Default I'M SCARED...of Sand Fleas

We are off to CN for the first time in 4 days! DH and I bought Off with 32% of Deet. I'm trying to read more threads about Sand Fleas and the repellents. Not getting a definite answer. I saw the pictures of the bites. It's got me thinking...... I'm having a minor breakdown here. I'm scared of those Sand Fleas and I want to be able to come out on the beach at night too. What's the number repellent for us to get?!?!?!? Help me! I may have to lock myself up in our room at night.
    Honeymoonin' at CN on January 3rd - 11th!

We take one vitamin B daily and have never had a problem with sand fleas at any Couples resort. Besides vitamin B is good for you.
    Also try to go easy on the perfume and cologne, they attract bugs as well

If you choose to take vitamin D you have to start taking it 30 to 60 days in advance to be effective.

sand fleas are most prevelant in damp sand so if you are near breakdown why torture yourself avoid the beach at night early early morning and right after a rain. that is about as definite of an answeer that you will be able to receive it all about setting your expectations
    then again if you pack a pair of uggs chances are you can walk on the beach and not worry. enjoy

First and foremost, don't freak out about the fleas.

While they have been a popular point of angst for many, they are not the evil force that they have become in message board legends. We have not had a problem with them at all, but I understand that they can be bothersome for some. Watch your thread here and you will get lots of advice for repellents and remedies. Maybe avoid long walks in the sand at night. But be cool, it will all be just fine.

Have a great trip, and relax.

What steverandlinda said is right -- avoid the beach at sunrise, sunset and after a heavy rain and you will be fine! I had an incident with them this last trip but I never had before, so it's hit or miss. The nurse had told me about a shot you can get in advance - a steroid - that will keep them from biting you. If it will make you feel better, maybe you should look into that? Good luck.
    Melea & Joseph
    CN - '06, '07, '08
    CSS and CSA - '09
    CSA - '10

I had a problem with them in the evenings, but my husband did not. It's weird how some seem more attractive to them than others. I took a daily vitamin B supplement & wore a vitamin B patch for a few days. It apparetnly didn't work for me. No problem though. We just avoided the beach during that short window. When I too sunset pictures & just made sure I was on the sidewalk.

Anything with DEET should work. You can even use as low as 7% Deet. Just be careful with that stuff, afterall, it is a chemical. Also, be sure to put it in a baggie in your suitcase. Cabin pressure can make pumps and aerosols leak.
    Have a great trip, and don't worry about the fleas. We've never had a problem, or even heard of problems except for on this message board.
    You will love CN.

I put repellent on my legs up to my knees every evening and did not have a problem. I used over the counter Off, nothing special and it worked.

OK.... lab results with mosquitoes definitively prove that the maximum concentration of DEET (95%+) will provide the most effective protection. This is also the case with sand fleas in our experience. We use the DeepWoods OFF for Sportsmen with 95% DEET. Difficult to find, but worth it. Try your local Walgreens or any good sporting goods store.

But here is the thing about high concentrations of DEET. It is mostly a petroleum distillate. Although it is safe to use, it has properties that will cause it to degrade, soften or melt many plastic-based clothing items, including parts of wedding gowns.

But, if applied properly to the skin (that is to say, liberally), it WILL keep the nasty chiggers away. Also, please wash it off prior to swimming. All of us tourists wearing it in the ocean could have an accumulative adverse affect on the reefs.

I hope that helps.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

It must be condition related as stated in a previous post in this thread. I guess some people have had bad experiences with the sand fleas.

We spent a week at CN in April, watched every sunset from the water's edge, had a private dinner on the beach one night and neither of us got one bite. No deet. No vitamin B.

I guess we were lucky.

Good luck!

ENJOY!

I got really bit up when I was there also. We didn't go on the beach at night, except for the beach party. Do you think you could get bit just walking up and down the beach path or sitting on your veranda if you have a BFVS? I will definetely put on the bug spray next time.

JR&Jojo

Of all the years we have gone to CN I have yet to have been bitten by a sand flea. Of course I would bite them back but as of this date not one bite.

Could it be the Appleton Rum inside me that they don't like?

There is a wonderful repellent made right here in Jamaica, and most likely (I would hope), sold in your property's gift shop. It's called "NO MOSQUITO" and will work for both the mosquitos and the sand fleas. The bottle is small and easily fits into a pocket or purse and can be with you where ever you go. No chemicals, only botanical ingredients, and for me, is hands down better than foreign sprays with deet. It has a nice citrus smell to it and can be used alone or mixed together with your favorite moisturizer.

Sand fleas are not just found in sand...but in grass lawns and wooden decking....people who spritz down their legs, but forget their exposed backs or the backs of their arms may get some bites if they lay in lounge chairs or hammocks that are close to the ground.

A simple spritz of the repellent an hour before sunset should do the trick - no need to go back to the room for it if you remember to carry it with you.

Hi
    I used a combo of two repellents both had Deet. I highly agree with everyone that says to avoid the beach at night and after it rains. I forgot to put bug spray on one day and was on the beach after the rain fall for approx 1/2 hour, I ended up getting about 100 bites on each leg (no lie). It was awful and my next trip I will always use bug spray and avoid the beach at night and after the rain. The red marks on my legs lasted for over a month(I did not scratch them and applied vitamin E oil daily). One of the girls we met on our trip had the same problem and she ended up receiving cortisone shots from the couples nurse, and came home with some issues surrounding the bites.

I will always stick to the pools at night, they are just are nice at night! If you avoid the beach during those times and wear bug spray with deet you will be fine. However, bring some anti-histamine cream just to be safe (it is ridiculously expensive at the resort gift store!

Quote Originally Posted by JR&Jojo View Post
    We are off to CN for the first time in 4 days! DH and I bought Off with 32% of Deet. I'm trying to read more threads about Sand Fleas and the repellents. Not getting a definite answer. I saw the pictures of the bites. It's got me thinking...... I'm having a minor breakdown here. I'm scared of those Sand Fleas and I want to be able to come out on the beach at night too. What's the number repellent for us to get?!?!?!? Help me! I may have to lock myself up in our room at night.
    ....I used a good repellent on my legs figuring they wouldn't go any higher, WRONG!! My legs were saved, but they tore up my arms and torso. I got bit the worse. Mike, a few times. The ladies didn't get bit at all. Don't know what was up with that!.

4 trips (so far), no bug spray, and neither hubby nor myself have had one single bite. Now jellyfish are another story!
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013

We spent 5 days - four nights @ CN and either one of us walked away with one bite! Enjoy yourselves and don't worry!!!!

Default sand fleas...

We've been to CSS, CSA, and CN and I've been eaten alive every time. But then again I'm also swarmed in center city Philadelphia so what can you do?

I'm always trying to find new things to try...on our recent trip to CSS I found 100% DEET online. It actually seemed to be working quite well but then after a day or to my skin literally started dry up and crack apart, so obviously I had to scrap that.

Next time I plan to try the vitamin B thing, also I've had mild success with Skin So Soft. Keep off the damp sand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    OK.... lab results with mosquitoes definitively prove that the maximum concentration of DEET (95%+) will provide the most effective protection. This is also the case with sand fleas in our experience. We use the DeepWoods OFF for Sportsmen with 95% DEET. Difficult to find, but worth it. Try your local Walgreens or any good sporting goods store.

But here is the thing about high concentrations of DEET. It is mostly a petroleum distillate. Although it is safe to use, it has properties that will cause it to degrade, soften or melt many plastic-based clothing items, including parts of wedding gowns.

But, if applied properly to the skin (that is to say, liberally), it WILL keep the nasty chiggers away. Also, please wash it off prior to swimming. All of us tourists wearing it in the ocean could have an accumulative adverse affect on the reefs.

I hope that helps.
    I work for a company that makes insect repellent. I have read the EPA labels, and anything with DEET should work. Personally, I wouldn't EVER wear anything higher than 40% DEET. They make formulas as low as 7%. But, to be safe, I would wear the 32% you bought.
    Also, any brand will work. Just check the active ingredients. They are all the same chemical, just a different brand.
    Have a wonderful trip, and don't worry about the fleas!!!!

Regular bug spray doesn't work for sand fleas because they are not really "fleas". Sand fleas are crustaceans and are more similar to shrimp. They feed on organic and decaying plants, such as the seaweed that may wash up on shore at night or in the early morning. They like cool, dark, damp areas so you won't find them on the beach during the day.

Don't freak out and waste any more worry on the sand fleas. In all of our trips, we were only bitten once and it was at night during a dinner on the beach at CSS, right near the water. If you do get bit, it's similar to a mosquito bite, so hydrocortisone cream will work to relieve the itching. We try to stay off the beach at night, especially if it's cool or damp.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Are you afraid of mosquitos??? same thing. We just got back and I was bit the first night before I used bug repellent, but the bites are just like mosquitoe bites, no biggie. Just bring some repellent.

Quote Originally Posted by mysandytoes View Post
    We've been to CSS, CSA, and CN and I've been eaten alive every time. But then again I'm also swarmed in center city Philadelphia so what can you do?
    ....I think some of us just attract mosquitoes, and in this case, Sand Fleas.