Default vBulletin - i can dig this ;)

Testing topic posting feature of vBulletin.

Much more features than previous software.

Formatting text is a nice thing, but I feel it will become out of hand, people posting huge pink text, not keeping message flow consistant will make threads more difficult to read.

Hmm, can add tags, i assume this is for search?

subscribing to topics is a spectactular feature i see being used a TON here!

will a custom forum theme be developed to give overall design a nice look and feeling?

testing pulling in external images (GREAT feature).

Wonder how it will post a very wide image, if it will stretch tables, or if it sizes down and makes for a clickable image to see full res. hmm, lets try...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Testing topic posting feature of vBulletin.

Much more features than previous software.

Formatting text is a nice thing, but I feel it will become out of hand, people posting huge pink text, not keeping message flow consistant will make threads more difficult to read.

Hmm, can add tags, i assume this is for search?

subscribing to topics is a spectactular feature i see being used a TON here!

will a custom forum theme be developed to give overall design a nice look and feeling?
    Up to 5 tags can be added to each thread by the initial poster or other users (if the original author didn't use up all five)

The design will be somewhat different from what you see here, this is just a transitional template.
    Couples Internet Manager

hmm, guess my image was not wider than my browser. i had some issues in the past with custom themes being broken when posters post wide images.

Hi Dan,
    We are working on the resizing of external images.

Regarding formatting we are limiting size to 1 to 4. So posters can't get to far carried away.

Regarding other skins and formats, that is coming, including a version for the iPhone and other small screen mobile devices.

Thanks for your testing and help!

Testing the photo posting Capabilities:
    Attached Images Attached Images      

awesome, thanks for the info!

I am running the Faceb**k skin. It works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Smoke View Post
    Testing the photo posting Capabilities:
    Papa Smoke, you need to take an extra step to make you pictures appear immediately in your posts. See this thread "How to Insert Your Pictures into your Posts" in the Help and Instructions MB for an illustration.

Summary of that post: after you upload your images you still need to insert them in your post. Click in you post where you want them to appear, then click the drop down by the red outlined image icon to select the image[s].

admin(s) _

its of my opinion that a global post of a subject like 'read this before posting' is needed to cover basic FAQ's, how to post photos is good, as well as pointing people at the Search feature. Should help to eliminate duplicate posts for the same questions which is a big concern... may not be a big concern to a lot of people, but being in the technology industry myself it’s my goal to empower people to use the technology they have to achieve goals and objectives... i.e. what day lobster is served at csa. I see so many duplicate posts now on the legacy board its almost a time killer to have to read the same question/post in multiple threads.

thanks for reading!. i'll kill this thread before you go to production with this board.

I would like to suggest that we include the ability to attach excel spreadsheet files (xls) into posts. In the old message board we would upload a spreadsheet in our thread on the Meet Up at Couples that listed couples going to CSS in July and on what dates. Currently we are only limited to uploading image files.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmon View Post
    I would like to suggest that we include the ability to attach excel spreadsheet files (xls) into posts. In the old message board we would upload a spreadsheet in our thread on the Meet Up at Couples that listed couples going to CSS in July and on what dates. Currently we are only limited to uploading image files.

in this case, what about a dynamic spreadsheet administered by a member of the community and share on google docs or something, therefore accessable by all, but edited by one or a small team. this way you dont need to upload multiple docs, just work from one central one.

That's a good idea also.

OK. Testing Photo Posting again AND.... what happened to the skins? I liked the FB look.

Here are two pics:

Name:  Papa IS the boss!!.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  Negril Sunset 2.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  48.6 KB

Admins,

I would suggest removing the approval of photos. It's not really needed since the posts themselves are already being moderated. Plus, when you add a photo using a url it bypasses the image approval process anyway.

Now to mention a bug. When you add a photo using a url in quick reply mode is works correctly, but when you add a photo using url in advanced mode it errors out saying that it can't write to the temporary file.

The whole "adding an image to a post" process needs to be simplified, it is overly complicated and will give the majority of users trouble. The post describing how to add a photo is good and very explanatory, but the fact that you have to add your photo twice to get it to show up not as an attachment is all ready and will continue to confuse many users. I understand the process but I also have 20 years of IT experience. To explain the process, first you go into advanced mode, add an image to your Manage Attachments list, then you must manually select the attached photo from your list and add it to your post. It is this double adding that is confusing users. If it would help I could also provide a write up further describing this process.

Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmon View Post

The whole "adding an image to a post" process needs to be simplified, it is overly complicated and will give the majority of users trouble. The post describing how to add a photo is good and very explanatory, but the fact that you have to add your photo twice to get it to show up not as an attachment is all ready and will continue to confuse many users. I understand the process but I also have 20 years of IT experience. To explain the process, first you go into advanced mode, add an image to your Manage Attachments list, then you must manually select the attached photo from your list and add it to your post. It is this double adding that is confusing users. If it would help I could also provide a write up further describing this process.
    I agree here. The little photo icon is traditionally a box that automatically inserts image tags around the link to your photos, and the manage attachments box below the reply box usually is direct upload/direct view (i.e. not uploaded as an attachment to click on).

mod Guest

Thanks for your suggestions. We are making some adjustments and will report back.

That's why we invited you over here! So we can nip the bugs before the whole gang arrives.

mod Guest

Papa Smoke, you were supposed to find those skin. We had forgot to switch them off. LOL. We are still developing them and they have some bugs we need to swat. Once we get by the transition we will move on them.

I just wanted to say that you guys are doing great. I truly believe that moving to this new message board will be great for all. It takes a little time to find and get the bugs worked out, but that's what beta testing is all about. Keep up the good work.

I have to agree with a previous post, though it may not be on this thread. The threads seem very cluttered. Is there a way to make a clear line that seperates posts? Also, why does the first post continue to appear in a box of each and every post. Very cluttered.
    Regards,
    Seandymon
    Romance Rewards and Preferred Agency Program
    Couples Resorts!

i have found that seperating table bg colors in alternating posts helps this tremendousley. obviously keeping theme with corporate branding. white, light blue, white, light blue, etc.

i assume this will be handled when a new theme is dev'd and installed.

_dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    i have found that seperating table bg colors in alternating posts helps this tremendousley. obviously keeping theme with corporate branding. white, light blue, white, light blue, etc.

i assume this will be handled when a new theme is dev'd and installed.

_dan
    This would work well, too. Usually on the VB forums I work with, both the line and shading are used.

I also like the idea of a heavy line and alternation background colors.