Default Marriage papers Question

Im planning on having my wedding at the Negril resort in October and would like to go with the complimentary package since it will just be him and I, but I was wondering (I hope this isnt a stupid question) if I am already legally married to him do I still need to pay the $200 for the government and license fees? Would I still be able to get the complimentary package if I dont get married on paper at the resort?

The problem you're going to have with that is if you are already legally married, the resort will not marry you. Well I should say that the resort minister won't marry you if you're already married. They'll instead let you do a vow renewal if you would like which still has a $150 fee but they're pretty strict about that policy.

Since you are already legally married, wouldn't you be doing a vow renewal??

I think you would be doing a vow renewal not a marriage.

Okay, I'm officially confused. If the two of you are already legally married, you can't marry again. You can renew your vows, but only unmarried people can enter into a marriage. You don't have to marry in every country you visit (in fact, you can't) in order for your marriage to be recognized in that country. I noticed from your profile that you're from Pennsylvania. Assuming that you married there and your marriage is legal and binding in Pennsylvania (e.g., you are both of marriageable age, neither of you is married to anyone else, etc.), then your marriage is valid and recognized everywhere.

If you are already married and want to renew your vows, no license is necessary b/c vow renewals have no legal significance. The cost for a vow renewal ceremony is $150.

Does that answer your question, or am I missing something?
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Since you are already legally married, you will be renewing your vows, which costs $150.... http://couples.com/weddings/07-vowrenewals.htm

O ok, Ive never seen nor met any who's done a vow renewal so I didnt really know what it was, nor was I ever curious in finding out. I figured if you're married on paper but haven't had a wedding yet that it would be still considered a wedding. Thank You all for clarifying that for me.....I feel silly now for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    . . . .I figured if you're married on paper but haven't had a wedding yet that it would be still considered a wedding . . . .
    A ceremony in which two people wed is a wedding. I really don't understand what you mean by being married "on paper." You're either married or you're not. If you obtained a marriage license and exchanged vows before an officiant (minister, judge, or other person vested with the legal authority to unite people in marriage), you're married. Your marriage certificate is evidence of your marriage; the form of your wedding ceremony (e.g., simple appearance before a judge or a big elaborate wedding) doesn't change the validity of your marriage or its legal impact. People who go to city hall and marry in blue jeans are just as married as people who arrive at a cathedral in a horse-drawn carriage in a $10,000 Vera Wang gown and an Armani tuxdeo.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I don't think there's any reason for anyone to be rude about it. She asked a question, give and answer and let it go. Lecturing her on what is considered a "marriage" is hardly necessary. I'm sure she understands just fine. This is a place to help people, no question is a stupid one, if you're not going to help than just leave it alone. And she said they hadn't had a wedding, not a marriage. Not sure where you guys come from but I know several people who have been in the military and have had to get married for living purposes and had a ceremony at a later date, it's not that uncommon. I'm sure it's very discouraging to other brides to get on for help when they get talked down to, not necessary at all.

I didn't interpret Pamela's posts as rude or condescending. The original poster still seemed confused about what constituted "a wedding" after her initial response.

Actually, I think it's nice that there's an attorney on the MB who can answer legal questions when they arise, especially on marriage questions (e.g., do I need to register my marriage, are Jamaican marriages legal in the U.S., etc.), which frequently appear on the MB.

O ok, Ive never seen nor met any who's done a vow renewal so I didnt really know what it was, nor was I ever curious in finding out. I figured if you're married on paper but haven't had a wedding yet that it would be still considered a wedding. Thank You all for clarifying that for me.....I feel silly now for asking.
    Don't feel silly. It's a valid question. Friends of our have been married for 10 years, but will be having the "Sunset Wedding" to renew their vows in November. It's s a ceremony to reaffirm your love for each other.

I always wanted to get married on the beach, but we had a church wedding. When we renew our vows in 2011, I will get my wedding on the beach.... Technically a renewal, but a wedding in my heart, as I get to marry my husband all over again.

...Thank You all for clarifying that for me.....I feel silly now for asking.
    I'm pretty sure that means she understands...don't really see how she still comes across confused after her initial post but ok....?