Default YS Falls vs. Mayfield Falls

1.Which of the falls is closer to CSA?

2.Which of the falls is the better of the 2?

3.How long does this excursion take?

4.Can you combine the falls with another excursion, if so which one(s) & what do you recommend?

5.What should you wear and take with you?

6.What is the cost to see the falls?

Any other information on this topic is much appreciated. We will be heading to CSA in March. Thanks for your help!

Mayfield is closer to Negril....a little over an hour away, while YS is an easy hour and forty five minutes from the beach.

"Which is better" is so subjective....Mayfield is definitely for those who prefer a more interactive experience as far, far less time is spent "observing" as opposed to being right down in the water the whole time you make your way up river. There will always be less people at Mayfield...at times it might seem as if you're the only one on the whole river.

The actual time in the water/on the property can vary. Mayfield itself will be a couple of hours, YS can be anywhere from 20 minutes to over 5 hours...depending on how you got there (private driver or large excursion company 'shuttle' type bus.) Length of time at YS will be determined by whether or not you're trying to get in more attractions the same day or concentrate on just your visit there with impromptu stops along the way. At YS, the Chukka Blue company has also set us a zip line activity...two short and one long. If you do this, the length of your stay at YS could conceivably be longer...or maybe you'd just have less water play time.

Mayfield is best done on it's own...may not sound like much in the descriptions online, but trust me, you're going to be sleeping good that night and grateful not to have packed in a bunch more "stuff" in your day.
    YS can be combined with the Black River Safari ride or Appleton or the Pelican Bar. I know many people receommend squeezing in three or four of these sites into one outing...however....based on being in the business, I can tell you that people who limit their outing to just two spots are more relaxed, can decide how much time to spend at each place, can feel more in charge of their day and the time frame of most everything involved.

For both locations, wear your bathing suits under your clothes, Bring or wear water shoes or a strap on sandal with non-skid soles. Bring a towel. Have your camera batteries well charged and plenty of room on the memory cards. No need for a special waterproof camera as the guides at both locations are masters with any kind of camera and will get some great shots for you. You'll also want to bring some money for food and drinks during the day and as a tip for the "water guide" who will help you get the most out of your experience when actually in the water.

The cost of the excursion may be factored into your price depending on who it is quoted by. Whether you use someone booked through the tour desk at the resort, a driver in the resort parking lot, or an independent operator, they will clarify for you if the price quoted is transportation only with you having to pay entrance fees once at the attraction sites...or if the quoted price covers both transportation AND entrance fee.

Wow, Road Gypsy... great job!... I suspect I know you. You've nailed these two excursions PERFECTLY! You sure seem to know your stuff, if you know what I mean. If you THINK I'm right, drop me a line! chris dot bevers at sbcglobal dot net.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"