Default Sand Flea Bites...YIKES!

My husband and I were at CSA Dec. 17th-24th. Our last morning we were there we were at the beach early and got a few sand flea bites! I had a few bumps on our flight home and have continued to get more..Ahh...We have been home for a week and now my husband has been getting them too and oh my gosh do they ITCH! I am curious if other people have experienced this and what we should do to stop this ANYTHING WILL HELP!

nkweisbeck

Sand Fleas are similar to Chiggers know throughout the southern USA. Try putting fingernail polish on the bite to smother the itching. It doesn't matter which color but you guys might want to use the clear.

I slathered copious amounts of hydrocortisone cream all over my bites and that helped a lot. I looked up a lot of remedies online but that's the only one I actually used. We were there at the same time, so those sand fleas were on a mission around Christmas, huh! :P We've been home a week and I still have the marks from the bites, but they are slowly healing. I learned a hard lesson about bug spray, that's for sure.
    Melea & Joseph
    CN - '06, '07, '08
    CSS and CSA - '09
    CSA - '10

Cortizone cream twice a day. Or, see your doctor and he will give you a steroid cortizone cream. I went thru the very same thing my last trip.

I don't play a doctor on TV, but my guess is that the bumps are an allergic reaction to a bite, or bites, you received in Jamaica. I would suggest a decent allergy medication, such as benadryl, and maybe a topical application like hydrocortisone.

Like all things, this too will pass.

okay so I did some research about these and I am a little freaked about these too. any advice?How to Prevent Sand Flea Bites

Contributor
    By eHow Contributing Writer
    Article Rating: (16 Ratings)
    Most people think of a trip to the beach and imagine nothing more than sand, sun and good times. Few people imagine red, itchy welts on the backs of their legs. Anyone who has dealt with sand flea bites knows that they're not much fun at the beach. Take these precautions at your next beach excursion to prevent sand flea bites.

Email
    Print Article
    Add to Favorites
    Flag Article

Difficulty: Moderately EasyInstructions
    Step 1Try to avoid the beach after it has rained. These moist, cooler conditions seem to put the fleas at their friskiest state. Give the area a chance to dry and warm up a little before venturing out.

Step 2Wait until mid-morning to early afternoon to go the beach, as the cooler early morning hours are a favorite time of these little mites.

Step 3Give your body a good coating of insect repellent before heading out. Check the label to make sure that the repellent works on fleas and not just mosquitoes.

Step 4Put something between yourself and the sand before sitting down, be it a beach towel or lawn chair. The reason sand flea bites are commonly located on the backs of the thighs is because this is the most exposed and accessible area when sitting directly on the sand.

did you have any bug spray on

i iched bumps on my legs for 2 weeks after i returned from a 6 day trip in november. I had no symptoms there, they showed up upon my return home. I used caladryl and will power to help with the itch. They were gone completely by the third week back.

Regular bug spray doesn't work for sand fleas because they are not really "fleas". Sand fleas are crustaceans and are more similar to shrimp. Try not to scratch (easier said than done, I know). hydrocortisone cream will help with the itching, as will a mixture of baking soda and water. You can also take an anti-inflammatory, such as ibuprofen if they are really bad or swell.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Default Sand Fleas

We were at CSA Nov 30 - Dec 10. After four days I was covered with red itchy bumps and decided to visit the nurse on the resort. She took one look and knew what it was. She asked if I would like to have the Dr. come to the resort.
    I said, "absolutely" as I needed relief. He diagnosed it as an "acute alergic reaction to sand fleas". The Doc explained bug spray only stays on your skin a short time ("minutes"). His recommendation was to spray your clothing instead, stay off the beach at sundown and if you do go on the beach after sundown to wear clothing that covers your skin. For people with severe reactions, cortisone cream does nothing. He gave me a steroid injection and prednisone taper and it worked within 24 hrs.

We were just at CSA Dec6th-13th and there was 8 of us. Out of the 4 couples only 3 had bites all over their legs. We went to the gift shop and bought some bug spray and at least I think it worked, as I never had one bite on me. But my sister was eaten alive, first time that has ever happened, as we usually go in January and have never had a problem.

Benadryl makes a great clear Gel that goes on cool and stops the itching immediately.

not sure if this will work on sand flees, but herre in Fl, red ants run rampant and love to bite and leave festering blisters that burn & itch to no end. A friend suggested using staight ammonia on those bites and it takes the itch away instantly, and dries up the bites quite quickly. You might want to give it a try, its cheap!
    Helen in Fl next trip to CSA 12/18/10 (hope no sand flees!)

Default Sand Fleas at CSS??

Hi everyone,

It seems all the posts referencing the sand fleas have mentioned CN or CSA. Does anyone know if they are a problem at CSS?

We're packing the DEET regardless, but I was really looking forward to some romantic moonlit strolls on the beach...

Marc

The sand fleas aren't a problem. The determining factor is if you have an "allergic reaction" to them.

Quote Originally Posted by PacificNWCpl View Post
    Hi everyone,

It seems all the posts referencing the sand fleas have mentioned CN or CSA. Does anyone know if they are a problem at CSS?

We're packing the DEET regardless, but I was really looking forward to some romantic moonlit strolls on the beach...

Marc
    The only place we ever had sand flea bites was at CSS. Sorry! But keep in mind they are more prevalent after a rain, in cool, damp sand. Avoid these areas and you'll be fine. No worries, mon!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

I was at CN from Dec 11-15 and CSA from Dec 15-19. I had so many sand flea bites on my back and legs that I was impressing the employees. The cleaning lady thought maybe they had gotten into our room cause I woke up with them! They were only on one side of my back (which I sleep on). I was miserable! She bought me bug spray (the writing was German-so I am not sure what types of bugs it repelled). She had my spray myself and my sheets everynight before I went to bed. I also sprayed myself with it when I went out. I was miserable! I don't know if sand fleas fly, but I kept feeling myself get bit when I was out at night. We have been to CSA three times and I refuse to stay away...but the sand fleas are horrible!

Default Sand Flea Bites

About 2 weeks before you go to any of the islands my husband and I both take B12. We have no problems at all. Neither one of us comes home with bites and no one is our group does either. Just a suggestion to everyone.

Thanks guys. We'll load up on the B12 and avoid the post-rain beach. Everything else is fair game... We're not worried, but would rather be as well prepared as we can be.

Marc

I have seen suggestions for 100 mg of B1 and now B12...how many mg of B12 did you take per day? Would a BComplex vitamin do the trick?