Default Blackberry question...

We will be staying at CSS in late February / early March... will my Blackberry work while I am there? I need to know before leaving home....

My BB worked at CSS while on T-mobile. I now have Verizon so I'll find out in May if that works. My Verizon phones have always worked so it shouldn't be a problem. I would call your provider to see if you need to do anything special ahead of time. In October at CSA, my new BB (on T-mobile, just a new phone) didn't work until I pulled the battery out and put it back in. No idea why, but thats what they told me to do and it worked.

Call your service provider. I have the Blackberry World Edition (you would think it would automatically work anywhere) but I had to purchase a SIM card and every time I go out of the US I have to add an international calling which is $20 a month. My husband has the Pearl and would not work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DEBBIELEEH View Post
    We will be staying at CSS in late February / early March... will my Blackberry work while I am there? I need to know before leaving home....
    As long as it is a GSM BlackBerry it should work. (May require a SIM card)
    CDMA BlackBerrys don't work in Jamaica.

Cheers,
    Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

The best way to know, and to know how much it might cost, is to call your provider and ask. For instance, I have an iPhone (which connects ot the Digicell network in Jamaica) but on my plan it didn't cost any extra for incoming calls or texts while in Jamaica.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Default blackberry

I am going there for first time on Thursday. I have a blackberry and have Verizon. I was told by them they havea coverage. You may want to check in to getting a global plan for that week. Verizon let me change it to start my vacation day, and I can change it back when I get home. This cost maybe an extra $10 for the week, and I get my normal service without extra charges. Without it, I would have and extra charges based on my usage and megabits or whatever. Call your provider. The phone plan was still $2 a minute, so I am not answering calls or checking voice mails. Texts coming in where like 5 cents, and sending like 50 cents. Verizon had no extra plans for these.

Yes it will work, but it may be very costly depending on the service provider. You will need to add roaming in Jamaica.

A better way to get your emails, and for free, is use a Ipod touch. All you need to do is go to one of the free wifi places and get your emails.
    Irie Mon

what carrier do you have? if you use a gsm carrier you can at the very least get a different sim card once you are there.

forgot to mention that if you have wifi on it you can connect that way. you would not be able to make calls though. it would only work when in an area with wifi. i don't know where that would be at css as i have only been to csa.

yes but you'll have to pay international calling/data charges for most cell companies check with your provider but it should work.

Ok... let's see.. i have a blackberry pearl flip phone 8230. How do I know if it's gsm or cdma? Our provider is a small local carrier named Carolina West.... keep me posted if anyone knows anything else....please.

my Verizon Blackberry worked flawless at Swept Away last October. calls, text, and e-mail.

Randy

Forget the thing, leave it at home or just don't use it, CSS has free internet computers to use.

Quote Originally Posted by DEBBIELEEH View Post
    ....Be prepared for high charges on your cell phone bill. We left our's at home.

Default Blackberry

Yes, but there is some set up that you will have to do in advance of your trip. I have verizon, the blackberry tour, you need to ensure you have the global program before you leave. You can then switch back to your normal program upon return since there is an additional cost. Once you arrive, turn on your blackberry and take out the battery for 30 seconds. You may have to also go into options, mobile network, and change global to 1xEV. It is nice to stay connected, but I have found it is to expensive to use the phone since roaming fees are so expensive!

I have Sprint and my BB worked when we were at CSS last August.

I was on 7 mile back in Oct. 09 and my sprint/nextel phone did not work. I even purchased a GSM phone. I don't know if sprint did not have a contract with Digicel or what. I was not a happy camper. I did see that someone mentioned pulling battery. That is the one thing I did not try. I do know that you need a GSM phone for sure.

Well my new Verizon BB is CDMA so I guess I'll find out if it works or not. I take my phone for emergencies but at CTI last year I also made calls on my iPod touch using Skype on the wifi which worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandan View Post
    Well my new Verizon BB is CDMA so I guess I'll find out if it works or not. I take my phone for emergencies but at CTI last year I also made calls on my iPod touch using Skype on the wifi which worked great.
    Been there, done that, CDMA won't work in most places in the Caribbean including Jamaica. GSM only.

Cheers,
    The Janadians

Robert Nesta Marley

You don't need a GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile) phone in Jamaica - there are CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) signals there. Your plan may dictate whether your phone is "locked" against receiving/using the signal, though. For along time, yes, Jamaica was GSM only, but Digicel offers CDMA technology now.

When you enter the customs area, there's a big Digicel sign that has all the main US carriers on it, letting you know you can get their signal on that network.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineChick View Post
    Things that make you go hmmmm....Travelled to Jamaica 5 times since 2007, with both CDMA mobile phones and BlackBerries. As of yet haven't had one work. My network provider which is affiliated with Bell biggest CDMA provider in Canada says no way. A GSM/CDMA World Phone would work for voice only not data.

My guess is Canadian roaming customers don't count.

Cheers,
    The Janadians

Robert Nesta Marley

Quote Originally Posted by Charmo View Post
    My "Rogers" phone worked in JA. But really, I only know that because it worked getting off the plane. I turned it off and never turned it on until I was back in North America.

When I go away, I disconnect from the world. If there's an emergency, my family can call the resort to get me.
    'Cuz your Rogers phone is GSM not CDMA. As for turning it off, that is the best idea I've heard since this thread started. It doesn't bother me a bit that my BlackBerry doesn't work when I'm chillin' in Jamaica.

Worst case scenario if you just have to get your "fix" there is always the internet.

Cheers,
    The Janadians

Robert Nesta Marley

Another Canuck here! When we were in Jamaica in December, neither of our phones worked. Telus is our carrier! The basic phone had nothing for service! The Blackberry pearl with no sim card capability also could not work... For texting anyways. The Blackberry would work for phones, but we didnt want to use it for calls, just texting. We had even talked to Telus before we left to make sure the phones worked. Thankfully the internet provided by Couples helped us out as we had flight issues! And the better half needs to check on her 4legged kids at home!