Default vitamin b for sand fleas??

I read on the message board a while back that vitamin B is good to take as a sand flea repellent. Can anyone tell me more about this? Last year my husband suffered terribly from sand flea bites at CSS (thankfully, the bites didn't become terrible until our last day there, so he was still able to enjoy himself). We will be at CTI in late March, and would like to know what he can do to prevent this from happening again. If Vitamin B does help, does he just take regular vitamin B, or a multivitamin? There are several kinds in the store. Also, does he have to take it for a while before we leave so that it is in his system? I currently take prenatal vitamins. Does anyone know if these will work for me as a sand flea repellent? I didn't have a problem last year, but I'm willing to take any steps necessary to avoid what my husband went through. Thanks for you help!

Hi;
    it's vitamin B1, 1 pill a day for 2 weeks before you go and all through your vacation. The bugs hate the smell that comes through your pores. Vitamin b is what makes multivitamins smell so terrible. Worked great for us last year at CSA

We take one B1 daily and it works for us. We hardly get any insect bites at all. Taking it just two weeks before is not effective. We take B1 365 days a year.
    It does not work for everyone. The amount of B1 in a multivitamin is not effective. Take the B1 by itself

Lots of anectdotal information out there about supplements, creams, oils, sprays, etc. that do the trick for chiggers, mosquitoes, and such. Also plenty of scientific research.

The home remedies work for some (example, for me, it seems that if I drink copious amounts of rum, the bugs don't seem to bother me), but for others, not so much.

If you find that rum doesn't cut the bug issue for you, I'd recommend high concentrations of DEET in lotion, spritz or wipe form.

Good luck!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Hi,

Are the sand fleas out just in the evening or all day? Are they worse during certain months?
    We are going the 1st week of February and want to be repaired!
    DANA

I've only had trouble with them after it rains and at night. We always use Skintastic Lotion, it's a lotion with deet in it so it's not quite as stinky as sprays. Just take something with you as a back up so you have no worries.

Enjoy and have fun.

Must depend on the person. I haven't had an issue with sand fleas. I don't go to the beach after the sun goes down. But I do get decimated by mosquitos. I used to take a B complex for a long time that had high amounts of many of the "B" vitamins...did nothing. The only thing that protected me was Deet.

The sand fleas come out about an hour before sunset, or in damp earth after a rain. They will also be found in grassy areas and wooden decking. Look in the resort's gift shop..you should be able to find a small bottle of repellent called NO MOSQUITO...made right here on the island. No chemicals, only botanical/herbal ingredients and it will work like a charm against mosquitos and the sand fleas. Besides your legs and feet, don't forget your back and the backs of your arms if lying in a hammock or lounge chair in the above mentioned areas. The NO MOSQUITO repellent is not at all expensive...should be about $5 per bottle, has a nice citrus smell, and can be used alone or mixed with your moisturizer. Put it on about 5pm...don't wait to get the first bites. The bottle is small enough to stash in a purse or pocket, so you can carry it with you easily, no matter where you are.

I don't know how B vitamins will affect repelling insects, but a good B complex tablet daily while on vacation is great if you have the potential for getting a hangover~!!

Default Sand Fleas ate me alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Road Gypsy View Post
    The sand fleas come out about an hour before sunset, or in damp earth after a rain. They will also be found in grassy areas and wooden decking. Look in the resort's gift shop..you should be able to find a small bottle of repellent called NO MOSQUITO...made right here on the island. No chemicals, only botanical/herbal ingredients and it will work like a charm against mosquitos and the sand fleas. Besides your legs and feet, don't forget your back and the backs of your arms if lying in a hammock or lounge chair in the above mentioned areas. The NO MOSQUITO repellent is not at all expensive...should be about $5 per bottle, has a nice citrus smell, and can be used alone or mixed with your moisturizer. Put it on about 5pm...don't wait to get the first bites. The bottle is small enough to stash in a purse or pocket, so you can carry it with you easily, no matter where you are.
    Just got back from CSA July 18th and I still have itchy bites. They became huge knots. I guess I am allergic to the critters and probably did all the wrong things. It did rain and we laid in lounges on beach and would go to beach bar at about closing time. These sand fleas fly!! We really want to return to CSA next year and your suggestions will be greatly heeded. I will start taking B1 today if you think it really helps...also find an Avon lady for Skin-so-soft. Thanks!
    Dana

Are the sand fleas a problem at the starlight gala at CSS? I avoid the beach at night, but am wondering if they are found in the lawn as well.