Default MBJ Airport Questions

We are booked a last minute vacation to CSS and booked a 1 bedroom Ocean suite based on what I have read from this most useful forum. This is our first time to Jamaica and have a few questions for the more seasoned Jamaica travelers.

1. I have looked at the MBJ airport website trying to find the location of the Couples lounge but have been unable to find it. Is blatantly obvious once we pass through immigration? I like to know where I am going before I get there so I don't look so "touristy".

2. We have been to Cancun and PV and after you pass through immigration you are met with a gauntlet of locals trying to aggressively sell timeshares. Is it the same way at MBJ airport or is it just like any other American airport?

Thanks in advance,
    Only 6 days and counting.

When you come through Immigration into the "hall of many hotels", just turn left. You may be able to guide yourself in by Ava's smile.

The Couples lounge is easy to find. After you pass through Jamaican Immigration, you'll pass through Customs and then exit into a hallway. You'll walk along with everyone else and come upon an open area with lounges for various resorts. The Couples lounge is clearly marked; you won't miss it.

Virtually every traveler at the airport is a tourist, so don't worry about being recognized as one.

We've been to Jamaica 15 times and have never been bothered by someone selling timeshares or anything else in the airport.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

the airport winds you out and around like any other...once you leave customs you will see the vast array of resort 'locations' so to speak...all you do is hang a left and head back into the corner...unless they have moved since ive been there. They will check in your baggage and if you have enough time before the bus leaves you can grab a redstripe at their bar.

Once they know you're already booked at a resort, no one will hassle you (except maybe to carry your luggage to the lounge).

The lounge is very close to the exit from customs. There will be some porters who will want to take your bags. Just tell them politely "no thank you" and proceed to the Couples lounge.

go left, walk past the S resorts mess, and look for bright green and blue happiness!!

Default Any info would help!

Quote Originally Posted by Dradran View Post
    We are booked a last minute vacation to CSS and booked a 1 bedroom Ocean suite based on what I have read from this most useful forum. This is our first time to Jamaica and have a few questions for the more seasoned Jamaica travelers.

1. I have looked at the MBJ airport website trying to find the location of the Couples lounge but have been unable to find it. Is blatantly obvious once we pass through immigration? I like to know where I am going before I get there so I don't look so "touristy".

2. We have been to Cancun and PV and after you pass through immigration you are met with a gauntlet of locals trying to aggressively sell timeshares. Is it the same way at MBJ airport or is it just like any other American airport?

Thanks in advance,
    My wife and I booked a trip to CSS in April. We have never visited Jamaica. It would be nice to know what to expect. Airport, tranfers to property etc.

No worries!

Here's the Cliffs Notes version:

One you get off the plane you'll be routed to Immigration. Once you pass this, then you will head to Baggage Claim. By the time you get here, chances are your bags will have already been taken off of the carousel and will be sitting next to it. Find your bags and head to Customs. Go to the Nothing to Declare line (assuming you have nothing to declare!) and once through, you're home free!! Keep heading to the Airport Exit and you will see the Couples Lounge. I've attached a pic. Once at the Lounge, you will check in, they will mark your luggage for your resort, then you are set! Belly up to the bar for a drink, use the bathroom, have a seat...but don't get too comfortable - the longest we've ever waited for a bus was about ten minutes - barely long enough to finish a drink. You really can't miss it!

I've never had anyone trying to sell me a timeshare, but I'm so focused on getting to the lounge it's possible I just ignored them!
    Last edited by Amy; March 4th, 2010 at 07:09 AM.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Thanks for all the response, they are very helpful. I am relieved to hear that it is not a bombardment of timeshare agents once you get out of immigration like it is in Cancun.
    I especially like the attached pic. The lounge looks pretty nice and tropical.

Before we even get there, it sounds like Jamaica will be our new vacation spot.

Less than 6 days to go till we are at CSS.

Thanks in advance,
    ....Once through immigrations, there are plenty of signs. No problem. Even I figured it out!!

Thanks for all the response, they are very helpful. I am relieved to hear that it is not a bombardment of timeshare agents once you get out of immigration like it is in Cancun.
    I especially like the attached pic. The lounge looks pretty nice and tropical.

Before we even get there, it sounds like Jamaica will be our new vacation spot.

Less than 6 days to go till we are at CSS.

We agree with your conclusion Dradran. We have also flown into cancun airport several times and were also greeted (harassed) by the timeshare brigade. It sounds to us like Jamaica will be our new vacation spot as well. Namely Couples by the sounds of things. And CSA to even more specific. LOL
    Just over a month until we are there.

Trevor & Heather

We've been going to Puerto Vallarta for 27 years. We have a timeshare there. The airport in PV is an absolute racket. From the time share people to the hotel transfer people. We take the walkway that goes over the highway and get a cab for $10. If you use someone at the airport they want $30-$40 for our family of 4.

Jamaica is not like that. The people are so friendly and helpful. If someone stops you they truly just want to direct you to where you are going. The people at the Couples lounge will tag your bags for your resort. Tip the guy that takes your bags out to the shuttle. We then tip the shuttle driver. If it's only us on the bus we tip $20. If there are several other couples we tip him $10.

Once you get to the resort put your wallet in the safe. It's so nice not have to pay the restaurant bill, convert pesos to dollars and then try to figure out what bus will get you home. On our first trip to CSA I told my wife that we were coming back every year. That was 2006. We are now booked for our 8th trip. You'll love it.

Amy - thanks for the picture. It sure looks easy to spot but it is nice to have a visual ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by dem10 View Post
    My wife and I booked a trip to CSS in April. We have never visited Jamaica. It would be nice to know what to expect. Airport, tranfers to property etc.
    Like what?? I think everything is pretty much covered in the posts here. Airport, just follow the crowd. MAKE SURE YOUR IMMIGRATION FORMS ARE FULLY COMPLETED or you will be pulled from the line to complete them. You do this on the plane so make sure your pens and itinerary are handy. If someone asks where you are going once you are out of Customs, just say Couples. When we do this, we just get pointed in the right direction (which we know anyway). We don't have the need to use the porters to get our luggage to the lounge but will let the porter take our luggage to the shuttle when they get ready. Same with the return flight as they will take right your departing flight. We just plan on a buck a bag. Your transfers are included in your All-Inclusive package and Couples transports ONLY Couples from other Couples Resorts. For instance, CN and CSA Guests will be on the same bus and CSS and CTI will be on the same bus. No other resorts, so no other resort stops. On our trip down last summer, we did not make any stops which was fine with us. Same for the return.
    Vicky

Just one more comment. This will be the easiest transfer through an airport you will ever experience. We've been there five times and every time I am amazed at how quickly they take you through. The wait at Couples lounge is never more than a few minutes. I hardly get to finish my Red Stripe and we are whisked away to paradise. You are going to love it !

Quote Originally Posted by iriesue View Post
    Amy - thanks for the picture. It sure looks easy to spot but it is nice to have a visual ahead of time.
    You're welcome! I always like to know what to expect too. Trust me, it will be fantastic! You'll be a repeater in no time
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015