Default Northwest/Delta airline question - US to Jamaica

What are the baggage fees?

I am so confused by their site. I'm trying to pack it all in one bag but we are getting awfully heavy with very little room to spare.

We booked our hotel/air on June 30, 09.

Thanks.

Our travel agent told us that we EACH can check one bag up to 50 lbs. for free, so 2 bags per couple. Additional bags are $25 each way. We too booked before July 2009 but found Delta website confusing.

As of October, you could still check a piece of luggage per person. You and your significant other could each bring a bag, which sounds like the right option.

On the Delta home page, point on "Traveling and Check-in," then select "Baggage," then select "Baggage Allowances":

Carry-On Baggage
    All Delta passengers are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item that meet the criteria below. See Security Check-in for liquid and gel restrictions.
    Size and Weight Restrictions
    If your carry-on bag doesn't meet these size restrictions it must be checked, and all checked baggage rules will apply. Your bag must:
    Not exceed 45 inches (length + width + height), or 115 cm.
    Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit (approximately 22"x14"x9", or 56x36x23 cm).
    Fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.

Personal Items
    You're allowed one personal item from this sample list:
    Purses, briefcases, camera cases, and diaper bags
    Laptop computers (can’t be checked and must be carried on)
    Items of a similar or smaller size to those above
    Other Carry-on Items Allowed
    You may also bring these items onboard. They do not count toward your personal item.
    Food items for immediate consumption
    Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches
    One box or bag of duty free merchandise
    A coat, jacket, or umbrella

Checked Baggage - International Flights
    Currently when traveling to or from most cities outside the United States you can check two bags, per passenger at no extra charge. For customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe customers in economy class will be charged 50 USD/CAD/EUR* each way for the second checked bag.
    There is a second bag fee applied to travel between U.S./Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands to/from Bermuda and Latin America, which includes Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America (except Brazil) of 25 USD/CAD* if checked in on-line and 30 USD/CAD* via the ticket counter, kiosk, or curbside. Exceptions to the second checked bag fee include:
    First and Business Class passengers
    SkyMiles and WorldPerks Elite members (Platinum, Gold, and Silver)
    Active duty U.S. military members traveling on orders
    Passengers who purchased tickets prior to May 23, 2009 (to Europe)
    Passengers who purchased tickets prior to September 19, 2009 (to Latin America)
    Passengers who are confirmed on a Full Y class Economy ticket.
    You can refer to the chart below for exceptions to the checked baggage policy.
    If you have additional bags to check, you may be charged excess baggage fees.
    Each bag must:
    Weigh 50 pounds (23 kg) or less.
    Not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when you total length + width + height.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I flew with Northwest/Delta last month. One bag is $15. The second bag is $25....so if two bags $40. That is per person. So if you and your spouse each check one bag, it would be $15 each.....and that is each way. So much for cheap airfare. When you check two bags, add $80. I have always hated carrying on luggage, but have just recently purchased carry on luggage. Have fun!!

There free for your first bag. At least this is what I understand. Flying NW at the end of the month.

Also, you’re limited to 50 lbs and 62 linear inches.

Quote Originally Posted by trking View Post
    What are the baggage fees?

I am so confused by their site. I'm trying to pack it all in one bag but we are getting awfully heavy with very little room to spare.

We booked our hotel/air on June 30, 09.

Thanks.
    NW/Delta does not charge for the first 2 bags when flying to Jamiaca.

Pay attention to Pamela. She is right and probably does know everything, you just have to ask her husband!

I booked our Feb. trip to CTI last April. We are flying Northwest/Delta.

International flights allow you each two free bags not to exceed 50 pounds per bag.

Pamela copy/pasted right from the Web site. Hope you feel better. Happy packing!
    Sun_Princess