Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Newbie here! How do you decide which resort?

Hello All!
    I am new here....just happened upon this site yesterday...in fact, just learned about these resorts yesterday!
    My hubby and I were all ready to book a vacation in Cancun for May until someone came into my work yesterday and started telling me about this great All Inclusive in Jamaica! Now...here I am...and I am hooked!
    My question...how in the world do you decide which one to go to!?!? Are all the activities and inclusions pretty much the same at all of them? Did I read correctly that even a catamaran cruise is included? I am absolutely blown away! A lot of the AI's that we were looking @ in Cancun included food, beverage, and not much more!
    Seems toooo good to be true! HA!

We discovered The Couples Resort by chance also. We were just looking into the S resorts and there was an article about Couples being rated in the top 25 for Caribbean destinations. I looked into it and discovered it didn't cost as much as the other resort. So, I started reading reviews and checking out this message board and looked at tons and tons of pictures and I had it narrowed down to two of the four. I took into account what our resort priorities were.....lots of food and bar choices, great beach, good sports facility, nice rooms.....we chose CSA and just loved it!!! We are going back this October.

Just keep looking at pictures and reviews. Ask questions on this message board and once you get a resort pulling you to it, that will be the one. Good luck deciding and really, everything is included!!! Couples ROCKS!

I am in the same boat! Not sure which Couples to chose. Anyone who has stayed at more than one- your opinion is appreciated. I generally stay at the R Palace all inclusive hotels in Mexico- if anyone can compare the Couples to R hotels, that would be great too! Thanks! Can't wait to book my trip- once I figure out which hotel to stay at!
    Last edited by Seandymon; January 6th, 2010 at 09:39 AM.

Before I booked out first trip to Jamaica, like you, I was planning a trip in Mexico. I was drawn to CSA and within an hour of our arrival we were talking about our next trip. We have trips booked for 2010 and 2011. Having an AN beach was not a factor for us and we loved the look/feel of the rooms... it reminded us of our honeymoon in Fiji.

Read the board and look through all the pictures and videos. It wont take you long to discover which resort to visit.

CN, CSA, & CTI all include the catamaran cruise.

The best suggestion I have for you is to research this site like crazy. Look at all of the pictures and descriptions of the properties and see which one starts to 'sing' to you. One will start to pull at your heart and that will be the one to go to.

If you have other questions, feel free to post. Perhaps answers to questions will also help you in your decision. But the bottom line is you can't make a wrong choice.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Hi luvthesun!

I have not been yet - so can only comment on how we decided which resort. We are in our late 20's and wanted a high quality all inclusive on a tropical paradise. So Jamaica seemed good idea as lots to do out of resort also. We looked at all three resorts and liked the number of restaurants at CSA and also they are close to the sea etc - we like being able to eat looking over the sea etc if possible. Also the beach was a big draw - which meant we were having to decide between this and C Negril. The reason we choose CSA as I say I think (although may not be right) there were 1 maybe more restaurant at CSA, and the layout of the resort and the types of buildings. Im trying to remember and sure someone else will comment to help - but CSA have lots of little hut type buildings, whereas the layout at C Negrill was different. I think..... We also looked at CSS but were drawn by the beach etc of the Negril area. Plus in the end we have decided to split our holiday over 2 resorts - so staying Negril way and then moving down to another resort near Ocho Rios so get best of both worlds.

Just go with the one that takes your breath away the most - as they all did mine - and you can always try another one next year haha!
    Claire

Seems too good to be true, but it's not......Couples really is all that and more. The catamaran IS included. Which one you pick depends on what you want....I think the Negril side (Swept Away and Couples Negril) has better beaches, but I read that the Ochos Rios side offers much more privacy and intimacy. We went for the first time at Thanksgiving and chose CN (couples Negril) and LOVED it. Small, close, good food, very social. A great resort. I think you will have to look at all of them and see what appeals to you.

It might seem like it's too good to be true, but it's not! You will be blown away by how amazing it is. I recommend checking out the links for each resort, looking at pictures and then going with your gut. Our first trip was to CTI, but we have since been fortunate enough to try them all. We're headed back to CTI this April, and have already booked a CSA/CTI split for 2011.

Here is the link to the inclusions: http://couples.com/inclusions/index.html

CTI has the most, with horseback riding, Dunn's River and the Catamaran cruise. CSS is the only one that does not offer the cruise because the boat cannot get into the bay due to a reef.

Here are some quick differences:
    CTI - Completely private beach, yet small; separate island for nude sunbathing, 5 restaurants including Bayside that sits on the water; the most inclusions (Dunn's River, catamaran cruise, horseback riding in addition to the others). Only 5 buildings with rooms so the resort is very compact and intimate (though 3 of them are connected). Everything revolves around a central location. Just underwent a $30 million renovation - new rooms, new decor, new pools, etc. Fantastic food.

CSS - the newest to the Couples resort, but not the newest built. It used to be a Grand Lido then Couples bought it. Also have a completely private beach. Separate beach for nude sunbathing. Resort is spread out and built on cliffs. It's split into 3 different levels, lots of steps throughout. Lots of foliage and hidden spots. Does not offer a catamaran cruise. 3 restaurants but full menu room service. All rooms are suites with mini bars. Rooms are more hotel like as far as the decor.

CN - Sits in Bloody Bay which it shares with 3 other resorts and public beach access. Separate section of main beach used for nude sunbathing. Individual buildings throughout the resort for the rooms. All on beach level. Somewhat spread out. Huge main pool with swim-up bar. Rooms decorated in bright colors. 24 hour room service only in select room categories and it must be ordered a day in advance. All rooms have mini bars.

CSA - Sits on 7 mile beach. Separate buildings for rooms that are cabana like, dark wood and white linens. Resort is spread out along the beach but all on beach level. Only resort with rooms right on the beach where you can walk off your first floor patio into sand. Fantastic food. Night Club. Some rooms do not have televisions or mini bars. 5 restaurants. No nude sunbathing option. Huge sports complex across the street.

Good luck choosing!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by luvthesun View Post
    Hello All!
    I am new here....just happened upon this site yesterday...in fact, just learned about these resorts yesterday!
    My hubby and I were all ready to book a vacation in Cancun for May until someone came into my work yesterday and started telling me about this great All Inclusive in Jamaica! Now...here I am...and I am hooked!
    My question...how in the world do you decide which one to go to!?!? Are all the activities and inclusions pretty much the same at all of them? Did I read correctly that even a catamaran cruise is included? I am absolutely blown away! A lot of the AI's that we were looking @ in Cancun included food, beverage, and not much more!
    Seems toooo good to be true! HA!
    ....I think each has it's own "Charm", and depends on what the individual wants. We went for "Beach". And yes, the Catamaran cruise is included.

Hi lovethesun
    I was in the same boat only 2 months ago. I had never been to a resort before and was looking for something very special for my 30 anniversary, then i found this site and this great message board. All I can say is read alot of the mess. on the board and ask questions. People will help you out. They are right about the right one will jump out at you. good luck I choose cti for its size. I think you will have a great time which ever you choose.

We first discovered Couples two years ago by chance as I was scoping out a destination for our first ever Carribean holiday. We are headed back to Swept Away for our third visit in two years in a few weeks so I guess that tells you how hooked we are. In deciding which Couples to visit, I guess Swept Away just called out to us and we also were not really interested in AN at all. We were extremely interested in a fantastic beach which gravitated us to Negril. We love Swept Away and feel like family when we visit each year. We keep in touch with many of the staff there throughout the year and they are what keep us coming back. I am sure you will enjoy whichever Couples resort you choose. I know that at Swept Away whatever you read and see on the website is true. It truly is a magical place. Once you go,you will know. Enjoy!

melly

We have not stayed at the R hotels in Mexico, but have stayed at the R in Ocho Rios. On a scale of 1 to 10, comparing the R to CSA, the R would be a 3 and CSA a 10++ !! The food at the RIU was bland whereas the food at CSA, and apparently all of the Couples, is sooo goooood!!! The beach at CSA has to be one of the best beaches in the Caribbean!

We stayed at CSA in early December, and found the resort to be wonderful in so many ways, and went to CN for a day on the trading places program. We are heading to CSS in early February, and will venture over to CTI for a day as well. One of the best things that we noticed with Couples, is that it is a well run company, with the GUESTS at the resort being their number one priority. Our hats go off, and a big thanks goes out, to all who are responsible for running the 4 resorts, from an appreciative couple from cold Ontario, Canada, for providing such a romantic, enjoyable escape from all of this cold and snow!!

I have stayed at both the R resorts and Couples. There is no comparison. The inclusions, food, and service at Couples sets them light years ahead of the competition. NO KIDS. That alone is worth the stay at Couples. We spent our family vacations at CN's neighbor. While a good place for family vacations, there is nothing that stands out at that resort except the beach and even then no floaties, no red flag service and very average food. Couples evokes romance and rekindling of the feelings that brought you together. What other resort has a Chief Romance Officer? Once you go, you know.

I always love when Amy posts on this omnipresent subject, because she simply provides a capsualized take on what each of the four resorts offer and where/how they may differ.

My best advice: research, research, research. And if still in doubt, research some more. Eventually one of these resorts is going to continue to draw you back to its pages. It could be one big reason or a cumulative batch of reasons. But one of them will finally pull you in. You'll see.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Unfortunately, you might not have ANY say in which Couples you will stay at. It sounds corny, but several years ago, one of of our MB regulars made an astute observation, that being the concept that you don't select which Couples resort you want to visit... rather, your Couples destination will call out to you.

Your best bet is to do your homework, look at all the amenities and photos on the main website (the photos do a great job of acurately depicting the various features of the resorts, by the way), and then submit... surrender to the resort that calls out to you!

Good luck!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    . . . . CN - . . . . 24 hour room service only in select room categories and it must be ordered a day in advance. . . .
    To clarify, CN does NOT have 24-hour room service in ANY room category.

A continental breakfast is available for all guests regardless of room category. Guests staying in a suite may enjoy in-suite dining for DINNER ONLY.

From the "Dining & Restaurants" page for Couples Negril:

Dinner:

In Suite Dining

For guest staying in Garden Suites or Beachfront Suites, a special in-room dining menu is offered.

Must be ordered one day in advance.

Dinner can be served between 6:30pm and 9:00pm.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We went to an AI in Mexico after our honeymoon at CSA and boy was I disappointed! We paid MORE and it was supposed to be luxurious, I just kept comparing it to CSA and how it didn't stack up..Now we are going back to CSA in April. WE love CSA I feel that it has more of an Island feel to it, the separate "cabana like rooms" is what hooked me no halls, wood slat windows and the beach, oh the beach! CSA is definitly my favorite place!

thanks- all of the comments help a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    To clarify, CN does NOT have 24-hour room service in ANY room category.

A continental breakfast is available for all guests regardless of room category. Guests staying in a suite may enjoy in-suite dining for DINNER ONLY.

From the "Dining & Restaurants" page for Couples Negril:

Dinner:

In Suite Dining

For guest staying in Garden Suites or Beachfront Suites, a special in-room dining menu is offered.

Must be ordered one day in advance.

Dinner can be served between 6:30pm and 9:00pm.
    Thanks Pamela! I just keep copying and pasting those blurbs so I'm going to make sure I change it so it's correct
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

All Couples resorts are different and unique from each other. It all depends what you are looking for. My suggestion for a first timer is to pick one of the two in Negril. The beaches are a little nicer and you can go for long walks on the beach at either. You won't go to another resort chain after Couples.

Quote Originally Posted by melly View Post
    I am in the same boat! Not sure which Couples to chose. Anyone who has stayed at more than one- your opinion is appreciated. I generally stay at the R Palace all inclusive hotels in Mexico- if anyone can compare the Couples to R hotels, that would be great too! Thanks! Can't wait to book my trip- once I figure out which hotel to stay at!
    ....I have never stayed at a resort before, though have done a couple of Carnival Cruises. We went because my daughter was getting married, and wanted it on a beach. Now, she has been to several Mexico Resorts. And said this (CN) was head and shoulders above any she had been to in Mexico.

My advice is that you have never been to jamaica, Do the Secret Rendezvous. You book and pay and find out at the last minute where you are going.

OH MY GOODNESS! Thank you SOOO much for all the replies! Okay...gonna really start doing my homework. My only concern is that I am a very "beachy" (not b!tchy!) type person...I can lay on a beach forever and ever and ever as long as my beverages are filled frequently! My hubby...not so much. But it looks like the activities are endless.
    I am looking very forward to this. This is for my hubby's 40th and also kinda a delayed honeymoon. We never had a "honeymoon", we have 2 kids under 2 and we need some time together!

If you are a beachy gal, you need to got to CSA! Lots of activities to keep your husband busy and beach drink service. You can lay on the beach and don't even have to get up to get a drink. CSA's is the best. You can walk either way for miles and lots of local flavor. Good luck deciding. CSA ROCKS!

[QUOTE=luvthesun;41427]OH MY GOODNESS! My only concern is that I am a very "beachy" (not b!tchy!) type person...I can lay on a beach forever and ever and ever as long as my beverages are filled frequently! QUOTE]

....I think you'll love CN then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast