Default Appleton Rum 12-yr-old Tips?

I gave my wife a bottle of 12-year-old Appleton rum in her stocking and we were just discussing the most appropriate way to consume it...with coke as we normally do with VX? Beside a roaring fire in the fireplace in our bathing suits listening to some reggae?

Any rum connoisseurs out there that can give us some advice?

Neat or on the rocks. I only can manage to mix Overproof and regular Appleton without feelings of guilt.

We were at Appleton last week and they strongly suggest drinking it straight - no mixer...
    the music and ambience are up to you.

Default Ruminiscing-

I'd light the fire, just use some ice and skip the suits. Kill the lights, fire up a few candles and play some reggae.
    Good Luck!

Ok, call us babies! We tried it on the rocks and it ws a bit strong. I guess having it that way will be an acquired taste. We will have to keep reducing the coke until we can enjoy it neat.

I tried talking my seetheart into sone neat rum body shots infront of the fire tonight but the thought of belly button lint floating in her aged rum sort of nixed the idea!!!! Back to mixing it with coke I guess.

Thanks for the tips everyone. We will be sure to be ringing in the new year with a few shots of Appleton, cheers!

Here's my take... it took 12 years to impart that whiskey smooth flavor into that Appleton rum, why destroy all that hard work in just one coke splash? If you prefer the coke flavor, stick with the VX or Special.

As for acquiring the taste, I'm only half kidding when I say that you should "practice" sipping a good Kentucky Bourbon. Believe it or not, this is where Appleton's premium rums get their distinct flavor... by aging in barrels previously used by American bourbon distillers.

For my money, VX and better are for sipping... Special and White (available in Jamaica as "Genesis") are for mixing.

Enjoy responsibly... nekkid or otherwise!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

The best way to drink it is however you like it. I would be enjoying it on the rocks, but I enjoy spirits that way.

Appleton Reserve on the rocks. yummmmmmmmmmm

VX is good but the after flavor of the Reserve stays with your taste buds a long long time.

Appleton's and Coke with a twist of lime

Why don't you mix it with some island fruit juices?

My favorite is Appleton, Tonic and Lime, the 12 year old is sooo good with the tonic and lime.

12 year old is for sipping! :-o - if you want a rum for mixing I'll send you a bottle of Appleton Special from my local off-license and you can send me the 12yr (I'm running low!).

I've found the best way to appreciate it is to have it at room temperature or even slightly warmed if your room is on the cool side (warm your tumbler with some hot water etc), this releases the aroma and allows more of the flavour to be released on the palate. My experience is that this also helps with smoothness, just take very small sips and savour them in the mouth before swallowing.

Thanks for the tips everyone. We will keep trying it various ways to see what works for us. The warmed glass releasing the aromas is something we will have to experience.

One other question: I know that red wine and old cheeses are often paired together but is there anything that you would typically eat while sipping the aged rum? Something a little more appropriate or exotic than the typical munchies?

Interesting learning about rum etiquette. The Mrs. and I hadn't really thought much about it before.

Rum etiquette?? That's good. Actually, these are all personal preferences, and I guess you should enjoy the way you want... by definition, this is what "enjoyment" is, I guess. Why restrict yourself to other peoples' preferences?

As for pairings, I have found that a few nibbles of chocolate go really, REALLY well with Appleton Extra or VX.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ruminiscing View Post
    I gave my wife a bottle of 12-year-old Appleton rum in her stocking and we were just discussing the most appropriate way to consume it...with coke as we normally do with VX? Beside a roaring fire in the fireplace in our bathing suits listening to some reggae?

Any rum connoisseurs out there that can give us some advice?
    ....We usually go with Spiced Rum in Coke with Lime Juice (Cuba Libre). But you're talking GOOD stuff here.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/12721/thre...0,vepisode,1,0

For those have not seen this episode it is great!

It has the Appleton tour.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ruminiscing View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone. We will keep trying it various ways to see what works for us. The warmed glass releasing the aromas is something we will have to experience.

One other question: I know that red wine and old cheeses are often paired together but is there anything that you would typically eat while sipping the aged rum? Something a little more appropriate or exotic than the typical munchies?

Interesting learning about rum etiquette. The Mrs. and I hadn't really thought much about it before.
    ....Below is a site for Appleton Farm Rum drinks. Note that they use the less expensive Appleton "Gold".

http://www.golocaljamaica.com/entert...t/ATI/mix.html

Stoked -

Zane Lamprey is a hoot! We watch him quite often... and the Jamaican episode was hilarious!
    Chris