Thread: Tipping

Default Tipping

Okay, I know this has been discussed and sorry for the repeat but this will be our second time to CSS (we are leaving Saturday!!!!) and we did tip last time and after reading the MB realize that we were wrong in doing so. We don't want to get anyone in trouble by giving monetary tips. But these people were so darn hard in the heat and they are still so happy and always have a smile on their faces for all the guests. God Bless them for making our vacations so wonderful! We would like to give them something. Now I heard chocolate, which we will bring but I also heard advil, tylenol maybe? Crayons, clothes for little ones? Is this good? And when you are in one of the restaurants how do you go about tipping them gifts? Sorry if I sound ignorant but all of the workers at CSS are so wonderful I just want to do this right. Can anyone help us (silly question I know), but your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

This is a common question, and one that has, as you suggest, been addressed again and again.

No tipping means just that. No tipping. The staff members who accepted tips on your last go-round took a chance on you.

The very best thing you can do for any individual staff member is to make note of their name and where they work.

Then, on the day BEFORE you leave, go to the check-in desk of your resort and ask for a customer satisfaction survey. Spend the time to express your appreciation for staff members on the survey... mention them by name... add a note about what it was that they did to make your stay special. If you need additional space, use a additional note paper.

These survey comments DO make a difference!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Do the right thing by not tipping them. Instead, write down their names on the comment card. Tell them you intednd to do this and see the smile get bigger.... WAY more value to them than a token pack of chocolate...

It's been said before that tips received, i.e. taken from your hands by staff, are to be turned into the front desk and reported. It's very likely they didn't even benefit from your act. If you want to make sure they are rewarded, mention them on your comment card when you check out. They really do make a difference to the employee's pocket book, long-term, instead of giving them a big risk for a small short-term gain.

We have a freind of ours that always brings gifts to give or leave for the staff when she checks out. She brings school supplies, creams and lotions, toys, etc. mostly school supplies and toys for the children, like coloring books and crayons. But she is very careful to be sure to leave a note with each gift.

Additionally I know that she fills out the comment cards as we do. There was one trip to CN a couple of years ago, the towel attendent was a trainee and when I was telling him good bye and wishing him good luck in getting a permanent position he said thank you and if I was pleased with his work could I be sure to note that on my comments card. Which I did, sadly it was two years before we were able to return and I could not remember his name to ask after him (I am really, really bad with names) and I did not see him (faces I am much better with).

Please do the right thing, fill out your comment card.

Right or wrong, in addition to making notes of their names on comment cards, we ususally bring gifts for them (bath and body type lotions for the room cleaners and females and local sports gear-hats,shirts- for the guys). When we give it to them, we also always give them a note stating the item, our name and room number and that it was for them to keep for great service and appreciation. We also usually did the last day we were there or the last day that person would be working before we left.

No tips mon! My wife works at a hospital and can buy over the counter meds really cheap so we usually load up, particularly with childrens meds and the staff really apreciates haveing them as they are really expensive in JA. We also take a lot of chocolate and they love that to. Dont forget to try to remember everyones name so you can name them on the check out form.

ROCO

One more note about tipping.

Tipping is allowed, and I might add, expected for certain non-Couples personnel.

This begins and ends with the baggage stewards and skycaps at the airport. A couple bucks per bag is typical.

The bus drivers to and from the airport do NOT work for Couples. The ride to Negril from MoBay is roughly 70 miles. Tip accordingly.

Spa and salon staff are NOT direct Couples employees; they are contract, and I would suggest tipping for their services as you would at home. Tipping for these folks can't be included from any spa credit you may have. (Note: The masseusses at SweptAway's spa can turn a coconut into banana pudding... they are THAT good!)

It is appropriate to tip the strolling beach musicians, and a good idea to tip the crew on the Catamaran Cruise. None of these folks are Couples employees.
    Chris

We always donate the books we brought and finished reading to Customer Relations with a request they be provided to the staff.

We always try to write down the names of staff who are especially helpful each day -- hard b/c there are so many. And then include them on the comment cards.

I wish I had known about the Cat Cruise tipping. Because it was a free trip provided by the resort, we had no clue that it was not part of Couples. So when we all got off, they're standing there with a box wanting tips and we had nothing to give them. Plus you can't really take much on the trip, no bags or anything, and you go swimming. So putting your money somewhere is sometime difficult. But I would have found a way, probably.

I certainly don't mind tipping the bus driver, porters, etc., However, we had an incident where our baggage guy expected the money and stood in front of us, waiting to be paid. Then he would count how much you gave him (he expected two bucks per bag) and if you didn't give him the amount he wanted, he asked for more. We had two bags, so we tipped him a five and it was no big deal, but I saw a slight confrontation with another couple that was uncomfortable.
    While dining at 8 rivers at CTI a Russian couple next to us put a $5 under his drinking glass. I was furious, and I had posted about this before, because I wasn't tipping because I thought that was rule. And then this guy goes and does it, and then I had a horrible feeling that I was in the "wrong" even though it says "no tipping."
    It slightly irritated me.
    Last edited by Couples Resorts; January 27th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sblovin View Post
    I wish I had known about the Cat Cruise tipping. Because it was a free trip provided by the resort, we had no clue that it was not part of Couples. So when we all got off, they're standing there with a box wanting tips and we had nothing to give them. Plus you can't really take much on the trip, no bags or anything, and you go swimming. So putting your money somewhere is sometime difficult. But I would have found a way, probably.

I certainly don't mind tipping the bus driver, porters, etc., However, we had an incident where our baggage guy expected the money and stood in front of us, waiting to be paid. Then he would count how much you gave him (he expected two bucks per bag) and if you didn't give him the amount he wanted, he asked for more. We had two bags, so we tipped him a five and it was no big deal, but I saw a slight confrontation with another couple that was uncomfortable.
    While dining at 8 rivers at CTI a Russian couple next to us put a $5 under his drinking glass. I was furious, and I had posted about this before, because I wasn't tipping because I thought that was rule. And then this guy goes and does it, and then I had a horrible feeling that I was in the "wrong" even though it says "no tipping."
    It slightly irritated me.
    We had an issue with a porter at the airport as well...not really confrontational, but he made a point of letting us know that we HAD to tip him. He stopped before putting our luggage in the van and said "I'm loading your luggage and you have to tip me because that is how I make a living" Now I know that is how he makes a living and we fully intended on tipping and did give $5 for 2 bags, so it wasn't an issue, it was just the way it was approached.

I think all the porters we've had at the airport are the same way. I can sort of, kind of see their point - they do this all day for people on their way to places where they won't be tipping. But still. They're very aggressive about how they handling "tipping." My husband tipped a guy once and then the other guy, who wasn't handling our bags, hassled him about a tip for himself when he hadn't even handled our bags. We've come to expect it by now at the airport, though.

I read sblovin's post as saying that the baggage guy in question was at Couples - an employee. I really hope not - that would be disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineChick View Post
    I read sblovin's post as saying that the baggage guy in question was at Couples - an employee. I really hope not - that would be disappointing.
    I re-read their post and I don't see where they said it was a Couples employee. I doubt it was as they all know the rules very well and would'nt jeopardize losing a job over a couple dollars. We have never had one person in all these years even hint at a tip. If it did happen, someone else is probably working there now.

Default Couples baggage guys...

Have always (3 times, 3 Couples) expected a tip--both coming and leaving. I've felt very pressured every time to give a tip and have given in but was rather p.o.'d about it. Then I realize where I am and get over myself...but am still mad because every the other hard workers at the resorts do not get monetary tips.

Well put, landj...

Its really not fair to assume that just because you're in a lesser developed country, that those who participate in the same roles there shouldn't be treated they would be here. If a baggage porter or skycap here mules your luggage from your car to checkin... you tip him... its a sign of respect for this person's contribution to the economy, and moreso on the island.

Admittedly, the porters at the airport can be a bit "in your face", and perhaps a bit heavy handed... and this is inappropriate on their part. One of the funnier things I've seen (last May) was a more gregarious porter who seemed to "organize", if you will, and led the parade to our bus, then took it on himself to be the "collector", if you will, of the tips... sort of a union organizer, I guess.

All the same, I agree... we need to get over ourselves. Provide the tip to the airport porters, express your gratitude with a thank you, a smile, and a handshake...
    Chris

I think, if you have a problem with "in your face" porters at the A/P ,Just keep your bags in hand and go.

Quote Originally Posted by landj View Post
    Have always (3 times, 3 Couples) expected a tip--both coming and leaving. I've felt very pressured every time to give a tip and have given in but was rather p.o.'d about it. Then I realize where I am and get over myself...but am still mad because every the other hard workers at the resorts do not get monetary tips.
    We have been to CTI 3 times and no time with any of the bellman have felt the they wanted a tip. They have always gone above and beyond with their service. Hats off to Byron, Kirk, Evard. They are the best and always welcome us home.

The only time we have tipped on Couples property, beside shuttle driver is the cat cruise crew and the spa.
    Vicky