Default Best way to call home

Hi, We will be at CN in 7 days!!My daughter is getting married @ CN and I just wanted to know what is the best way to phone home? I have Verizon, is the service back to the states good? Or should I purchase a calling card when we get to Jamaica? Or should I use the internet to email? I will be grateful for any help or info. Thanks in advance. Carol

Default Calling back home

If you plan on bringing a laptop, you can sign up for a yahoo messenger account before leaving and you will have to prepay for a $10 account. You can then call back with your laptop and a headset (from Wal-mart around $15) and it only cost one cent per minute to call back anywhere in the United States. We signed up two years ago and after two trips we have around $7 left on our account. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have questions.

The calling cards are what we have used in the past as our cell phone (Sprint) does not work in Negril. Your mileage may vary of course. Calling cards are easy and economical. Remember, you have to ask for them at the gift shop, they are not out on display as they are pre-loaded before purchase. We have also used email effectively now that our daughters are older and have their own lap tops and email. We will look into the Yahoo accounts, that is new to us but sounds pretty cool. Thanks for that info.
    My advice is NOT to call using a credit card and a long distance operator. This is reportedly very expensive and there are too many other more economical ways to call to resort to this method.

Have a great trip! Congratulations to you and your daughter.

Back in early December we picked up a "Jus Talk" calling card in one of the CSA gift shops...US$9.00 for 100 minutes (plus US$2.00 charged by CSA to connect through their switchboard). Just dial "zero" from your room phone and ask the resort operator to connect you to Jus Talk and follow the voice promts. We called our daughter everyday for a week, so it cost us US$23 total.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Skype... it is free.

I stand on the beach, facing north, and shout out, "Hello? Hello?" several times. If no one answers, I go back to drinking.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

We e-mail, but our kids are older, so they don't want to talk to us anyway. Last year, hubby got a digicell, pay as you go phone on line before leaving...just in case. We didn't use it. We saw other people using a phone from their computer outside the lobby and in the lobby at CTI. I can't remember what they called it.
    Vicky

We have always used the "Jus-Talk" cards too.
    Kristen

If you have a ipod touch, you can convert it to a phone and use the hotel's wi-fi to place calls. There is a free app called Truphone, and you can download that onto your ipod, put some $ in a truphone account,buy a set of headphones/microphone (cheap), and use your ipod like a phone. I've done it and it works great! I think it costs about $.05/minute - easier than bringing a laptop anyway.

Thank you all so much for your information, we leave on Dec. 30th for CN. Can't wait to get out of the cold here in CT. and sit on the beach!!!