Thread: CSS Newbie Q's

Default CSS Newbie Q's

Hi, we will be visiting CSS in March, our first ever visit to a Couples resort (or Jamaica for that matter) and can hardly wait.

I have a couple of questions:

a) is there a resort map anywhere? I have been searching but can only find the overview photo on the main site, We will be booking tomorrow and just wondering if we should request a certain building

b) I think we want a one-bedroom Ocean Suite, 2nd floor. Looking for a large, private balcony with loungers and a shower. I have read through all the messages and looked at the room types & I think I'm correct. Could someone please confirm? My fear is that the website states "tub only" in the description and the picture of the balcony looks like you can see over to the next room.

I may have read this is the top floor only, the rest of the balconies are fully enclosed. I know that there are no guarantees with a request but it can't hurt.

Many thanks

A couple of quick responses, and please, other posters, correct me if I'm wrong...

I think the only way to be sure of having a really large balcony with loungers is to get a room in either the E, F, or G blocks, or to have a penthouse suite. Even the "one-bedroom, ocean balcony suites do not all have large balcony's. We just had one in December and while we loved the room over-all, a larger balcony would have been nice.

As for the first question, someone on this board has previously posted a digital photo of a map of Sans Souci. I've seen it, and if you use the search function, it probably can be found. Together with the aerial photo, one can get a good idea of the layout using the map.

Caracol, you have made a wonderful choice! CSS is very unique, and as I've said before... if you can't totally relax there, you need a shrink and a prescription! If any part of you, (no pun intended), has the inclination to try an au-natural beach, then there is no place like Sunset Beach. Give it a go early on.

Have fun!

I can send you a resort map (amy.welch@hotmail.com). I'd post it but it will be too small to read.

The One Bedroom Ocean is the room we had at CSS. The balcony is large, though you will be next to another room. However, your balcony and theirs are separated by the block walls (make sense?). I can send you some pics if you'd like.
    Last edited by Amy; March 4th, 2010 at 08:09 AM.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Hi, I actually booked already, my TA said the rooms were going fast. I requested G block, one bedroom ocean with balcony on the second floor. Fingers crossed! I forgot to request a "shower" room though. We are not bath people, I can't live without a shower in the morning :-)

Amy, your picture is exactly what I want, on the site pics, the photo shows that the dividing wall doesn't go all the way up, does that make sense? I did see the maps on the page but couldn't figure out which building would be "G".

some rooms don't have showers! what!? where are these rooms!?

Did I email you the maps? If I did, G is labeled on it. If not, it's the furthest east building on the map. The dividing wall in G does go all the way up so you won't be able to see your neighbors if they are on their balcony too. The only caveat are the rooms on an end of the building - those balcony walls are open on that end. Does that make sense? We were in room G10.

You will have a shower in your room - all rooms have showers. Some are walk-in showers(no tub) while some are showers with tubs.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!

My understanding is that there are rooms with showers and no tubs, and there are rooms with a showerhead in a standard bathtub, and there are rooms with a separate bath and shower, but there are no rooms without a shower. Most of the rooms that I've seen in G block have a showerhead in a standard rub (wall-mounted, not those awful handheld things that clip on the wall).

hi Amy, you did email me the map, thanks

one of the room descriptions I read somewhere, stated tub only, that's why I was so worried, thanks for putting me at ease :-)

Amy, what you say does make sense and maybe it's a corner room they show on the website. The wall went nearly to the top but not quite.

I am SOOOOOOO excited, don't know how I'm going to make it until March!

If the people we meet there are half as friendly as the ones on this MB, I know we will have an excellent time.

Ok, so we booked a one bedroom beachfront suite... climbing stairs is no issue, but we do want a large balcony and we would prefer a wall all the way up.... our travel agent said she can request a certain block, so please tell me which to choose since we have never been there and have no clue! Thanks!!!!

It looks like most of your questions have been answered. I just wanted to tell you that you have made a great choice and will love CSS! IT is so amazing and special! Enjoy your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by DEBBIELEEH View Post
    Ok, so we booked a one bedroom beachfront suite... climbing stairs is no issue, but we do want a large balcony and we would prefer a wall all the way up.... our travel agent said she can request a certain block, so please tell me which to choose since we have never been there and have no clue! Thanks!!!!
    She can make a request, but that doesn't mean it will be guaranteed. They don't assign rooms until the day of arrival, so I didn't want you the be disappointed. If you booked a One Bedroom Beachfront Suite, then those are only in Block A and B, which is right on the beach level (no stairs from the beach). Here's a pic with A & B in the background. It's not the best but it will give you an idea.
    Last edited by Amy; March 4th, 2010 at 08:09 AM.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!

Thanks Amy! Any pix or information you can tell us is greatly appreciated! We are so excited about our trip in late February! How many times have you guys been to Couples San Souci? What has your experience been? Thanks again for the pix!
    Happy New Year! Debbie

Thanks Amy! Any pix or information you can tell us is greatly appreciated! We are so excited about our trip in late February! How many times have you guys been to Couples San Souci? What has your experience been? Thanks again for the pix!
    Happy New Year! Debbie
    You're welcome, Debbie! Feel free to email me (amy.welch@hotmail.com) if you'd like me to send you the rest of our pics.

We have only been to CSS once, so we are by no means an expert on the place. However, we have been going to Couples every year since 2002 and have been fortunate enough to have stayed at them all. This April we head back to CTI and then for 2011 we have already booked a CTI/CSA split. You'll LOVE Couples!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!

Amy, you and your husband are adorable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJen View Post
    Amy, you and your husband are adorable!!!
    Aw, thanks!!!! Couples makes us look good!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!

We stayed in G8(it's on the second floor) last month and it did have a large enclosed balcony with a table and chairs and two lounge chairs. Here is a picture from inside the room and one of the vire from the room. The lounge chairs are underneath the window so you can't really see them in this pic. We had breakfast on the balcony almost every morning we were there and it was wonderful.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

...until you have some wonderful cocktails, then it may become one!!! LOL
    Kristen

Caracol, we stayed in G-16 last January, all of the dividing walls on that floor are wooden and do not quite reach the ceiling, they're also slightly curved back in, from bottom to top, at the balcony railing. You must have a seen a pic of one of these rooms. This was never an issue with neighboring guests and was even an asset for the days that our friends were next to us!
    DEBBIELEEH, the beachfront suites do not have a large balcony, most of the oceanfront suites do. We absolutely loved our balcony, particularly since I injured myself while there and spent much more time in the room than we ever did at CTI. Ah, that double longer!
    You'll love CSS. We were refugees there from CTI last year due to the extended renovations but thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We're returning home to CTI in 3 short days and will be spending a day at CSS thanks to the trading places program. 3 days, it finally IS soon come!!

Sorry Caracol, forgot to mention we were on the third floor!

Thanks Steph, that is exactly what I saw. We're pretty friendly so it's all good, I just like the idea of the private balcony if we want to snuggle :-)

So is the ocean suite better then the beachfront suite? I just want to make sure that we have a nice balcony.... can we still have breakfast on the balcony in the beachfront suites? I don't know if we will be able to change our rooms at this point or not cause there wasn't much available when we made our reservations.... as long as there is a table & chairs for breakfast on the balcony with a beach view then we'll be happy, happy, happy!!!!

We stayed in A-24, a corner room on the second floor of the Beachfront suites. The balcony is small, but has a table and four chairs. We spent many mornings on the balcony with our room service breakfast, and even had two dinners on the balcony. Our view was out over the main pool and onto the ocean. We also spent time out there the night of the beach party watching the steel drum band playing - very nice. Our next visit in July we are getting the oceanfront suite, as hubby wants to try out the large balcony with lounger.

You'll love CSS, we stayed there in April '09 and March '08. We're heading back to the west coast to CN for the 3rd time. Love CSS but miss the big beach, incredible sunsets and the "booze cruise". If a large balcony is what you want and you can swing it, get a penthouse room. It wasn't that much more and I'm glad we did. In '08 we stayed in "E" building. I think it was E-10. It was on the 3rd floor center overlooking the fitness center, mineral pool and of course, a magnificent view of the water below. Last year we stayed in D-14, the "Steve McQueen Suite" which was fantastic. I have included some pictures from the room and the incredible balcony. Have a great time and please say "Hi" to Kimberly form Ron & Nancy of Chicago. If you want more pictures of CSS, just email me.win19533@comcast.net
    Last edited by rjammin; February 3rd, 2010 at 03:06 PM.

rjammin, were you referring to Kimberlee from the entertainment staff? If so, she is now in Calgary, Alberta!

Yes that's the same Kimberlee. I obviously spelled her name wrong. That's too bad, CSS lost a great employee. What made her move there from the warm climate of Jamaica?