Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TimAir

We were hoping to try it from CTI to CN, but our quote today from Ocho to negril was $646!!! (That's for 2)

Wowzers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    . . . . *How much lead time do we need to factor in from leaving the resort to our flight out of Mobay if we fly with Timair?

*Transfer-wise, how would we get to the Negril airport - taxi? That's my guess and if so, how much for the ride?

*Would this be something we could put off until we're maybe a couple days from the end of our trip or would we have to arrange the flight before we even began our vacation?
    . . . .
    (1) You don't need to factor in any lead time. Couples will let you know what time your transfer is scheduled. If you fly back to MoBay as opposed to taking ground transportation, you get to stay at the resort an extra two hours. For us, that's meant being able to spend the entire morning on the beach and have one last lunch at the resort rather than being on the road in the morning and eating at the airport. It might not sound like a big deal now, but once you're there, you won't want to leave.

(2) Just as Couples schedules a shuttle to Sangster Airport for those returning to MoBay via ground transportation, Couples will schedule a shuttle to take you across the street to the Negril airstrip. It's appropriate to tip the driver.

(3) You don't have to schedule it far in advance or before you arrive in Jamaica. If you decide to fly, simply stop by Guest Services, and someone will assist you in booking the flight
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Ron & Rosa 25,
    The Negril Aerodrone is almost directly across the street from CN. You can walk there if you wanted to. The wonderful staff at CN will give you a ride though since you will have luggage. You do save about an hour by taking the flight, more time to enjoy CN. We always take the bus going to the resort (we've been to CN & CSS many times) since you get to see more of the country & people. We do love taking the flight back though because it's like an off site excursion. You get to see the beauty of Jamaica from a birds eye view. I highly recommend it. One time we made reservations through the front desk a couple of days before leaving with no problem. Other times we reserved before going. There is another airline that will start flying in April. I don't know how much yet or what date they will start. The web site is www.jamaicaairshuttle.com. Hope that helps. CSA in April!!!

We took the bus to CN in January and it only took about 85 minutes each way. And we left the Couples Lounge within 5 mins of arriving -- it was the quickest trip ever. However, it was on Saturday both ways and there is construction on the road right outside of Montego Bay which could slow you down a bit.

One way to shorten your ride considerably is ask the driver not to stop for beer/restroom break unless you're desperate for the latter. In our case, the stop was only about 20 mins from CN, where there are plenty of restrooms and the beer flows freely! And, if you ask to stop, consider the entire bus must do so and your fellow travelers may be anxious to get to the resort. Just saying.

Also, returning to MBJ, you can request to take a later bus than the one you're scheduled for which, right now, departs 5 hrs before your flight due to construction. However, you MUST sign a waiver stating that, if you miss your flight, you can't "blame" Couples, which is fair.

Thus, my advice is to take TimAir if you want a really great view of the island and if saving an hour or so is worth the cost. Only you can answer those questions for yourselves.

Ron and Rosa

*How much lead time do we need to factor in from leaving the resort to our flight out of Mobay if we fly with Timair?

We left the resort (CN) at 3 pm for a 550Pm flight at Mo Bay and walked across the street to the airport where TimAir is located.
    Our flight left Negril about 330 for MoBay.

*Transfer-wise, how would we get to the Negril airport - taxi? That's my guess and if so, how much for the ride?

Couples resort supplys transportation to the Negril airport.

*Would this be something we could put off until we're maybe a couple days from the end of our trip or would we have to arrange the flight before we even began our vacation?

I made the arrangements before we left to Jamaica with TimAir by fax,

When you land at MoBay on Tim Air a shuttle takes you to the international terminal, we checked in at 4PM for our 550PM flight and had plenty of time to walk around the airport and browse in stores and get some food to take on our flight.

The flight itself is excellent you get an amazing view on Jamaica and the landing approach is awsoms I took some great photos as we came in for our landing. It was funny to see all these big Jets waiting on line to approach the runway for this little plane tp land! We flew in the four seater and I sat up front in the co pilots seat it was awsome!

Thanks gang for the always excellent feedback and advice. The more I thought about it after posting my qustions, the more I felt my last question regarding when we can make the reservations if we choose to fly back was probably the most important, because we don't want to get locked into committing until we've had a chance to see how things are going and want to determine at that time if we'll opt to hang at the resort for what Pamela says can be as much as two additional hours by choosing to fly. So I was relieved to read her response that we can wait until we're already there and simply arrange the flight with Guest Services. Also nice to know they'll take us over there for free, even tho it's virtually right across the street (I swear I learn something new every day on this board). Even tho it would be otherwise short enough to walk, I'm sure we'll take advantage of the transfer due to the luggage we'll be hauling. Thanks again, so very much appreciated.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

What really made it worthwhile for us on the trip back was not having to ride 2 hours on a bus thinking about how much we miss CSA. Bob also wanted me to point out that that 2 hour ride can be a killer if you have to use the facilities because you snorked down a few beers before checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by BobandJudy View Post
    What really made it worthwhile for us on the trip back was not having to ride 2 hours on a bus thinking about how much we miss CSA. Bob also wanted me to point out that that 2 hour ride can be a killer if you have to use the facilities because you snorked down a few beers before checkout.
    Hahaha - that was hilarious!! And likely will be true for us as well. I can just picture us sucking down drink after drink trying to get in as much fun as possible in those final hours!

The advantage of flying back to Mobay is even greater because of something I didn't pick up until I read the posts again. ggo85 points out that due to road construction, they now schedule the ground transfer 5 hours before the flight. So I'm thinking that going with Timair may result in as much as a 3 hour time savings that could be put to greater use at the resort.
    Ron

Default tipping timair pilot

We/ve decided to book Tim Air for our upcoming trip to CSA in May...what sort of tip is given to the pilot??

The one time we flew TA, we tipped the pilot $20, same as we tip the bus driver. Better bus, better view, same distance... lol.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Never flew Timair but should you really tip the pilot? I'm not a cheapskate and always tip accordingly but I would think a pilot is a "white collar job" so to speak and you paid for the flight. I wouldn't think of tipping the Continental pilot. It's the same thing no? I understand tipping bus drivers, baggage handlers, massage therapists, etc. I'm just asking so please don't crucify me!

mobob -

You make a valid point, but the Timair planes are more like an air taxi than a flight. I have no idea what the skyjockies for Timair make, but I suspect Continental (Delta, United, American, etc.) pilots do somewhat better ;-) .
    Chris

Great Timair story. We took Timair for the first time from CN to Sangster in 2004. The plane was a little late coming over from Kingston due to a storm in that area, but we still had plenty of time. We're waiting near the tarmac and finally see our plane coming. It's a 4 seat Cessna, circa Wright Brothers. The pilot lands and, in a cloud of black smoke, pulls up. The look on my wifes face as she asked "we're not really getting in this thing are we?" was priceless. I told her "no problem mon" and we got in. I can't recall the pilots name but he was a riot. As he taxied down he asked us to close the side widows ans secure them with the bungee cords hanging there. I was laughing, my wife, who was very tan when we got on the plane (we were at CN for 11 days) and she was as white as a ghost. As we took off he proceeded to give us the same speech you hear on a commercial jet. "We will be travlin' mon at 10,000 feet, refreshments will be served etc. We were both cracking up. Maybe due to nervousness?? When I looked at the dashboard I noticed none of the gauges worked, they were all pegged at zero. We hit a small storm and he handled it like a pro. We were never in danger and we laugh about it to this day. Since then we have flown Timair 4-5 times and the planes are much newer than that one flight so don't let this deter you. Timair is the way to go. we will be flying them from CSA this April.

Quote Originally Posted by rjammin View Post
    Great Timair story. We took Timair for the first time from CN to Sangster in 2004. The plane was a little late coming over from Kingston due to a storm in that area, but we still had plenty of time. We're waiting near the tarmac and finally see our plane coming. It's a 4 seat Cessna, circa Wright Brothers. The pilot lands and, in a cloud of black smoke, pulls up. The look on my wifes face as she asked "we're not really getting in this thing are we?" was priceless. I told her "no problem mon" and we got in. I can't recall the pilots name but he was a riot. As he taxied down he asked us to close the side widows ans secure them with the bungee cords hanging there. I was laughing, my wife, who was very tan when we got on the plane (we were at CN for 11 days) and she was as white as a ghost. As we took off he proceeded to give us the same speech you hear on a commercial jet. "We will be travlin' mon at 10,000 feet, refreshments will be served etc. We were both cracking up. Maybe due to nervousness?? When I looked at the dashboard I noticed none of the gauges worked, they were all pegged at zero. We hit a small storm and he handled it like a pro. We were never in danger and we laugh about it to this day. Since then we have flown Timair 4-5 times and the planes are much newer than that one flight so don't let this deter you. Timair is the way to go. we will be flying them from CSA this April.
    You're right, great story! Just loved it!

Gotta tell you guys, I'm pretty much sold on flying back to Mobay. But we'll undoubtedly keep playing it by ear until Rosa's convinced as well. I'll just let CN seduce her to the point that she'll be begging me to book Timair.
    Ron

Hi! We just used TimAir on Tuesday to head from CN to the airport. Our flight was at 3:30 and we were told that we would have to have our bags out by 9:30 and leave the resort at 10:30 on the shuttle. Some of the people we had met there told us about TimAir. After all of the traffic and time it took us to take the shuttle in (over 2 hours-we had landed around 5:30 on Friday and everything was backed up)the thought of a 15 minute trip was too enticing to not investigate.

We paid $105/person and the airport is directly across from CN. CN will arrange for your transportation over. We made reservations at the front desk a day and a half prior to our departure. The best part about it was we didn't have to have our bags out until noon and we left the resort at 12:45. That gave us time to swim, lay on the beach a short time, shower and still get lunch. I feel that was worth the added expense.

If you're short on time, I highly recommend using TimAir.

Quote Originally Posted by meece View Post
    Hi! We just used TimAir on Tuesday to head from CN to the airport. Our flight was at 3:30 and we were told that we would have to have our bags out by 9:30 and leave the resort at 10:30 on the shuttle. Some of the people we had met there told us about TimAir. After all of the traffic and time it took us to take the shuttle in (over 2 hours-we had landed around 5:30 on Friday and everything was backed up)the thought of a 15 minute trip was too enticing to not investigate.

We paid $105/person and the airport is directly across from CN. CN will arrange for your transportation over. We made reservations at the front desk a day and a half prior to our departure. The best part about it was we didn't have to have our bags out until noon and we left the resort at 12:45. That gave us time to swim, lay on the beach a short time, shower and still get lunch. I feel that was worth the added expense.

If you're short on time, I highly recommend using TimAir.
    I like the math....2 hours and 15 minutes extra for which to soak in the final day of our vacation. Our flight time is similar to what yours was, we leave at 3:50pm. And like you said, that allows for some extra swim/relax time, plus enjoy one last lunch at a nice leisurely pace.

I'm going to make Rosa read this post at home tonite!
    Ron

Default TimAir

A simple reply. "Just Do It!!!!!" It is worth the investment.
    GREANJAC

Mobob - I was surprised, too, about tipping the pilot on TimAir. However, different country, different customs. He definitely was expecting a tip and said so. Of course, you don't HAVE to tip anybody if you don't want to.

I remember reading that in Japan, it is considered rude to tip taxi cab drivers. So, it just depends on what the local customs are, regardless of white collar or blue collar. I for one was more than happy to give Curtis his tip after he got us to Negril safely.

We tipped Curtis $20-$25,can't remember. We are going to use Timair on our next trip as well. The views and time saved to us were well worth the money.

Thanks!!We've decided to book TimAir for our May 2 visit to CSA.
    The price is quite reasonable..and a definate must do!

How much does it cost to get from the Negril Airport to CSA. I know CN is across the street, and in that case, I'd walk it, but what's involved in getting to CSA?

Thanks!

Ha!! Got Rosa sold on the flight back to Mobay. We'll probably wait until much closer to the trip, if not until we're there before booking it, but aside from that, it looks like a go!
    Ron

SweptAway is about 2 miles from the gate at the Aerodrome and Couples Negril. You'll need to take a cab (I'm seeing about a $10 fare). Not sure if SweptAway will send a van or not...
    Chris

Inthesun - there were cabs waiting at the Negril Aerodome when we arrive via TimAir. We just took one of the waiting cabs to CSA. The fare was $12 to CSA and $10 from CSA back to the Negril airstrip (go figure). I believe there is a shuttle that you can call to pick you up, but we were so excited to get to CSA, we didn't want to wait another minute.

I had gotten a very large quote when I emailed Timair, nothing like the posts here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast