Hybrid View

Default CN in June. Newbie w/lots of questions

Hello everyone!

First, let me say that this board has provided me with some very valuable information. However there are still some questions I would like answered, if you don't mind.

We are supposed to be travelling to CN in June for a wedding (still looking for a great deal) so we're new to Couples and new to Jamaica. Ok, here goes....

1)Regarding the Couples Lounge in the airport: Typically how long is the wait for transportation? Is it like Mexico where you sometimes have to wait for other planes to arrive before departing? Also, I read that the Lounge serves drinks, so I'm wondering what kind of selection they have and the average cost per drink? Also, can we tip the bartender there AND the bus driver?

2)I read that Lobster is only in season from July-March, so I'm curious if instead of 'Lobster Friday' there is a replacement of maybe a different kind of seafood?

3)I viewed the sample activities list and WOW....something for everyone all of the time. I'm interested in some of the cultural crafts like hat making, tye dye, basket weaving and jewelry making classes. Are these crafts included in the resort cost? If not, what is the average cost for say, Tye Dye? I would LOVE to bring plain T-shirts from home and make one for each of my kids as souveniers. Are we allowed to do that?

4)Does the resort offer waverunner or jet skis and about how much to rent?

5)Ok, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I assume it's not acceptable, but I'm going to ask anyway ::blush::. Bubba Kegs (fancy name for an insulated mug), do people bring them to Couples? I'm not talking about the huge ones or anything, just the 20oz. We like to each bring one because the drinks just melt and get warm so fast, as we're not guzzlers. Also, after every couple of drinks, I like to fill up my keg with ice water and add a packet of Crystal Light Pink Lemondade

6)Is there a Doctor on site?

7)Travelling with a couple of elderly folks and a man who just recently had a kidney transplant, so I need to know where the nearest hospital is located?

Thank you all for your patience in answering my silly questions. It's much appreciated.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by DanaA View Post
    Hello everyone!

First, let me say that this board has provided me with some very valuable information. However there are still some questions I would like answered, if you don't mind.

We are supposed to be travelling to CN in June for a wedding (still looking for a great deal) so we're new to Couples and new to Jamaica. Ok, here goes....

1)Regarding the Couples Lounge in the airport: Typically how long is the wait for transportation? 15 minutes Is it like Mexico where you sometimes have to wait for other planes to arrive before departing? No Also, I read that the Lounge serves drinks, so I'm wondering what kind of selection they have and the average cost per drink? All drinks from here on out are free. They have beer and soda...maybe wine. Also, can we tip the bartender there AND the bus driver? Tip the bus driver, but not the bartender

2)I read that Lobster is only in season from July-March, so I'm curious if instead of 'Lobster Friday' there is a replacement of maybe a different kind of seafood? They always have more types of seafood than you can imagine

3)I viewed the sample activities list and WOW....something for everyone all of the time. I'm interested in some of the cultural crafts like hat making, tye dye, basket weaving and jewelry making classes. Are these crafts included in the resort cost? If not, what is the average cost for say, Tye Dye? Tie Dye is $7 per shirt for the ink. You can use your own shirt or they will give you one included in the $7 I would LOVE to bring plain T-shirts from home and make one for each of my kids as souveniers. Are we allowed to do that? You bet. Or you can buy a logo one from the gift shop for 8-10$ US

4)Does the resort offer waverunner or jet skis and about how much to rent? No, the resort does not offer jet skis. You can rent them from the guys cruising around near the resort, just past the swimming area. The cost is highly negotiable, but I'd expect to pay $50 US per hour.

5)Ok, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I assume it's not acceptable, but I'm going to ask anyway ::blush::. Bubba Kegs (fancy name for an insulated mug), do people bring them to Couples? I'm not talking about the huge ones or anything, just the 20oz. We like to each bring one because the drinks just melt and get warm so fast, as we're not guzzlers. Also, after every couple of drinks, I like to fill up my keg with ice water and add a packet of Crystal Light Pink Lemondade It is against Couples policy for bartenders to pour drinks into these containers.

6)Is there a Doctor on site? No, but there is a nurse. I saw the nurse at CTI last week and she called the doctor who came to the resort for me.

7)Travelling with a couple of elderly folks and a man who just recently had a kidney transplant, so I need to know where the nearest hospital is located? Not sure, but not more than an hour away.

Thank you all for your patience in answering my silly questions. It's much appreciated.

Dana
    See the answers in red above.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Newbie Dana - We became CN "vetrans" as of 2008 (it was our second visit) and are returning again in only 80 days. I can answer almost all of your questions:
    1) We have never waited much longer than it takes to down one quick Red Stripe and take a quick pee at the Couples Lounge before heading out to our shuttle. The drinks at the lounge are free - it's kinda like the lounge is already considered the start of your AI vacay. I believe the bartenders there are "official: Couples employees and as such are not "suppose to" be tipped. The gentlemen who bring your bags out to your shuttle are not couples employees, so tipping is appreciated. I've read on the MB that most people tip them $1 to $2 per bag - my hubby and I only travel to CN with 1 bag each, but have always just given them a $5. We also tip the driver a couple bucks once we arrive at our destination.

2) You are correct, lobster is out of season from April to June. We have only gone during these months, so have never gotten to indulge in their "famous" lobster nights. However, there are lots of other seafood and options available at all the resturants, including shrimp. They also serve-up steaks and prime rib as well. You will not be disappointed in any of the food options, they are all extremely delish.

3) I have only participated in the tye dye activity, and I highly recommend it! The lady who comes in to do it is not a Couples employee, but it is technically an "included" activity, so does not cost you anything other than buying items from the women to dye. I did give her a generous a tip though, cause I only dyed items brought from home. Which answers your other question, yes, you can bring items along with you to be dyed instead of purchasing the women's items. I bring along white t-shirts to dye and bring home for my two little boys, and on our last trip I brought some baby onsies along to dye as well as I had a few friends/family expecting - they all LOVED getting them as baby/shower gifts! When bringing item(s) from home, make sure they are 100% cotton, as other, man-made materials do not hold the dyes.

4) Water sports included in your stay include wakeboarding, water skiing, snorkeling, diving, Hobie Cats, kayaks and canoes, but no jet skis or wave runners. There are plenty of locals who cruise around the swimming area offering rental of their jet skis and runners though. I've never done it so don't know how much they charge.

5) We bring our own insulated mugs and mug koozies along, but DO NOT ask the bartending staff to fill your own mugs - they are not allowed. We would simply pour our drinks from the cups they serve them in into our mugs. No problems.

6) I believe there is only a nurse on site, but no doctor. I would suggest calling Couples directly to find out for certain though, especially if you have specific medical concerns/needs. Same thing for #7, I would believe there is a hospital located somewhere in Negril, but would call to confirm.

Hope my info helps you. Just a warning, you will be completely hooked once you stay at CN, we took our 1st trip in 2006 and have been back every other year since - NO OTHER AI compares to Couples, they rock!

Quote Originally Posted by IrieDreaming View Post
    You are correct, lobster is out of season from April to June. We have only gone during these months, so have never gotten to indulge in their "famous" lobster nights. However, there are lots of other seafood and options available at all the resturants, including shrimp. They also serve-up steaks and prime rib as well. You will not be disappointed in any of the food options, they are all extremely delish.
    We've also booked our CTI/CN vacation in April, so like you, we'll be SOL with the lobster meals as well. Now we could have easily moved up our trip by a couple of weeks and that would have resulted some tasty Jamaican lobster. But our trip would have cost almost $1,000 more. That's some pricy lobster!

Yet we still don't want to feel left out of this delectable crustacean funfest. So the week of our departure, we'll make a pilgramage to our local Marmalade Cafe, where they serve a complete lobster dinner every Tuesday for $26.00 per person. It will be the R&R25 version of having our cake and eating it too.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Thank you both so much for the information!