Thread: Mosquitoes?

Default Mosquitoes?

I've read in several threads that mosquitoes are a problem. I’m wondering just how bad a problem it really is. Do you need to wear repellent all day long and is there a certain type that seems to be most effective? I imagine we will be in and out of the water all day long so would need to get a water proof repelent or keep re-applying it. Also, I read one post that suggested a mosquito plug in for your room -is this really necessary and if so, can you buy them at the resort? I don't know where to pick up something like that around here - perhaps a sporting goods store? Are there certain areas of the resorts at CN or CSA that have the biggest issue with mosquitoes-i.e. garden areas? We will be there in April.

Thanks for your help -

Renee

We have been to CN twice, both times in late Feb and early March. We never had any issues with mosquitoes or other insects. The restaurants and common areas of the resort is all open (no screens) -- still, no problem.

I have also read the posts about sand fleas, but we have never had a problem with these not so wonderful sounding creatures either! From what I have gleaned from the MB, the sand fleas may be an issue in the morning, evening, or after rain, and that some spray may be necessary during these times.

Enjoy your trip (I'm sure you will). I can't recommend Couples enough.

RJG in IA

In all our years of traveling to Jamaica in April we have yet to encounter a mosquito. My understanding is that around mid to the end of May is when they start to emerge.

We have traveled up the Black River and not one mosquito bite in the group.

If you are that concerned bring along some Skin So Soft. It acts as a good repellant.

As far as bringing a mosquito plug for the room. Leave it home you won't need it.

we were in CN in November and the only problem i had was in the early morning and dark, but they didn't bother my husband at all...not sure who that means is sweeter, lol, but we had one for the morning and at night and were fine.

Mosquitoes and sand fleas are only a problem at dusk and dawn. In six trips to Jamaica, we've never used any repellent. But then again, we live in South Florida where mosquitoes get large enough to carry off small dogs.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

We were at CSA in December. No mosquitoes at that time.

Default Thanks!

Thanks very much everyone. I will cross this off my worry list. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by RJG in IA View Post
    I've read in several threads that mosquitoes are a problem. I’m wondering just how bad a problem it really is. Do you need to wear repellent all day long and is there a certain type that seems to be most effective? I imagine we will be in and out of the water all day long so would need to get a water proof repelent or keep re-applying it. Also, I read one post that suggested a mosquito plug in for your room -is this really necessary and if so, can you buy them at the resort? I don't know where to pick up something like that around here - perhaps a sporting goods store? Are there certain areas of the resorts at CN or CSA that have the biggest issue with mosquitoes-i.e. garden areas? We will be there in April.

Thanks for your help -

Renee
    ....We were at CN this past November. Saw no Mosquitoes, but Sand Fleas were a bitch!!

Default CSS - Mosquitoes or Sand Fleas?

What about CSS? Does having less beach and more still water and trees/vegetation, etc. make a difference?

Here in Louisiana, we deal with those pesky mosquitoes from March to October. So --- do I need to bring repellent for April in CSS??

Kruzn
    April 24- 30, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by KruznSusan View Post
    What about CSS? Does having less beach and more still water and trees/vegetation, etc. make a difference?

Here in Louisiana, we deal with those pesky mosquitoes from March to October. So --- do I need to bring repellent for April in CSS??

Kruzn
    April 24- 30, 2010
    ...Keep n mind, this is the Tropics and temps vary little.

Default Mosquitoes bigger than aircraft carriers

Hey RJG. We are first timers to Jamaica but I can't imagine that the mosquitoes in Negril will be any larger or more aggressive that those found around Okoboji. Bring large WMD's, and a hunting license and you will be fine.

Seriously, I am bringing some deet for my ankles just in case. From what I have read mosquitoes are not the issue, but sand fleas/flys can be, depending on the time of year and whether you venture out at dusk (which is must do for the sunsets). Anything that bites, including my wife sometimes, find me delicious, so I come prepared! No nibbling!