Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We flew Delta and somehow our luggage arrived home looking like Freddy Kruger got ahold of it, it was literally shredded!! Plus, Bryan's golf case, the latches were busted off!!
    Kristen

I need to stop reading this thread...hahah!!! I'm going to drive myself nuts until May!! But I know that everyone has horror stories, and those stick with you. I usually fly Continnental, but with the outrageous prices they had, we really really lucked out and got ours for $380 last week through Delta. As long as I get there save and sound, I'm happy =) I've realized I don't have control over anything else, so it is what it is!!

stef -

That's a far better attitude!... enjoy!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Stef528, not trying to scare you or tell war stories as this was the only time we had luggage problems in the last 4 decades of flying. I concider us lucky I guess. Delta did get our luggage to us late that evening before we went to bed. Lesson learned as all I carried onboard was my ticket and passport being I never had a problem all these years. Who knew? Couples is well equipped for this sort of thing and they have a travel pack you get with razor, tooth brush ect. to help out so you're not stranded to freshen up. Just bring a change of clothes in a carry on just in case. It can happen with any airline. Relax, all will be ok.

Suhrah,
    As for Continental, we just booked last week on the last day of Couples special rate offer for this April. We had to change for leaving a day later as the flight was several hundred less flying on a Sunday. If your dates were flexible, one day can make the difference in the rates you mention. Our flight was in the $600 range.

As long as my luggage comes, at least within a day, i will be fine bc i always pack a 2 dresses, 2 bikinis, beach read, and makeup in my carry on =)

Default Customs??

Okay, now I'm worried about this whole connection thing. Usually, I don't sweat this stuff. Our "layover" in Atlanta is only a little over an hour.

I haven't traveled internationally in awhile. Please, someone tell me how customs works again. From, when you get to Atlanta, to getting on the plane. How is it different from normal connections?

STL-ATL-MBJ is our flight

Just a note on USAir in December. I would go ahead and make your reservations fairly early. They overbook by quite a bit. Last month they held us hostage on the plane for an extra hour until they finally coerced a volunteer to give up a seat.
    Having said that - we've flown USAir, Air Jamaica, Spirit, and American to MBJ and have late and early experiences with every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by claerin View Post
    Okay, now I'm worried about this whole connection thing. Usually, I don't sweat this stuff. Our "layover" in Atlanta is only a little over an hour.

I haven't traveled internationally in awhile. Please, someone tell me how customs works again. From, when you get to Atlanta, to getting on the plane. How is it different from normal connections?

STL-ATL-MBJ is our flight

We also have only 55 minutes for our layover also!! Is that enough time??

CLE-ATL-MBJ is our flight. we leave Cleveland at 5:55am and land at 7:25 and then at 8:20 we leave for Jamaica!!!

An hour layover on the way to Jamaica shouldn't be an issue barring delays in your originating flight taking off (which could make you miss your connection). You don't have to deal with customs and immigration on the layover on the way there.

It's a layover upon return to the states where you would need more due to having to go through immigration and customs at your first U.S. airport (your layover airport). That's the leg where you need to allow time for the extra steps.

Ok... a clarification on Customs.

When you check in at your departure airport, you will use your passport to obtain your boarding pass. That's it. No contact with Customs until you arrive in Jamaica.

Likewise when you depart Jamaica. Albeit a bit more chaotic, you will get your boarding pass, and use your passport to obtain it... but again, you will proceed to your gate, board your flight, and then pass through Customs at your first landing point. Now HERE is where you need to be sure your layover is of sufficient length to catch your connecting flight.

Hope that helps....
    Chris

Getting back to the original question, we book our flight based on times and price. There are no direct flights from Denver so we just do our best to arrive in Jamaica as early as possible. We like the Delta flight out of Denver at 1am and arriving Jamaica at 11am going through Atlanta. We have also taken the AA flight through Dallas, but understand that flight is no longer available.

It really depends on what your priorities are. We want to get there the earliest possible for the least amount of money and are willing to take any airline that will do that for us.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

A pleasant surprise this morning from Delta!

In previous years, with NWA, we were never able to choose our seats until we were 90 days out from departure. This morning, we received a notification from Delta that, as a continuing evolution from NWA to Delta, our NWA itinerary was being replaced with a Delta itinerary, and oh, by the way, our first flight had seats assigned.

So... I went to the website, pulled up our reservation, and voila... I was able to assign our seats for all our flights week of May22-30!

Most cool!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A pleasant surprise this morning from Delta!

In previous years, with NWA, we were never able to choose our seats until we were 90 days out from departure. This morning, we received a notification from Delta that, as a continuing evolution from NWA to Delta, our NWA itinerary was being replaced with a Delta itinerary, and oh, by the way, our first flight had seats assigned.

So... I went to the website, pulled up our reservation, and voila... I was able to assign our seats for all our flights week of May22-30!

Most cool!

I booked through Expedia and got to choose our seats for our Delta flights.

stef -

I was told exactly the same thing this morning when I related this to a workmate. The 90 day thing might have been a NWA thing??
    Chris

We are flying continental in April. Direct flights out of Newark. We flew AA in August 2008 out of JFK and didn't have a problem at all.

Price of Continental flight (direct) was ridiculous.

But it was the most convenient in all ways and honestly, I would pay more money for convenience anytime just so that I don't have any horror stories like the ones I have read in this thread.

But good luck!

Oh, ouch! Speaking of airlines behaving badly... looks like AJ is taking a dump on its paying (and paid-up) customers! So much for government owned airlines! That's too bad, too... I've known many folks who LOVED those flights!
    Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2