Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Swept Away vs. Negril

Hello Sun lovers!

My husband and I (mid 30's) are in the process of booking a two week stay at either Couples Swept Away or Couples Negril...the hold up?.... How do we decide between the two? I have read countless reviews and am still struggling to get out the Visa and book So, I'm hoping all you experienced Couples travellers out there can help...I should say that as much as I love beaches...we are there for 14 days and do enjoy pool life, and let's face it...swim up bars! No one ever really talks about CSA pool life so I can't help but wonder...is there one? Any and all thoughts you have are much appreciated. Please share you CSA and CN experiences...I know the food is great, the beaches are lovely, but what is the "feel" of the resort....
    Kris

Since you're having so much trouble deciding between the two and will be in Jamaica for two full weeks, why not split the trip? Stay for a week at CN and a week at CSA. You'll have a great time at both and can decide which is better suited to you.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Try both - you'll appreciate the change in food options over a 14 day stay. Then, come back and tell us which one YOU prefer.

As stupid as this sounds...I guess I never really thought of it as a possible option...mostly because I've tried to do something similar in the past and it was expensive (with other properties). Why I don't know but I'll look into it.
    Kris

EXACTLY! if your'e going for 2wks split it and then decide for yourself! One week at CSA and one at CN, yes there is a pool at CSA and it is nice with a great swim up bar but to be frank the ocean is just as calm as a pool and the beach is beautiful so most sit out on the beach.

CSA has a laid back tropical feel, with the suites (no halls) and wood slats on the windows it gives that real rustic feel with elegance, which I LOVE it's simple elegance really. There is nightlife if you want it, the resort is spread out so it never really feels like it is full even when it is at capacity.

Default CN vs CSA

We have been to both resorts. I agree, you should book a week at both. Do CN first, then CSA. We love CSA, been there 3 times, CN once. The pool is a central point at CN, the beach is the best at CSA. I want to hear your input after you get home. Have a great trip, you will be booking the best time of your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Kissed View Post
    . . . . I've tried to do something similar in the past and it was expensive (with other properties). . . .
    There won't be any added cost. You'll simply pay for seven nights at each resort. Sign up for Romance Rewards in advance. Generally, it takes months for points to be credited to your account after your stay, but b/c you will be booking two separate reservations, you will be repeat guests at the second resort. I'd ask the first resort to work with you (or perhaps a better idea would be to email Seandyman in advance) to ensure that you receive credit for the first reservation before check-in at the second resort so that you'll receive returning guest perks, which include an invitation to the special dinner for returning guests and a 30-minute couples massage.

Have a great time.
    Pamela

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Kissed View Post
    Hello Sun lovers!

My husband and I (mid 30's) are in the process of booking a two week stay at either Couples Swept Away or Couples Negril...the hold up?.... How do we decide between the two? I have read countless reviews and am still struggling to get out the Visa and book So, I'm hoping all you experienced Couples travellers out there can help...I should say that as much as I love beaches...we are there for 14 days and do enjoy pool life, and let's face it...swim up bars! No one ever really talks about CSA pool life so I can't help but wonder...is there one? Any and all thoughts you have are much appreciated. Please share you CSA and CN experiences...I know the food is great, the beaches are lovely, but what is the "feel" of the resort....
    with 14 days you have plenty of options one think about would be 10 days at a couples followed by 4 days in the cliffs. Get the best negril has to offer.. suggestion would be to do the beach first and totally chill in the cliffs enjoy

I don't understand the draw to "the cliffs" the beach in negril is THE BEST why stay where there is no beach?! Just my opinion.

Hi Kris, I knew everyone on here would be able to help you out!

Karen

Don't understand the comment about the Cliffs?

Don't get me wrong people, I LOVE Beaches...I'm not a "pool person" by any stretch but need some variety to my day (or at least i have pre-Negril) I am speaking to Couples and our agent today to get prices and air fair information. Let the research begin.

I suppose what I find the hardest is everyone always talks about "the feel" of these two resorts and how they are so different...when you haven't been to either it's hard to really know what this means. Some say about Negril "it just wasn't my kind of place" while others say the same about Swept Away. What does that mean????? Ha Ha.

Thanks to all of you for your tips and suggestions. It's obvious how much you all love these resorts...you can truly hear the excitment in your voices!
    Kris

We were in the same boat Kris, it's hard to understand what people mean about the "feel" of a place unless you've been. We were happy to be able to visit CN while at CSA and figure out the feel of both for ourselves. Really the things that swayed us in the direction of CSA were the all the multi-pathways, the small villa type buildings and being able to be truly beachfront, we thought CN would be more of a hotel feel whereas CSA more of a rustic, tropical feel and we were right. Another thing was more dining options at CSA. I hope your agent can help you work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    There won't be any added cost. You'll simply pay for seven nights at each resort. Sign up for Romance Rewards in advance. Generally, it takes months for points to be credited to your account after your stay, but b/c you will be booking two separate reservations, you will be repeat guests at the second resort. I'd ask the first resort to work with you (or perhaps a better idea would be to email Seandyman in advance) to ensure that you receive credit for the first reservation before check-in at the second resort so that you'll receive returning guest perks, which include an invitation to the special dinner for returning guests and a 30-minute couples massage.
    Have a great time.
    Pamela, are you sure this is considered a 2nd trip? If so, does the 2nd trip require a minimum 7 day stay? I only ask because we've booked a 7 night trip to CTI, followed immediately by a 4 night stay at CN. Does this also qualify as a 2nd trip? I'm very curious, as I've never seen the matter discussed in this context before.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

If you are going for 2 weeks, split it. I would get bored at 1 place after 14 days.

If swim-up bar is important, I'm not sure about the pools at CSA, but I do know that CN has an amazing pool and swim-up bar. It is a central meeting place at CN. I have only been to CSA for a day pass, but CSA seems more spread out with no real central focal area like CN. For that reason, CN seems more social to me.

Thanks Dave...that's very helpful. I got the feeling that CN was more social but it was just a gut feel. We do enjoy socializing while on holiday so this is of interest. From what I can gather the beach at Swept Away is nicer then Negril..but are we talking Negril being a 9/10 and Swept Away a 10/10? I am in the process of researching prices to do a week at each...it IS costing more then booking two weeks with one property..booking with a tour operator that includes flight is always cheaper then booking accomodation and flight seperate. From what I can see it's about $400.00 more...not a lot but it adds up. Trying to see if I can find some good deals on flights out of Toronto to Montego Bay. Wish me luck!
    Kris

The hotel itself is no cheaper but booking flight and accomodation seperate is more expensive then an all in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post

Have a great time.
    Kris

CSA has a great swim-up pool bar too! The pool itself isn't as big as the one at CN. From the CSA website, click on Swim-up Pool bar on the panoramic page to check it out: http://couples.com/12sw/02swPanos.htm

I'd be happy to share our pics if that would help (amy.welch@hotmail.com). We've been to them both and you won't be disappointed with either.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Sorry, forgot to add that I did talk to Couples this afternoon and they will allow week two at different resort to be considered a "repeat visit"...I don't see why the number of nights on your second visit would be an issue. When I asked the rep on the phone if when checking in to Swept Away I would be considered a repeat guest she said yes...and she didn't know how many nights I was checking in for yet so maybe that answers your question. Good luck!
    Kris

Ron ~ Yes, that is correct. This past year we went to CTI and CSS in the same trip. We are repeat guests, but each reservation is treated as a separate reservation so we receive repeat perks at each resort.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    Pamela, are you sure this is considered a 2nd trip? If so, does the 2nd trip require a minimum 7 day stay? . . . .
    Yes, I'm sure, and no, the second trip doesn't have to be a minimum seven-night stay. I haven't seen any postings from Papa Smoke on the MB recently, but if he's around, I'm sure he can confirm. He and his wife stayed at CN for the first portion of their honeymoon then went to COR and were returning guests at COR (now CTI).

Each stay is a separate reservation. When you arrive at CN, you will have one prior stay (seven nights) under your belt and are thus repeat guests at the Young Love level(remember to indicate that when you fill out the intake form and provide your RR number). As I mentioned to the original poster, the biggest issue for you to deal with will be ensuring that your points for your CTI reservation are posted before you check-in at CN.

Seandyman has a thread entitled "Romance Rewards Update," and his message in part said, "We will also be improving/making more efficient the process the Front Desk staff uses to assure the appropriate points are added to your account prior to check out. That way your account should be updated well in advance of your next trip."

Hopefully things will be working more smoothly by the time your trip rolls around, and you'll be able to enjoy some returning guest perks on your CN vacation. You can always ask someone in guest relations to work with you (or contact Seandyman before your trip) to ensure that your RR account is credited before you depart from CTI and head to CN. Have a great time.

Looking forward to some perks myself. We leave for CTI on the 15th to celebrate my 45th birthday. (How did I get to be this old?!)
    Pamela

This is coming together sooo nicely...could be booked by tomorrow! Woo Hoo
    Kris

Hey folks. Needless to say I am the father of your new "newbie" Sun Kissed. Being a newbie here myself, let me say this. First I have never been to any of the couples resorts,well travelled but never to a Couples. My wife and I are both in our 50's(no laughing please). We booked CSA checking in March 7 2010 for one week...Ocean front veranda suite(ha ha, this newbie don't fool around).. Anyhow, we did our research well as always and by your posts it appears like we did a good job. Anyhow the jist of my posting is as follows...PLEASE give this sun kissed chick good advice. Its not YOU that will have to live with her if she doesn't have a great trip...lol Bob

We've been to CSA 6 times in the last 5 years or so....in our opinion, CSA has a very "Jamaican Zen-like" feel....the rooms have crisp white linens and dark wood furniture along with wood slatted shutters. Fairly minimalist without being too modern. We've never been to CN, but from photos we've seen the CSA vibe seems to be more "Jamasian," and the CN vibe (IMHO) seems to be more 1970's style tropical....honestly, I just haven't found the decor of the rooms to be much above a 1970's high grade Holiday Inn in SoCal, but I've never been there, only seen photos....and people rave about the decor at CN, and even decorate rooms in their homes in this style, so all I can say is "to each his/her own...."

The spa at CSA is awesome! There's a terrific "Buddha pool" that is a decent size (although not a swimming pool, per se). There's a big statue of Buddha and the pool is dimly lit. Just perfect for relaxing before a massage! And the massages there are FABulous!!! Basically the same price as what you'd pay at home, but definitely worthwhile!!! The Sports Complex is terrific! There are visiting trainers each week, and there are classes in yoga (some on the beach) as well as spinning, aerobics (again, some on the beach) as well as others. In addition, there is raquetball (air conditioned) and an open air gym with treadmills, elipticals, free weights and some nautilus-style equipment. The Sports Complex also has a HUGE lap pool, several tennis courts, a jacuzzi, a jogging track and a full shower/steam/bathroom as well as a bar that serves Guinness and various flavored waters, smoothies and juices. There is also a large screen TV and pool table.

The restaurants are all terrific, and are all worth visiting - I believe there are more food choices at CSA than CN, but I'll bet the quality of food is pretty much the same.

The beach at CSA is bigger than CN. We love having the vendors walk by - they're easy to talk with or not....all you need is to tell them "Respect Mon, No Thanks" and they smile and move on....This is both on and off the CSA beach. And another CSA attraction is Elvis. He's not a CSA employee, but is as much a part of CSA as the buildings....You can tell him by his "Elvis Lives" or "Shut Up and Fly" T-Shirts, the cell phone permanently affixed to his ear, and his engaging smile. He'll set you up w/parasailing or jet skiing if you're interested. Definitely a great person to know!!

You mentioned the "pool scene." The beach is the real attraction at CSA, but they do have a very nice pool bar which seems to be a great attraction for people who like to have a few drinks and socialize. Can't compare it to CN, but it is very similar to other pool bars that I've been to. From what I've read, CN may be more focused around the pool bar than CSA is. We personally enjoy the beach more, but the pool bar at CSA seems to attract it's fair share of social butterflies!!

Other than that, I believe the quality of food and drink (although more plentiful at CSA) are the same and the staff (while different) are trained the same, so the level of service (I believe) will be the same....

Good luck choosing! We're CSA loyalists and wouldn't think of going anywhere else....you may want to split your time, but if it were me, I'd go to the place that I keep returning to on the FAQ/Photo section. That's what we did, and we'll never look back! (AND FYI, we usually go for 10-12 days, and don't get bored with the food or the place - there are enough restaurants to choose from, so you won't get over-exposed to any one food, and there's definitely enough to do (or not) that you won't get bored by that either!!

Good luck with your choice! Just know that whichever Couples Resort you choose, you'll get outstanding service, great food, a fabulous beach and that "when you go, you'll know" feeling. It's all irie mon!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast