Default 2 Hours and 3 Minutes - CTI to CN

We took a private transfer from CTI to CN this morning. We left at 6:03 and arrived at CN at 8:17...but, we stopped twice...once at an ATM and once for gas. Total trip was 2 hours and 14 minutes with th two stops! The cost was $250 and I tipped him $20. Great driver, great talker, great Jamaican guide and ignored most of the speed limits!

So, that's 3 times we've done the transfer from Negril to Ocho (or the reverse) and if you leave at 6:00 am, it takes 2 to 2-1/2hours. Now, the trip today was on a Sunday, but if you leave at 6:00 am, the Jamaicans are mostly still sleeping and the roads are practically empty!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

O.K. I need to know (as a CN lover) why did you leave CTI and go back to CN? Yes - I am nosey!! Hope you're enjoying CN!!!

Wally, I'm a bit confused here. Didn't you just stay at CN and transfer to CTI the other day? Did you have to return for a particular reason? Maybe I'm missing something in your trip itinerary.

Altho it was nice to see you make such great time with this latest transfer and that your driver was informative and all, I don't think we're up for spending that kind of money, especially when we can get pretty much the same transfer for free. And if there are no stops at the airport, the time difference between the two is virtually the same. Perhaps the ride isn't quite as nice or the driver not as informatative, but if it saves us two and a half Benjamins, we'll suffer the lesser experience.

But thanks for providing an alternative to our transfer opportunities.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Cands and Ron,

We just did not like CTI as much as CN. It is a hotel...a beautiful hotel, but it is a hotel! Too much building and not enough nature. Most of the resort is one big hotel. Most of the resort at CN is nature.

At CTI, to get to one of the three main restaurants, you leave your room, walk down a hotel hallway with rooms on both sides, take the elevator down to the lobby, walk through the lobby, down another hallway and into the restaurant. At CN, you walk out of your room and you are outside. Then there are several routes to the restaurant through the georgious grounds and "island feel" buildings. No thached roofs at CTI. No island feel.

Everytime we turn around here at CN, we find a another reason to never go anywhere else for our winter vaccation.

Tons of little surprises...like a waitress delivering fruit kabobs to the guests on the beach. The list goes on and on. The big thing though is that CN is the reason we come to Jamaica. We could stay at a hotel in the states.

Well, the days a waistin' so we need to get to watersports and then the beach!

Irie, Mon!!!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Wally - thanks for responding! Now go and enjoy CN to the fullest. We also call CN "home"!!! Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Cands and Ron,

We just did not like CTI as much as CN. It is a hotel...a beautiful hotel, but it is a hotel! Too much building and not enough nature. Most of the resort is one big hotel. Most of the resort at CN is nature.

At CTI, to get to one of the three main restaurants, you leave your room, walk down a hotel hallway with rooms on both sides, take the elevator down to the lobby, walk through the lobby, down another hallway and into the restaurant. At CN, you walk out of your room and you are outside. Then there are several routes to the restaurant through the georgious grounds and "island feel" buildings. No thached roofs at CTI. No island feel.

Everytime we turn around here at CN, we find a another reason to never go anywhere else for our winter vaccation.

Tons of little surprises...like a waitress delivering fruit kabobs to the guests on the beach. The list goes on and on. The big thing though is that CN is the reason we come to Jamaica. We could stay at a hotel in the states.

Well, the days a waistin' so we need to get to watersports and then the beach!

Irie, Mon!!!
    Ok, now it's finally making sense. Well first off, sorry CTI wasn't your cup of tea, but it sounds like you were more than able to salvage that portion of the trip by returning to your first love. Good for you, may the rest of your trip be super.

Rosa and I are very excited to experience both resorts (sure wish the CN leg could be 7 nites as well tho). While you made it clear that CTI is too hotel-like for your tastes, we fully anticipate loving the layout and decor. We're art deco/post modern afficiados, so CTI's layout and decor will very much be our cup of tea.

And yet I know we'll also love the more natural style that CN invokes as well. The same attitude would go toward the villagesque feel of CSA or the sheer tropical romance of CSS if we had chosen them instead. I guess we're fortunate that there are many layout designs and decor styles that we find attractive wherever we choose to travel. This same applies to urban vs rural, opulent vs simple, heck we've done it all. Just so long as it's vacation, we're open to most any situation.
    Ron

Ron, you are correct. We checked out and packed the evening prior to our transfer. Stopping at the airport could easily add an hour to the trip. Leaving at 10:00 am could easily add another hour to the trip. So, leaving at 10:00 am and stopping at the airport is a 4 hour trip (or more).

Ron, I am amazed at how well you describe each of the resorts having never been to any of them:

CN - Natural
    CTI - Art Deco/Post Modern
    CSA - Villagesque
    CSS - Tropical Romance

Right on!!!

It is very smart of Couples to have 4 very different resorts. No matter what your tastes, there is a Couples for you.

By the way, Seandymon followed us to CN. Although he is here working hard getting his arms around the Romance Rewards processes and problems, he takes time out to chat with us every time he sees us. Very nice man. Like father like son!!!

By the way, the weather here is still perfect!

Okay, enough chatting...off to dancing at the Cassava Terrace!!!

Irie, Mon!
    [

Hey wally are there any individuals at couples tower isle that are worth mentioning?

Everyone's opinion is different. We felt just the opposite after visiting Couples Negril. In our opinion it could not match up with Couples Ocho.
    It's good to have choices.....I can remember when the only other choice you had for a Couples resort was Couples St. Lucia.

I too was confused with the two posts CN-CTI and CTI-CN. Wally is correct that CTI is more hotel-like than CN or CSA. We've been to both CTI (pre renovation) in '03 and CSA in '08. We warned our daughter and son-in-law that CTI would be that way before they booked since we like CSA better. They liked what they saw on this site so went for CTI anyway. I remember that we stayed in a superior room in building 5 at the west end of the resort and there was a stairway at the end of the building that led you down to the beach side of the building. From there we could walk over to the stairs up to the lobby/restaurants. Is this stairway still there to avoid doing hall-walking?

Ron, I am amazed at how well you describe each of the resorts having never been to any of them:

CN - Natural
    CTI - Art Deco/Post Modern
    CSA - Villagesque
    CSS - Tropical Romance

Right on!!!
    Thanks bro. Just goes to show that if one does enough research and especially follows this message board closely, one can eventually understand and appreciate the vibe that each resorts puts out. This is what I'm always advising my fellow newbs who often ask which they should choose. Read up enough and eventually they'll find what they're seeking, the one that best suits their needs.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    Wally, I'm a bit confused here. Didn't you just stay at CN and transfer to CTI the other day? Did you have to return for a particular reason? Maybe I'm missing something in your trip itinerary.

Altho it was nice to see you make such great time with this latest transfer and that your driver was informative and all, I don't think we're up for spending that kind of money, especially when we can get pretty much the same transfer for free. And if there are no stops at the airport, the time difference between the two is virtually the same. Perhaps the ride isn't quite as nice or the driver not as informatative, but if it saves us two and a half Benjamins, we'll suffer the lesser experience.

But thanks for providing an alternative to our transfer opportunities.
    I'm confused....is Couples offering a transfer resort-to-resort now? In years past it was always "well, you can take the shuttle to the airport, then grab another couples shuttle to the other resort" type thing, which could be a good half-day process. which is why we've always chosen a private transport. We've never paid as much as 250, but still if Couples offers a free service (free of stops) I'd like to save some money!!

Quote Originally Posted by beachwed2007 View Post
    I'm confused....is Couples offering a transfer resort-to-resort now? In years past it was always "well, you can take the shuttle to the airport, then grab another couples shuttle to the other resort" type thing, which could be a good half-day process. which is why we've always chosen a private transport. We've never paid as much as 250, but still if Couples offers a free service (free of stops) I'd like to save some money!!
    what is the average you paid? and what was the average time? i think the OP made door to door in 2:03 which may be a new record i did not see anyone claim a sub 2:03 time.
    does anyone know what the average time is for the couples provided resort to resort shuttle

We made it from CSS to CN in 2 hours 11 minutes last March using the free Coupes transfer. First you need to leave at 6:00 am in order to miss the traffic in Montego Bay. Then, you need to get lucky and not stop at the airport. If someone is going to the airport at the same time you choose to leave, you will stop at the airport. If they need to pick someone up at the airport, who is going to the same resort (or the other one in the same city), at the time you pass through Montego Bay, you will have to stop at the airport. If you leave at 6:15 am, it will add another 15 minutes to the total time due to traffic picking up in Montego Bay.

Here is a summary of our three island transfers:

March: CSS to CN - Left at 6:00 am - Free Couples Transfer - 2 hours and 11 minutes

January: CN to CTI - Left at 6:15 am - Free Couples Transfer - 2 hours and 36 minutes

January: CTI to CN - Left at 6:00 am - Private Transfer ($250US) - 2 Hours 3 minutes

Couples provides a free transfer at any time you choose when you have a reservation at both resorts. We had to take a private transfer the last time because we decided to leave CTI and requested to return to CN for the rest of our vacation. They were very nice about arranging the change, and I understand why they did not provide the free transfer.

It is no faster to take (and pay for) a private transfer than the Couples free transfer, except that with a private transfer you are guaranteed a straight through trip with no stop at the airport.

If you have to stop at the airport, add an hour to your trip. If you leave at 7:00 am or later, add at least another hour to your transfer due to trafic in Montego Bay. There is no bypass around Montego Bay...you have to drive right through the middle of it!

Beachwed2007: If you call or email Couples and ask about their free transfer from Negril to Ocho Rios (or Ocho Rios to Negril) they will always tell you that you have to stop at the airport. In the two free transfers we have used we never stopped at the airport. This is another reason we like to leave at 6:00 am.
    [

Wally, as usual, outstanding advice regarding the transfer & suggested departure time. What I appreciate about this latest update is you also stress the important caveat of not guaranteeing the transfer won't make a pit stop at the airport. This really is more the luck of the draw, altho you've also mentioned several times that by departing so early, you reduce the chances of an airport stop. And of course the later you leave, the heavier traffic will be as you drive thru Mobay. Just stands to reason.

All I can say is this is exactly the plan of action we'll take with our transfer from CTI to CN. Now there are two items with your name attached, the Wally Transfer and the Wally Omelette!
    Ron

We made it from CSS to CN in 2 hours 11 minutes last March using the free Coupes transfer. First you need to leave at 6:00 am in order to miss the traffic in Montego Bay. Then, you need to get lucky and not stop at the airport. If someone is going to the airport at the same time you choose to leave, you will stop at the airport. If they need to pick someone up at the airport, who is going to the same resort (or the other one in the same city), at the time you pass through Montego Bay, you will have to stop at the airport. If you leave at 6:15 am, it will add another 15 minutes to the total time due to traffic picking up in Montego Bay.

Here is a summary of our three island transfers:

March: CSS to CN - Left at 6:00 am - Free Couples Transfer - 2 hours and 11 minutes

January: CN to CTI - Left at 6:15 am - Free Couples Transfer - 2 hours and 36 minutes

January: CTI to CN - Left at 6:00 am - Private Transfer ($250US) - 2 Hours 3 minutes

Couples provides a free transfer at any time you choose when you have a reservation at both resorts. We had to take a private transfer the last time because we decided to leave CTI and requested to return to CN for the rest of our vacation. They were very nice about arranging the change, and I understand why they did not provide the free transfer.

It is no faster to take (and pay for) a private transfer than the Couples free transfer, except that with a private transfer you are guaranteed a straight through trip with no stop at the airport.

If you have to stop at the airport, add an hour to your trip. If you leave at 7:00 am or later, add at least another hour to your transfer due to trafic in Montego Bay. There is no bypass around Montego Bay...you have to drive right through the middle of it!

Beachwed2007: If you call or email Couples and ask about their free transfer from Negril to Ocho Rios (or Ocho Rios to Negril) they will always tell you that you have to stop at the airport. In the two free transfers we have used we never stopped at the airport. This is another reason we like to leave at 6:00 am.
    can we make this a sticky it looks like wally has locked up the gold silver and bronze nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by beachwed2007 View Post
    I don't know if all the resorts are as accommodating but we were recently able to get a guaranteed direct transfer from CSS to CSA. It's the 3rd time we've done an Ocho Rios to Negirl split, in the past,like you, we always paid for a private transfer to avoid having to stop at the airport. But this time I thought it wouldnt hurt to see if we could save some money. I emailed CSS a month or so ahead of our trip and asked if we would be able to have a guaranteed direct transfer . They promptly emailed me back that it wouldnt be a problem. And it wasn't. A nice new Toyota pulled up right on time for our 7:30am transfer. I don't know what Couples official policy is on this, but there was a bus going to the aiport around the same time we were leaving and we were able to get a direct transfer. If I were you I'd contact the resort that your transferring from.

Quote Originally Posted by mshell View Post
    I don't know if all the resorts are as accommodating but we were recently able to get a guaranteed direct transfer from CSS to CSA. It's the 3rd time we've done an Ocho Rios to Negirl split, in the past,like you, we always paid for a private transfer to avoid having to stop at the airport. But this time I thought it wouldnt hurt to see if we could save some money. I emailed CSS a month or so ahead of our trip and asked if we would be able to have a guaranteed direct transfer . They promptly emailed me back that it wouldnt be a problem. And it wasn't. A nice new Toyota pulled up right on time for our 7:30am transfer. I don't know what Couples official policy is on this, but there was a bus going to the aiport around the same time we were leaving and we were able to get a direct transfer. If I were you I'd contact the resort that your transferring from.
    Wow, that is some very solid advice and best of all it's based on experience. Thanks a bunch, I'll definitely try that. Got nothing to lose, the worst they'd say is no and I'd simply be back to square one. Much appreciated!
    Ron

I"m happy to be able to share some firsthand info,Ron. Hope the direct transfer works out the same way for you.
    I was going to answer a question you had on another thread about doing trading places but leaving before 4 to return to your resort but I couldn't find the thread.(Hope its ok to hyjack this thread a bit) We did this in both Negril and Ocho Rios. No problem. This last trip we went over to CTI on the morning bus, stayed for about an hour or so and then just walked out to the road and flagged down a route taxi.(be sure taxi has red plate and if you don't want to share a ride determine up front the cost,route(shared ride)rate now just went up to 100j,which depending on exchange rate at the time, is a little over $1US. It shouldn't cost anymore to go between the Ocho Rios properties than it does to go between the Negril properties. If you dont want to go out and get your own taxi I"m sure the resort will get one for you. It will just cost a little more. Or who knows, they may have someone going that way.We walked a bit after leaving CTI and the Couples shuttle saw us and asked if we wanted a ride, we were going into town and not right back to CSS so we declined. Oh and be sure to let someone know at either the resort your leaving or once you get back to yours that you left early. You wouldnt want them holding up the bus back waiting for you.