Default Travel Insurance

Just wondering if most purchase the travel insurance or recommend it?

We always get it, as you never know what is going to happen. But, make sure you know what you are getting also. We always get the "cancel for any reason" plan. We've used it twice. Once, we needed to change the dates. The other time, my husband (at age 41) ended up in the hospital three days before we were to leave on vacation. He ended up needing major surgery on his colon. We got a travel vouchure and was able to reschedule later in the year.

We always purchase the insurance. It costs us $119 each and has paid off in the past. We fly out of the Midwest in the winter time and we never know what the weather is going to do. Two years ago, we were sitting on the runway waiting to take off and they announced over the intercom that they just closed the airport. Our vacation was actually extended by two days, due to the weather, and insurance covered everything.

Yes, yes, YES! As luv2sun said, make sure you know what you are getting but it gives us such peace of mind after spending so much on a vacation that anything can happen, illness, weather, losing your job, etc... Also, your luggage being lost or getting sick abroad. I would be worried sick without my insurance

We also purchased it and almost needed it. My brother passed the evening before we were to leave for the airport. My family insisted we continue on our vacation since we had said our goodbyes earlier that week, and it is what he would have wanted (at least according to his comments while we were there). But, had we decided not to go, we would have been covered.
    Linda

One of our friends and spouse just recently returned from a short cruise and pulled into port in Florida just as the east coast was getting covered with snow. They were not able to board a plane for home until two days later. Their trip insurance paid for two days stay at a nearby hotel, thereby saving them the $200 daily room charge they would have otherwise been responsible for.

Yes, I highly recommend that you do. As I write this I am on hold with our travel insurance company canceling for my brother-in-law & wife for our scheduled trip to CN this April. He lost his job in May and then was diagnosed with cancer in June. Talk about bad luck. My wife and I were taking them on what would most likely be his last trip to Jamaica ever. They aren't giving him much of a chance, maybe 2 years. We were remaining confident that he would be OK to go but now they have to do a stem cell transplant. He can't be in a tropical climate, eat fruit or be in the sun. That pretty much rules out Jamaica. They were the ones that told us about Couples after they went back in '01 and we went on our first trip to CN with them in '03. We've since been every year to either CN or CSS. They came with us to CN in 2004 when we renewed our vows for our 25th. We really hoped he could make one last trip "home". Get the insurance and, God forbid, pray you don't need it.

This question pertains to booking both hotel and airfare on couples.com. When you purchase the travel insurance from the couples site, is it just for the hotel, or for hotel and airfare?

Had to use ours this time. Friends we went with had a broken toe and it saved them alot of cash. They had to prepay dr bills but got it all back. Our return flight was cancelled and it paid for our room, all of our food and even magazines in the airport while we waited. We will purchase it every time from now on

Quote Originally Posted by BackNIowa View Post
    Had to use ours this time. Friends we went with had a broken toe and it saved them alot of cash. They had to prepay dr bills but got it all back. Our return flight was cancelled and it paid for our room, all of our food and even magazines in the airport while we waited. We will purchase it every time from now on
    This seems like a dumb question but I have to ask because I don't know...do you have to pay for everything first and then get your money back later?

Yes. You pay up front and get paid back later. Keep all receipts.