Thread: rasta village??

Default rasta village??

Anyone have any info on Rasta Village in Negril area? Sounds intriguing, considering paying a visit on our upcoming travels to CN. Any info on this would be appreciated!

http://www.rastavillage.com/aboutus.html

Thanks in advance,

XiveX

Sorry - never heard of them. I would be wary unless you do hear from others who have some knowledge of this group. Can never be too careful!

The Village is not in Negril, it's back up by MoBay. Since the website is not complete at the moment, if you'd like me to call and get answers to any particular questions you have, let me know. I live in Negril, so calling them is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jerzzgirl View Post
    Sorry - never heard of them. I would be wary unless you do hear from others who have some knowledge of this group. Can never be too careful!
    I have several friends who are true Rastas... And I do know of this place in Mo Bay. Rastas are the warmest , peaceful people I have ever met. I wouldn't be concerned at all about "this group"

RoadGypsy...

Is there not a Rastafarian "mission" in the hills above Negril? I thought I'd seen this one on the Negril.com website in the last year.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Chris, a cultural center has been a work in progress for a couple of years now...slowed down by "in-fighting" between the partners...not sure how the settlement is going. Nothing ready for website release or even a place yet to be counted on as to what's there or who to connect with.

Thx for the responses! I guess my main questions would be has anyone ever been, and is it worth going to, or is more like watching some tribal show on discovery about a bunch of people living off the land (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I could pass on visiting if thats all it is). If its cool and people have enjoyed visiting and learned from it, I'd be interested in checking it out..

X

Quote Originally Posted by WandA View Post
    I have several friends who are true Rastas... And I do know of this place in Mo Bay. Rastas are the warmest , peaceful people I have ever met. I wouldn't be concerned at all about "this group"
    I only was concerned because their website didn't seem to be complete so when traveling outside of the resort, one should always be cautious. My husband and I had a wonderful visit with the Office Of Nature group last March and we will be visiting them again this March!

We went during our trip. It was enjoyable, if a little pricey ($25 per person). You are there about two hours. You walk across a shallow, fast-moving stream, see some food prep, a typical sleeping structure, hear about the herbs, drink coconut milk and see some of the food they cook. There is also a small market (also a little pricey). Then, they played the drums for us and let us sample fresh fruit. There was an adorable little boy there who kept bringing my husband little plants and seeds for his pockets. Still, my husband thought it was a real, working village. Here at home we have a "Pioneer Village." When you go, you know they are people who don't really live there. That's how it is with the Rasta Village. They may be real Rastas, but they don't live there.