Default Need Advice-Which resort to pick?

My fiancé and I are getting married in June 2010 and are looking at one of the couples resorts to go to. We don’t know which one to pick. We are looking to have a great time and enjoy our trip. We are young fun people who like to have a good time. Any advice for us??? Thanks

You will have a great time at any of the resorts. Look at what each has to offer, they are all great in different ways. No one is better than the others.

Ask lots of question on the board and one will call you. What are you looking for?
    Irie Mon

I hate to tell you this but ALL the resorts fill your requirements. Take your time and read all about each place and look at all the pictures and ONE will call to you. Don't worry, you can't go wrong!

*Which resort has the best pools? We are also looking to go to the spa.
    *Does any resort have more room than the others? (we want to lay out by the pool, but don't want to be on top of people)
    *We are interested in doing the zip line (which i'm sure is an off-site excursions), anyone has advice about that??

If its the pool scene you're looking for, Couples Negril may be more to your liking... but the other resorts also have fine pool facilities. Its just that CN has a reputation as being more of a pool-centric resort. (Mind you, I've not been there.)

As for being spread out, SweptAway takes honors there. It spans a significant stretch of Seven Mile Beach (about 1500+ footage from end to tend). That's a lot of beach, and because its rooms are spread across most of this length, you'll find plenty of room stretch out and relax... or to do whatever. Lots of activities along the way.

Zip-lines - found up near OchoRios; there is also one at YS Falls, but if you've ever done point-to-point zipping, this might be a disappointment. I understand they only have a two point line, and having been there before the line was put in, I can't imagine it would be worth the trip just to do that... but no worries! There is plenty to do on this excursion besides the zipline, and you can roll it in with a stop at other attractions on that part of the island, such as the Appleton Estate or Black River Delta.

Enjoy!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by LMT4242 View Post
    *Which resort has the best pools? We are also looking to go to the spa.
    *Does any resort have more room than the others? (we want to lay out by the pool, but don't want to be on top of people)
    *We are interested in doing the zip line (which i'm sure is an off-site excursions), anyone has advice about that??
    LMT, let me start off by saying I have yet to step foot on Jamaican/Couples soil, and any info given here is courtesy of research only, not experience - so take it for what it's worth.

I believe the centrally located main pool at CN is the biggest in the resort chain, but the veteran multi-resort experts in here can better advise of this. I know many vets have often cited this pool as being the most social of them all, altho the newly renovated main and swim up bar pools at CTI are fast gaining some positive reputations. I'll have to leave the answer to your question about the spas up to the vets, they can provide better details on all four resorts.

As for resort size, CSA in Negril and CSS in Ocho Rios are the biggest. However, with respect to practical walking about areas, my guess is CSA ranks the largest, as much of CSS is built into the coastal cliffside. CN and CTI are the most compact resorts.

If ziplining is super high on your agenda, then you may need to consider staying in OR (CSS or CTI), being the most extensive and highest rated ziplining is found on this part of the island. It's not that you can't find this activity out of Negril, it's just not as extensive as what's available in OR. For instance, the biggest excursion, run by the Chukka tour company, contains 9 ziplines of varying length if I recall correctly.

Hope some of this info helps.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

check out youtube.com. That is how we chose which Couples to stay at. A lot of people post videos of the resorts and it gives you a great idea as to what the look and feel is of each resort.

CTI is awesome! Excellent food, superior staff, wonderful acommodations. We did the ziplining through Chukka Caribbean tours (signed up and paid for it at the CTI tour desk in a matter of minutes - very easy). Tour was fanastic. Nine different traverses through the rainforest (including one "freefall" traverse that was exhilarating). Very thrilling and exciting. Would do it again. Total time roundtrip was four hours - it was about a half hour or so bus ride there oneway so you're on the zipline tour nearly three hours. And you can't beat all the other offsite excursions included at CTI - horseback riding, Dunn's River Falls, snorkeling, sunset catamaran cruise, the list goes on. You won't be disappointed at CTI! Enjoy!

Thanks for all the advice. This is such a hard decision to make. Each resort has its pros and cons. With the renovations at CTI, does that give it any advantages?

We have only been to CSS, but we where married there in march, it is a nice resort, on it's own private beach so no vendors or any traffic from off resort has 4 pools (1 being at ssb) never seen the 3 textiled pools over crowded, from what others here have said it takes care of your zip lining also night life is as involved as you want to be. Don't get me wrong not a big rowdy drunk fest going on all night, but nightly entertainment and fun. If you would like pictures don't hesitate to ask can email picts of wedding and resort we have. Just email me solidwastegod@q.com

Quote Originally Posted by LMT4242 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. This is such a hard decision to make. Each resort has its pros and cons. With the renovations at CTI, does that give it any advantages?
    I'm not sure it gives any advantages, other than the obvious that it's going to be fresher and newer looking than the other resorts. But this doesn't necessarily equate to being better. It's really more a matter of taste. The plusses that CTI offers have already been mentioned in this and other threads: the renovations, the most inclusive activities, and that it's avg price is lower than the other resorts, but not really by all that much. I can't list this next positive as being exclusive to CTI because all four resorts are infamous for the great service provided by their respective staffs. But I have noticed that CTI reviews tend to especially laud the staff there.

So what you have to do is prioritize what's most important to you, as in what you want out of your resort, both inside and outside of it. It's always been my belief for any vacation that I first list what matters most to me and in what degree of importance before honing in on an actual place to stay. Do this first and don't be surprised if one of them starts "calling" to you, as it's fond of being referred around here. Good luck.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.