Default *** WARNING *** Lost Wedding Ring

Here is a warning for those staying at Couples Negril. This may be an issue at the other resorts also.

We brought our wedding rings along, and per our own advice we only wear them in the evenings and then only when we go to the nice restaurants. The rest of the time we keep them in the safe.

We ate at the Otaheite Restaurant in Fridfay night. Right after dinner, we returned to the room and put our rings in the safe...or so we thought. Last night we decided to eat at the Helliconia, so we opened the safe to get our rings out and mine was missing! We searched everything in the safe and then most of the room thinking maybe I spaced out that night and just laid it down some where. Searched all the pants pockets, suitacases, entire closet (where the safe is located) and nothing. We couldn't remember if we had stopped at the internet cafe after dinner Friday night, but didn't think we had. The ring fits very tight and has never fallen off, but when it gets cold (like it was here that night), my finger shrinks and it may have slipped off.

We called the front desk to see if someione had turned in an men's wedding band and they sent security up to the room. He searched all over, including the safe (which was comletly empty now) and found nothing. He asked many, many questions and had us fill out a report. He was very professional and concerned. We didn't think it was stolen from the safe because my wife's expensive rings were in there too. He said they would question housekeeping and investigate it further. He told us to call if we find it.

Now, there is a spot in the safe under the hinge that may be big enough for a ring. It is too small to get your finger all the way back there, but I thought I had gotten my little finger back far enough to determinre that the ring wasn't back there. This morning, my wife was digging around back there with a piece of cardboard and thought she heard a metal on metal sound. I dug around with a small pen and there it was...hiding in the lower right hand corner of the safe under the hinge!!! There is a little ledge across the bottom of the safe below the door, that helps hide small things like a ring.

Warnnig: Do not put your loose rings in the safe! Or anything else that small for that matter. Take along a small jewelry box and put the tiny stuff in there before putting it in the safe.

You don't realize just how devistating it is to loose your wedding ring until it happens. You figure it's insured, it can just be replaced. But that was the ring she put on my finger when we got married. A replacement could never be the same! That ring is even more special to me now! Well, anyway, after a long story, we can finally relax again and have a good time...if the weather would just cooperate! At least the sun is back out today, but it is still very windy and not very warm.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Wally - I am so glad that your ring was found!!! Reading it made my stomach hurt!! See ya in 5 days!! Don't know if you know it or not, but we are all meeting in the piano bar at 6:30 prior to the anniversary party, looks like there is going to be about 30 of us!!! We are offically a Grouple...but a good one
    Kristen

Glad the story had a happy ending...

for a minute i thought we would have to fly in that women from jersey with the metal detector ... glad you found it ....

I'm so glad you found it! Have to wonder how many other rings are hanging out in that little nook in the safes.

I hear you about the ring. My husband's was lost in transit on our last vacation (I was holding for safe keeping and, well, apparently didn't do a good job). I could get him a replacement but it's not the same. Very glad you found yours.

Glad it was found. More that it wasn't stolen. We had a similar thing at CN with my daughter's camera. Sunday morning she couldn't find her camera, and thought she may have left it at the restaurant after her wedding. The camera wasn't as important as the Memory Card with all of her pics of CN, including the wedding. Security treated it as stolen, even though she told them she just lost it. Turned out she had put it in a purse after the wedding, and left the purse on top of the safe. Regardless, we were impressed how the resort treated this all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkhiattky View Post
    Wally - I am so glad that your ring was found!!! Reading it made my stomach hurt!! See ya in 5 days!! Don't know if you know it or not, but we are all meeting in the piano bar at 6:30 prior to the anniversary party, looks like there is going to be about 30 of us!!! We are offically a Grouple...but a good one
    Thanks, Kristen. No, we didn't know about that. Count us in...we will be there!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I've heard about that happening! Glad you found them!

I’m happy you found the ring. I also checked the weather for Negril and its going to warm up after today. Have fun and enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Wally,

I know how I'd feel if my wedding ring were lost or stolen. That is good info that everyone visiting Couples or any resort should know. We do two things that helps to prevent this kind of incident. First, we put jewelry into a "jewelry bag" with draw string (you can get these from most jewelers). Second, we both wear our wedding rings the entire time we're in Jamaica. Not our actual ones, but an inexpensive set that we take/wear so that if they are damaged or something like that should happen we won't be so devastated. Glad to hear this story had a happy ending.

Bart & Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Caznsi View Post
    Glad the story had a happy ending...
    Dying here..... tears streaming

I found someone's ring in the spot mentioned on one of our visits to CN a number of years ago. The material on bottom of safe also can conceal things. Glad to hear you found yours.

Rats - my comment was to Steverandlinda ....... I misquoted the wrong person. Still cracking up though.........

Wally - Great info! I did loose King Melon's ring when I gave him a new one at CN in 2008. The King was devastated - until CN called and let us know that it had been found. Turns out Housekeeping turned it in and they were calling all guests who stayed in the room. It was sent Fedex back to The King. again - great info
    Ya Mon

Quote Originally Posted by Jahnadian View Post
    Wally - Great info! I did loose King Melon's ring when I gave him a new one at CN in 2008. The King was devastated - until CN called and let us know that it had been found. Turns out Housekeeping turned it in and they were calling all guests who stayed in the room. It was sent Fedex back to The King. again - great info
    ....Good deal!!

just out of curiosity, why did you choose not to wear them during the day? i can think of a bunch of reasons now that i stop to think about it but at first i was confused and only thought about theft. i was not worried about that when we were at csa before. now that i have a wedding ring i am a little more cautious with jewelry. i guess i might worry about my engagement ring while swimming. i just got it so recently so i have yet to do anything where i might consider taking it off. i am a little worried about swimming now. the ocean is a large place to drop something small too! is it bad for the rings to be in the ocean?
    i am glad you posted this. i will be bringing something for mine for when i don't wear it. i am also very glad you found yours! how devastating that would have been!

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    just out of curiosity, why did you choose not to wear them during the day?
    ...Theft would not be the problem. Rather, slipping off the finger. Not good in the ocean or the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    just out of curiosity, why did you choose not to wear them during the day? i can think of a bunch of reasons now that i stop to think about it but at first i was confused and only thought about theft. i was not worried about that when we were at csa before. now that i have a wedding ring i am a little more cautious with jewelry. i guess i might worry about my engagement ring while swimming. i just got it so recently so i have yet to do anything where i might consider taking it off. i am a little worried about swimming now. the ocean is a large place to drop something small too! is it bad for the rings to be in the ocean?
    i am glad you posted this. i will be bringing something for mine for when i don't wear it. i am also very glad you found yours! how devastating that would have been!
    Aside from losing it, the salt air will pit your gold, silver or platinum rings! Don't wear them to the beach! If you must wear rings, buy a cheap set to take to the beach. If you are afraid to leave them in the safe, leave them at home!
    [

re: why not wear them to the beach?

I've never gotten through a trip to CSA without seeing some frantic couple digging in the sand for a ring. Once that sucker drops, good luck. The last time was on the volleyball court and everybody stopped as soon as the guy noticed it fell so as not to kick around the sand, but it just sinks. Luckily, with the security metal detector it was found, but that was after over an hour searching manually. They never would have found it. Happens ALL the time. Just not worth the risk, IMHO.

Agreed its definitely not worth the risk of losing it just to wear it on vacation. My wife has a very nice ring and I wouldn't risk her wearing it anywhere outside the US. Especially a beach, water based resort. Needless to say, we're leaving our rings at home this trip!

Thanks,

X

Default thanks for the tip

We will be at CSA in 40 days and were talking about this very issue. My wife decided that she still needed to wear a ring, but did now want to risk losing her wedding ring. So she went out a bought a $100 fake diamond ring. So she still gets to sport some bling (all be it fake), and does not have to worry about losing it. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Aside from losing it, the salt air will pit your gold, silver or platinum rings! Don't wear them to the beach! If you must wear rings, buy a cheap set to take to the beach. If you are afraid to leave them in the safe, leave them at home!
    sorry to sound like an idiot but what does "pit your gold" mean? sounds bad. should i leave it off all the time we are there or only when we are going to be going into the water? usually we hang out at the beach, swim, scuba dive, etc and swim in the pool during the day. at night when the beach closes we shower off, eat dinner and do whatever is going on or walk around or whatever. would it be good to just leave them off during the day but put them on at night since we will have all the salt and chlorine washed off? what do you guys do? i didn't know any of this so i am glad i read this thread! thanks!!