Default Over-zealous locals

A few years back, my wife visited Ocho Rios and had a concern that needs addressed before deciding on returning. She had a bad experience being bombarded with people wanting money and/or pushing drugs on her. I want to assure her that things are not like that, but want to hear what you guys say first. Any comments are appreciated.

If your first visit to Ochi was on a cruise ship port of call, I can see where your wife might feel less than comfortable. Any port of call tends to be a bit of a zoo. Can't blame the locals for wanting to earn some money, though.

The Couples properties are, of course, very safe. While vendors are allowed to walk along the water line at CSA, they are nowhere near as pushy as the vendors in Aruba and Barbados (where they simply CANNOT believe that you have no possible interest in a time share property). But will she get approached at CSA? Probably, but a simple "no thanks" usually is sufficient. Even if you leave the property at CSA to walk 7 mile beach (highly recommended), the vendors are not all that aggressive, but sure, they want to earn a buck, too. CSS is in a private bay, and there are no vendors. We haven't been to the other properties (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by sccouple View Post
    A few years back, my wife visited Ocho Rios and had a concern that needs addressed before deciding on returning. She had a bad experience being bombarded with people wanting money and/or pushing drugs on her. I want to assure her that things are not like that, but want to hear what you guys say first. Any comments are appreciated.
    1) ja is a 3rd world country which means it is poor by north american standards
    2) Most folks visiting JA are seen as wealthy and "customers" for the local merchants
    3)Going into town you must understand that you are obvious visitors and will be the target of merchant looking to make a buck no different then the guy you bought your car from or your washer and dryer
    4) a simple no thank you and eye contact will go a long way
    5) have fun with it tell you wife when they offer her something have her ask for a pair of jimmy choos stilletos size 8 in taupe
    and you want them for under 500 bux.. worst case if they have them you are golden but chances are they wont and at last you gave the merchant a chance to make a sale
    6) if she never leave couples then you can assure her but that does limit your exposure to the island ... either way have fun

"No thank you" goes a long way. People are hustling to live, regardless of what's for sale, but they appreciate people saying "no".

I like the "jimmy choos" advice! LOL

From my experience from several trips to Jamaica and as others have said here, a smile and saying "no thanks" - Politely and Respectfully - will get you the same attitude in return.

If you are rude or ugly in any way you also likely to get THAT in return!

Sellers like to haggle and deal, too. We have sometimes closed a sale where we were close to finding a meeting of the minds on a price by offering to "pay you the difference in Heaven"!

Everyone is just trying to make their way the best they can. We once met a man selling cooked lobsters out of a cardboard box on the beach!

You sure won't be in Kansas, or NC, or AZ anymore!!

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by BlondieNC View Post
    I like the "jimmy choos" advice! LOL

From my experience from several trips to Jamaica and as others have said here, a smile and saying "no thanks" - Politely and Respectfully - will get you the same attitude in return.

If you are rude or ugly in any way you also likely to get THAT in return!

Sellers like to haggle and deal, too. We have sometimes closed a sale where we were close to finding a meeting of the minds on a price by offering to "pay you the difference in Heaven"!

Everyone is just trying to make their way the best they can. We once met a man selling cooked lobsters out of a cardboard box on the beach!

You sure won't be in Kansas, or NC, or AZ anymore!!

Debbie

debbie "pay you the difference in Heaven"! == BRILLIANT!!! i will have to note that for my next trip NICE