it, two complains from a 8 day trip. We then asked ourselves what the odds were that we would find a resort that had more things we liked and less tat we did not like.

The odds were definitely in our favor to return to CN, and we have 5 more times, soon to be 6. Needless to say we consider ourselves huge winners.

I do agree with you Pamela in that negative posts help balance out the ones that are all super positive. Hopefully people take the bad and the good information weight both sides accordingly.

If a loud group of people would have a real negative impact on ones vacation for example, that person(s) should rethink their vacation choice. Not that it can't be a real pain but it shouldn't ruin the experience or completely change ones impression of the resort.

Two schools of thought though and neither is wrong really.

Pamela...Your last post was very well written and I do agree with you.
    Last edited by Tommywommy; February 14th, 2010 at 08:40 AM.

My opinion is that if it is going to affect me long term, then I will complain, but if not I let it slide. Vacation is short term. I am there to relax and get away from it all...guess you could call that laid back
    Kristen

Everything is paid for upfront, no surprise bill at the end, no kids, no tips, no curfews, great food, drinks, service, beautiful rooms,!!! Fun fun fun in the sun... I could complain about that all day long.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    I think that the "complaining" on the MB is a good thing; it helps put things into perspective and can give new guests more realistic expectations. There are many reviews that talk about how AMAZING everything is (personally, I think the word "amazing" is one of the most over-used words on the MB). If people who have never been to a Couples Resort before rely on those reviews that portray every aspect of the resort and the Couples experience as flawless, then they are bound to be disappointed. I think that if you have more realistic expectations about the inconveniences or irritations that you might experience, then your chances of being disappointed are lessened. Forewarned is forearmed. If people know in advance that they might experience certain inconveniences, they're likely to have already thought about how to deal with them.
    I must admit there is alot of truth in this post Pamela! No resort is perfect, Couples is not Ritz nor does it have the opulence of that kind of resort, so if people go expecting that, then they will be disappointed. Casual Caribbean elegance is a good description of Couples in my opinion!

A lot of times the root of a complaint is when a person's expectations are not met. Too often people base their expectations on little fact. When they experience the stimuli live, if it misses the mark the brain says hey i was expecting x and got y and the brains tries to provide a solution. That solution is normally shut down by emotion because emotions are instant gratification, logic is defered gratification. Those who have been to CN several time will never be heard complaining about the "luxary" of the rooms or the "lack" of true beachfront rooms" why is that ? well their expectation have been properly managed.
    Since this board is a great tool to share infomation it is also the responsibility of those seeking to search for it and cull thru the vast anmount of data. Chances are those who tend to complain about obvious things ( e.g what do you mean CSS doesnt have a cat cruise) are also those who dont invest much in managing their expectations thru due dilgence. Lack of precision in question leads to lack of precise answers which is never a good base to establish a norm or expectation

We go back to CTI every June and here is my one complaint....maybe Randymon can fix this with next years Couples Calender. I want someone to make a calender that goes January, June, February, June, March, June, April, June, May, June, June, June, June, June, June........... And I agree with the earlier posts that the only imaginable complaint you could have is that they make you go home when your vacation is over!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast