Default passport question

I recently got married. My drivers license says my married name, my passport says my former maiden name. I am trying to avoid paying the extra $95 to get my passport updated. Do you ever need to show both your license and your passport at the same time at customs/airport, etc? I hope to just show my passport. Thanks!

You only need to present your passport; I never even take my driver's license when we travel to Jamaica. However, the name on your airline ticket must match the name on your passport.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I have never been asked for my drvers license. In fact I don't even bring it with me. My 1st trip to Jamaica was my honeymoon and I used a passport with my maiden name. No problem. Have fun!

Mainegirl

melly: There is no fee to have your name changed on your passport. Simply send in your marriage license (as proof of marriage) and your current passport. You'll probably have to send in a new photo as well. Your new passport/marriage license will be returned in just a few weeks. Go to this website for more information. http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri...eName_851.html

Default Read me

Ok, I registered just so that I could answer this! My sister ran into trouble going through customs on her honey moon, what saved her was that she legally hyphened her last name. Spend the $95 updating your passport!!!! Do it!!!!

Your plane tickets need to be in the same name that your passport is in. If you have a different name on your plane reservation than is on your passport you will run into lots of trouble.

Ditto what the others said. You only need the passport, but if your ticket doesn't reflect the same name on the passport, you will have problems.

The passport issue can be a big deal... in fact, if the name on the passport does not match the name on the airline ticket, it will be a deal breaker.

Make sure they match!... and then use the passport at the guiding document. But don't be penny-wise and dollar-foolish. Get the passport fixed if you plan on further travel!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I had my passport amended. I don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't much. I would definitely make sure everything is consistent. g/l!

Since my passport is over a year old, it will be $95- but what's $95 when you are spending $3,000 on an amazing vacation, lol. I better get it changed just incase. thanks everyone

to elaborate on what sunseeker said- you DO have to pay if your passport is over 1 year old. they only waive the fee if it is less than one year old for a name change from a marriage.

we are traveling for our honeymoon so i am booking everything in my maiden name since that is how my passport reads. it will be less than a year old after we get back so i will just change it then.

Just want to add to this post. I traveled to Jamaica 4 days after I got married, this was before the passport rules changed. I had already had my license changed to my married but my plane tickets were in my maiden name with no time to change my passport but to save any issues I also carried a copy of my marriage certificate to reflect the legality of my name change, but if you have time get the passport updated you will get back the same passport with a notation on the last page of it showing the name change, I would double check what you are being told about cost it didn't cost me a dime to do it it is just an amendment to it not a whole new one. Didn't even have to send pictures.

Default picky names?

Will they get picky if the air ticket has a middle initial and the passport has a full middle name?
    Born in Illinois and Proud

I wonder if you have your marriage license with you show both names if that would eliminate an issue if there is one.

To play it safe with all the issues with travel now, I think I would just bite the bullet and get it changed, you will need to do it eventually anyway when you want to return to Couples... lol

Congrats on your wedding!

gspro2, i have had issues with that issue . not in the U.S., but in Jamaica when leaving. it was resolved quickly, but if they match it is better.

Randy

Jason just had to renew his passport...we mailed it off and had it back like 3 weeks later. Just wanted to let you know that it isn't the long delay like it was a few years back.