Default Road construction complete?

Hey everybody !!

This is my first time visiting this message board. We are planning our wedding at CN in April.

I was wondering if the road construction from Montego Bay airport to CN is complete? We were worried that the bus ride could be a disaster.

Any info on the status would be appreciated.

Never a disaster but always an adventure.

I didn't know they were rebuilding it. Knew about a few changes but your ride should be OK.

Default bus ride from CN to Montego Bay airport took 1hr10min

We took the bus ride yesterday sadly, as we left CN after 7 fantastic days. We left the resort at 11:15 am and were in the airport by 12:20 pm.
    Have a lovely wedding & honeymoon!
    Cindi & Marc

We just drove through the road construction in Montego Bay 4 times in the last 2 1/2 weeks. It took only 7-8 minutes to get through it each time. Once was mid-afternoon, once was mid-morning and twice were about 7:00 am. Not a problem.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

The road to Negril was rebuilt several years ago. As in any metro area, there always seems to be a number of road construction projects near Montego Bay, but these always seem to be more of a nuisance as you arrive as opposed to departure (probably because our getaway day is normally Sunday). There will not be problems with road construction... unless I'm missing something.

Where did you hear about construction?
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

We went last year and the roads aren't bad. You will go through some towns and see what a third world country looks like. Make sure you look at the ocean and how blue it looks as you are driving aside it.

When we were there in late 2008, they'd taken out a bridge - has that bridge been repaired since then?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Where did you hear about construction?
    We were there in November and there is road construction going on between the Airport and Negril. We came in on a Sunday and left on a Friday and it really didn't seem to slow us down too much either way. There weren't any periods of sitting there for a long time, like there sometimes is during construction. I woud say it would depend on what day/time you come through though and the slowdown could be different.

There is CURRENT road construction in Mo Bay just past the Airport..and it's kind of a mess.....but it's set up so that there is always a detour, so the delays are minimal. I have a ton of photos but theyre' too large to upload here.

The construction is the in MoBay should in no way detract from your wedding. The bus ride should be just fine, to be honest I am not sure who told you that the it could make your wedding a diaster. May take a couple of more minutes to get through depending on what time of the day you arrive, but it should all be good.

And congratulations on your wedding. You picked the best spot to start your new life.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineChick View Post
    When we were there in late 2008, they'd taken out a bridge - has that bridge been repaired since then?
    "They" didn't take out the bridge - Mother Nature did that with Hurricane Ivan.

As of late October it was "almost" done - taking into consideration how Jamaica time works who know when it will open! We'll see how it's going in a couple of weeks.
    COR Feb 98; CN Jan 09; CN Oct 09; CSA Feb 10; CN Oct 10; CN Sep 11

in 12/09 there was road construction to the east of the airport in Mo Bay
    so did not affect our ride to and from CSA

No, the bus driver told us the construction workers removed a bridge. I'm pretty sure this was true because we drove over that same bridge on the way to the resort in December 2008 and then it was gone on the way back to the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineChick View Post
    No, the bus driver told us the construction workers removed a bridge. I'm pretty sure this was true because we drove over that same bridge on the way to the resort in December 2008 and then it was gone on the way back to the airport.
    We must be talking about a different bridge then!
    COR Feb 98; CN Jan 09; CN Oct 09; CSA Feb 10; CN Oct 10; CN Sep 11

The current construction is on the west side of Montego Bay.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I believe the bridge referenced is the one at the east end of Lucea Harbour (at the mouth of one of the branches of the Lucea River). My recollection is that particular bridge has always been a bit of a problem, even after the highway was rebuilt in the late '90's/early '00's. It's never a bottleneck, though. Seems everyone plays nice and takes their turn.

Sit back and relax... enjoy the ride!
    Chris

As I recall, it was the bridge that only has room for one car in each direction that was removed. On the way there, the driver said it was possible they would remove the bridge. On the way back to the airport at the end of the trip, it was gone and we took a detour driving down a hill next to the bridge. It's about halfway to Negril.

There was a one lane bridge just a few minutes east of Negril when we were there in 2006. In March of 2009, they had constructed a temporary one lane bridge while they replaced the original. Now, in January 2010, the new bridge is complete and traffic is flowing across it. It is a beautiful wide two lane bridge made of concrete with guard rails and everything.
    [

Thanks Wally!
    Chris