Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TimAir

Default TimAir

From now on this is the way to travel to and from MoBay. Curtis was our pilot and we had a great flight! From the time we landed in MoBay to the time we landed in Negril was about 45 minutes. Thats with going through customs.

Sounds great as we have booked them to get us to Negril. We have used a shuttle in previous trips to Ohchi and Negril and now want to experience the flight.

louleandsusie~ You will love the flight. We took it last year and really enjoyed getting to see the island coastline from the air. I also love the "airport" in Negril, reminds me of the one from my hometown when I was growing up.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Curtis is the man. Gave us the grand tour on our return trip to MBJ last year. First off with the double back and buzz of the CSA Great House pool, then over Lennox Lewis' home, Ralph Lauren's place to name a few.

Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

How much did it cost for you to fly to Negril from Montego Bay?

Default TimAir

I just booked TimAir for March and it was $105 each person 1 way or $205 round trip.

I'll save the $$$ and take the bus...more cultural...sometimes it's not all that much of a time saver.

The trip from MBJ to Negril is $105/person, one way. We agree 100%, Curtis was great to fly with! It's a great way to see the beautiful country of Jamaica from another point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie View Post
    How much did it cost for you to fly to Negril from Montego Bay?

In April 2009 around $190 per couple one way, a bit cheaper for a return, or for more than one couple.

Best to email them for a no obligation quote http://www.timair.com/rates.htm as prices do vary with the roller coaster price of fuel.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Tom & Erin; December 20th, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
    Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

105/ person if there are just two of you on the flight. Enjoy!

I just got two quotes from them this morning. Here is the email for the trip from Montego Bay to Negril:

Thank you for your e-mail. TimAir Limited provides air taxi charters to Negril (not a scheduled service). This means that we will depart as soon as you have checked in with us. Flying time is 15 minutes. Flights are only available during daylight hours.

The one-way price is US $105.00 per person, inclusive of all fees and taxes.
    The round trip price is US $205.00 per person. TimAir reserves the right to assign you to a flight with other TimAir passengers travelling at the same time, where possible. (If you prefer to have the plane for yourselves the cost is US $125 one way and $245 round trip per person.)

Please be advised that these rates quoted are the current rates and are guaranteed for a period of 30 days.

Here is the email for a flight from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay (quite a difference):

Thank you for your e-mail. TimAir Limited offers on-demand air taxi flights from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay where you charter the plane for yourselves (not a scheduled service where you buy seats on the aircraft). This means we would take-off as soon as you have checked in with us. Flying time is 30 minutes. Flights are only available during daylight hours.

The one-way charter rate for two passengers is US $464.00 inclusive of airports' user fees and taxes.

Please be advised that these rates quoted are the current rates and are guaranteed for a period of 30 days. After 30 days the rates are subject to change and may be revised. If your intended date of flight is more than 30 days away, please confirm the rates again with us.
    Last edited by Wally; December 21st, 2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Typo
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by MiGreg View Post
    I just booked TimAir for March and it was $105 each person 1 way or $205 round trip.
    The quote I just got from Timair from MB to CTI was $464 PER PERSON one way...
    I am just wondering why there is such a huge difference in the price?
    Sue

My guess is that the L&T charges at OchoRios are quite a bit higher.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnfun2 View Post
    The quote I just got from Timair from MB to CTI was $464 PER PERSON one way...
    I am just wondering why there is such a huge difference in the price?
    Sue
    I paid less than that for my round trip flight from JFK to MBJ! I'll take the bus!

What is a decent tip for the pilot on something like this? Thanks

I just booked today and it was $107.00 per person one way. That's from MB to Negril.

We were the only couple on our flight so we tipped Curtis (the pilot) $20.00 each way. As he said, "you only tip if I get you there safely." Yeah mon!

Thanks BobandJudy!

Rosa will never agree to it (the spendthrift that she be), but the thought of concluding our wonderful CTI/CN trip with a flight back to Mobay for $210 is mighty enticing.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    Rosa will never agree to it (the spendthrift that she be), but the thought of concluding our wonderful CTI/CN trip with a flight back to Mobay for $210 is mighty enticing.
    Well, when I broached the subject, Rosa at least didn't flat out reject it on the spot. But she feels that perhaps only saving anywhere from 30-90 minutes (which was mu guesstimated range of time) still doesn't warrant the cost.

So I got to wondering if we can save even more time to justify the cost. After all, the longer we can hang around CN on departure day, the easier it will be to justify, but this is gonna require some follow up questions. I did try finding answers via the search engine, being I knew Timair has been brought up a number of times in here. But I couldn't find any info when it came to one way flights going back to Mobay. Most threads generally discussed either one way FROM there or round trips.

Now I'm aware that when returning to Mobay via the usual free ground transfer, the time of departure from the resort is about 4 hours before our actual flight. This is to make sure we get to the airport on time, get thru security, blah blah blah. I'm also aware that the flight from Negril to Mobay takes about 15 minutes, so my questions are as follows:

*How much lead time do we need to factor in from leaving the resort to our flight out of Mobay if we fly with Timair?

*Transfer-wise, how would we get to the Negril airport - taxi? That's my guess and if so, how much for the ride?

*Would this be something we could put off until we're maybe a couple days from the end of our trip or would we have to arrange the flight before we even began our vacation?

Hope some of you seasoned Timair vets can answer these questions, as it just may make the difference when and how we leave Negril at the conclusion of our vacation.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Curtis is awesome! He flew my husband and I from CSA to MBJ. He was a riot. I made sure my husband took a pic of he and I. I gave him a $20 trip. It as well worth it.

Ron,
    The Negril airport is across the street from CN. We made a last minute decision to fly TimAir from CN to MoBay; made a phone call from the resort and they told us what time to arrive at the Negril airport. The staff at CN picked up our bags and arranged for a cab to drive us across the street. (We could have actually walked there!!) Curtis was there waiting for us - we loved it!

Cab ride across the street - $5
    Time? I think we left 2 1/2 hours before our MoBay flight

Good luck convincing Rosa! The scenery was amazing - and we even had time for a farewell cocktail at the airport Margaritaville!

Jan

We have pics of Curtis too!! He Is The Man!!! We Love Curtis - feel very safe when he is at the controls!!!
    Art xo Francine

Ron, I'm sure you can arrange that flight with the concierge at Couples Negril. As far as getting to and from the Negril Aerodrome and Couples Negril, its literally like crossing the street. That's where the Negril Aerodrome is... across the street from the resort.

Hope that helps...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Hi Ron. Let me see if I can help you here. We flew TimAir one way, Negril to MBJ, on our departure from CN in December. We absolutely loved it. (I mentioned it in the review I posted.)

Now bear in mind that at that time, there was road construction in MoBay and I believe all the vans and busses were leaving the resort an hour earlier than normal. The CN staff initially missed the fact that we were booked on TimAir, so they told us to be ready to board the bus at 9:15 am, for an Air Canada flight departing MBJ at 2:20 pm. That's 5 hours before flight time! I think 4 to 4 1/2 is the norm.

TimAir, on the other hand, originally told us to be at the Negril airstrip at 11:45 for a noon departure, and then moved the departure time up to 11:45 due to aircraft availability. Still, We left CN at 11:30 in a cab for the 60-second drive across the street to the airstrip. Just under 3 hours before MBJ flight time!

So we saved 2 hrs and 15 minutes. Just 30 minutes after Curtis took off from Negril, we were standing in the Air Canada checkin line at MBJ,reflecting on how energized we were by the beautiful flight along the coast, compared to past trips where we were already weary from a grueling 2 hour ride on the bus.

One thing that may help you justify the trip is to think of it as an excursion. We don't often take excursions off the resort, but many of them can run you close to $100 per person or more. A 15 minute flight along the coast in a small plane is a pretty nice experience all by itself, no? I could justify it at least once just as an excursion.

Now, to finally get back to your questions: Couples will arrange a taxi to take you to the Negril airstrip. No charge, but you should probably tip the driver a few bucks. You should also be prepared to tip the pilot and several baggage handlers along the way. It's probably better to arrange the TimAir flight in advance, since they only have a few aircraft, but if you're not 100% certain you can always try to book it from the resort. I'm sure the Couples desk staff will help you.

To summarize, a TimAir flight back to MBJ is a great choice if you can afford it because:
    • It allows you more time at the resort
    • It eliminates the most uncomfortable 2 hours of the journey home
    • It is a beautiful, fun, exciting experience

Good luck with your decision.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast