Thread: Very Sad Day

Hybrid View

Default Very Sad Day

We returned from CSA 17th June 09 after a 14 day holiday. We were so impressed that we decided that this was the place for us from now on. Although more expensive than our past holidays we found that it was worth every penny. Then I seen the $500 credit offered and started to look for June 2010. I was shocked that the same holiday traveling from the UK next year had risen by £980 thats $1602. Also to add to the misery, the credits for spa & shop were for American travelers only. I was put in touch with Couples UK, the lady explained that the flights had gone up but Couples rates had stayed the same. She then went on to explain about the rates in US to UK and why credits were aimed at American market. She put me in touch with a company who deal with UK package deals to CSA. In fairness they did get me a better deal but still allot more than this year. I was also offered a credit of $250 if I booked the holiday. Its always hard when you go on holidays and you come across people who have managed better deals than you. But that's life. However, when you go on holidays already knowing your holiday has risen in cost dramatically in a year and there will also be people there that received $500 resort credit. Sadly I don't think we will be able to return now which is such a let down as we had the times of our lives and were so looking forward to our return visits.

ETF

Don't worry just wait them out - things will most likely go on sale eventually.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

ETF

Thanks for posting your comments. I am sure that many folks from the UK might in the future benefit from your words.

The market in the USA is different than Canada and the UK but none the less it is still a market place that Couples acknowledges.

I bet as Randymon reads this post he is thinking hmmmmmmm What can I create to excite the UK market!

I'm sorry to hear you may nnot be able to go... I hope a sale comes along that makes it possible for you!!!!
    -Otter,

Thank you for your comments. I hope that something does come along as after spending this holiday at Couples I feel that anything else I book would be a let down. We had such a great time, we both said as long as we could afford the holiday we would go back year after year. Couples have a way of making you feel part of a big family. It came to us as a shock the price rises for next year. This in the main is down to fuel costs etc. However, it would have been nice to have also had the chance of the credits. At least Jan would have had her time at the Spa and I would have my coffee beans to bring home.
    Lets hope some kind of offer comes up in the near future that includes the UK. That way we may get back to CSA same time next year.

Regards,
    ETF

The price your being quoted on the flights are their regular retail price. Being that it is just a hair under a year away, I'm suprised they even have the flights scheduled.

Assuming the booking rules are the same for the UK as for us across the pond, I would say go ahead and put a deposit down on your room. Keep checking the flights and my guess is that in about 4-5 months, you will see them start to go on sale.

Worst case scenario: If the flights do not come down to withing your affordable price range, you can still cancel and get your deposit back as long as it is still greater than 45 days out. The only thing you would be out of is your trip insurance costs, if you purchase it.

Don't feel too bad. It's the same deal for Americans who are traveling to Europe on the weak dollar.

I hope you'll get a chance to return to Jamaica soon.

I personally wouldn't let the resort credits or lack of them be the reason that kept me away. The one constant that keeps us returning to Couples is the warm and welcoming staff, and that's a "resort credit" that never expires; and it simply can't be found anyplace else.

ETF

I think Randymon has the ability to create incentives for the vacationing public. Give him some time to conjure up something that will move the UK market.

ETP I agree with you we are hopefully going to book in August for another 2 week trip to CTI (april 2010) we are going to take advantage of Vrigin's early booking discount, We have been to CN in Nov 2008 and also CTI (or COR) as it was then in Nov 2006, we love couples and cannot really faultit although I do believe that Next Aprils holiay could well be our last for a while as we to have noticed how expensive it is getting to go there.
    But at the end of the day you only get what you pay for.
    I really hope you manage to find a really good deal and manage to return one day

Default London Calling

Thank you for your post, the cost difference is predominantly in the exchange rate. For 2009 all operators had bought forward at a very positive rate against the dollar when it was approximately $2 to the UK Pound. Buying forward for 2010 they would have been positioned at $1.4 to $1.5 to the UK Pound. Either way there is a difference of approx 25% on the dollar content of 2010 vacations from the UK, this includes the accommodation, aircraft fuel and departure tax elements of the vacation. Prices have gone up, unfortunately this is a fact of life with exchange rates and oil prices but I can assure you that Couples Resorts prices have not increased from Europe for 2010 and we still remain very competitive and terrific value for money against our competitors.
    Our number in the UK for all Guests wishing to talk to us on this or any other matter is 01582 794 420. We look forward to hearing from you soon..!
    Emma Locke - Sales Manager Europe
    Emma - Couples Resorts London Office

Quote Originally Posted by London Office View Post
    Thank you for your post, the cost difference is predominantly in the exchange rate. For 2009 all operators had bought forward at a very positive rate against the dollar when it was approximately $2 to the UK Pound. Buying forward for 2010 they would have been positioned at $1.4 to $1.5 to the UK Pound. Either way there is a difference of approx 25% on the dollar content of 2010 vacations from the UK, this includes the accommodation, aircraft fuel and departure tax elements of the vacation. Prices have gone up, unfortunately this is a fact of life with exchange rates and oil prices but I can assure you that Couples Resorts prices have not increased from Europe for 2010 and we still remain very competitive and terrific value for money against our competitors.
    Our number in the UK for all Guests wishing to talk to us on this or any other matter is 01582 794 420. We look forward to hearing from you soon..!
    Emma Locke - Sales Manager Europe

Thank you for your reply Emma. With the exchange rate so bad and costs going up so much, how about trying to twist Randymons arm into boosting the sales to the UK with a simular Credit insentive as that offered to the American market. It may not bring the price of the holiday down, but it would sweeten the pot for those that are thinking of booking.

ETF