Thread: Size

Default Size

Hey guys me and my future wife will be coming to couples for our honeymoon. Needless to say I am not a small guy I am pretty big. I relize the flight will prob be a little uncomfortable. I read one thread on where some one was worried about feeling uncomfortable in a bathing suit or shirtless whatever, my concern is not that but what restrictions are in place for example the scuba diving, horse back riding, zip line, is thier weight restrictions on this stuff i would just like to know before I sign up for these activites and get out there and we are not able to do it because of my size. I read the medical form on the PADI website and even though I am a big guy being over wieght is my only health problem. Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks

My husband and I are also 'large Americans' as he puts it, lol. Between prior vacations and research on an upcoming one at CSA, we have found that Generally zip lining, pair-a-sailing, horseback riding, tubing the river all have weight restrictions of about 250...sometimes 275. Haven't seen a boat ride that has one (glass bottom, catamaran, etc). Not sure how much they are enforced- but it is probably a safety thing on most. Not sure if there are weight restrictions on the scuba- but my husband doubted the equipment would fit him as we contemplated trying it(wet suits, back pack thing that holds the oxygen, etc)-but you may want to try it all on, you never know- it might fit fine. Have a fun vacation- none of this will stop you from having the time of your life! Enjoy!

Hey there Big_guy,
    yes, there are restrictions on some activities (like horseback riding which I believe is 250# - or at least it was the last time we did it). There is also likely weight restrictions on zip-lining which you might be able to get an idea of by searching the web for the excursions you want to do. On our last trip to CTI, two of the guys with us were not able to do the horseback riding due to the weight requirements.
    My husband and I dive and I don't believe there is a weight restriction per say, but depending on the equipment available at the resort, you might have a problem finding a BC or mask that fits correctly. It will also mean that you will have to carry more weight on your weight belt to overcome the salt water.
    Have a great trip!
    Ashley

Quote Originally Posted by Big_guy View Post
    horse back riding, zip line, is there weight restrictions on this stuff i would just like to know before I sign up for these activities and get out there and we are not able to do it because of my size. I read the medical form on the PADI website and even though I am a big guy being overweight is my only health problem. Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks
    ....You can go online to check weight limits. I know there are for riding and "Zip Lines". Forgot what they were, but know I am well over the limits for the 2 above.

I know that horseback riding has a 250lb. limit and zip lining has a 265lb weight restriction. I'm not sure about scuba. I'm sure someone more experienced with diving can answer.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Ok Scuba diving: my husband and I are plus size and we both scuba dive and love. As long as you can do what is required by the padi guide line you are all set. i know that horseback riding a several others do have weight restrictions. if they are offered by the resort as part of the inclusions the restrictins are listed there if yu are booking some on your own definately ask and find out if any restrictions are there. Have a great trip and hope you will be able to call this "home" as a lot of us do,

I found a nice web site www.viator.com. It gives you a list of things to do with a detailed decription, plus reviews, pictures, times, cost, how long, location, and weight limits.

Hope this helps.

Hi
    Not to worry there are plenty of activities that you can go on! I can speak to the horse back riding, there is a 250 pound weight limit for them. For the Scuba course you will have to get a medical form signed by your doctor in order to participate. I'm sure someone else can answer your other questions. Enjoy your honeymoon, you will lover it!

I do not know your weight, but horse back riding the limit is 250lbs. Zip lining is 300lbs. I have not seen any weight rules for scuba.
    Irie Mon

I think everyone is in the same ballpark for the most part. I recall it being 250 for the horseback riding and 268 for the Chukka ziplines.

The reason the numbers have stuck so vividly in my mind is these activities were two of the key driving forces in my commencing with a weight loss program (50 lbs down at my last weigh in). It would have been very upsetting to not partake in these two fun excursions because I was too heavy, which frankly I was prior to the weight loss. Not any more baby!
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    ...(50 lbs down at my last weigh in). It would have been very upsetting to not partake in these two fun excursions because I was too heavy, which frankly I was prior to the weight loss. Not any more baby!
    Way to go! 50lbs is awesome! Now just lose an extra five so when you put 5 on while at CTI enjoying all of the yummy food it will equal out
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by melly View Post
    Haven't seen a boat ride that has one (glass bottom, catamaran, etc). Not sure how much they are enforced- but it is probably a safety thing on most. Not sure if there are weight restrictions on the scuba- but my husband doubted the equipment would fit him as we contemplated trying it(wet suits, back pack thing that holds the oxygen, etc)-but you may want to try it all on, you never know- it might fit fine. Have a fun vacation- none of this will stop you from having the time of your life! Enjoy!
    ....There are no weight restrictions that I know of for any of the boating activities. And they don't use "Wet Suits" for scuba diving.

Your medical certificate from your doctor will suffice, even if you are 350 lbs. Peanuts.

Plenty of " larger " people on the glass bottom boats, catamaran cruise , and snorkeling. They have no scale to be weighed before these activities. The water sports area at CSA has several "larger" life jackets for the people on the large side. My husband also, did water skiing and no weight restriction noted. My husband is probably #260 pound and is 5'10". We met a larger man at the pool one day, probably #350 pounds and he was afraid to try these activities out of fear that a life jacket would not fit, and did not want to go thru the embarrassment . We were able to talk him into joining us the next morning , as soon as water sports opened and he tried on the jacket and - yeh - it fit ! ( little snug but still looked fine ). Well guess what, this man whose wife could not get out of the corner of the pool that first day was one of the most active people at the resort that week. He was doing everything from water skiing to the hobie cats. He was walking around the resort in his swimming suit from early morning until dinner time every day. I think he also realized that no one was there to judge him, and he loved that !

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Way to go! 50lbs is awesome! Now just lose an extra five so when you put 5 on while at CTI enjoying all of the yummy food it will equal out
    Uhhhh...HELLO...I gained 8!!! But LOVED every minute of it Now back to the diet!!
    Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    LOL Amy, you read my mind. Both Rosa and I factored in the excess gainage resulting from our trip when we started out with our weight loss goals. In fact Rosa is really only planning to permanently lose 25 lbs, even tho her stated goal by trip time is 30. Yep, you guessed it, that's so she can add back the additional 5 from enjoying all that fantastic food and drink.

BTW, I thought I read somewhere - maybe on the meet-up board - that you and hub will be at CTI around the same time as we'll be, which for us is from 4/10 thru 4/16. If so, I would dearly love to meet you in person. You are always one of the most helpful people in here, plus we share the same philosophy when it comes to advising my fellow newbs who seek help in choosing their resorts. By the same philosophy, I of course mean that rather than just say which one to choose, we prefer to give them specific resort info to help them make up their own minds. However, I think we're in the minority with this approach.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.