Default Jamaican Beef Patty Recipe

Anyone got one? I loved the ones at CSA. Curious what kinda spices and such to put in.

I would love some tips, as well...ty!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Default Recipe

Aaron McCargo Jr. (Big Daddy's House) on the food network made some on his cooking show! I tried out the recipe the same day! they tasted just like Jamaican beef patties with a slightly different texture:

Cook and let cool:

1 # of ground beef, 1 diced onion, tblspn chopped garlic, tsp paprika, tsp thyme, tsp pepper, tsp salt, tsp finely diced jalpeno, half cup of bread crumbs, half cup beef broth (I would suggest the low sodium brands otherwise can be too salty)

pilsbury cresent rolls. Roll out triangles and slightly flatten (you can put two triangles together also)! (Aaron used storebought pie crust, I did not!)

put a tblspoon of cooled meat mixture filling in the center of each triangle

pinch closed with a fork

brush egg wash (make with teaspoon curry powder, quarter cup of water, and 1 egg) over the bop of each stuffed cresent

bake on parchment paper 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top!

Hope this helps!
    Glenda

Google "Jamaican beef patty recipe" and you'll find several. We've tried making them at home without a whole lot of success. We can get the meat to taste almost the same, but it's not the same texture. And we have yet to get the dough even close. If anyone has any tricks we'd like to hear them as well. We gave up and now drive to 1 of 2 Jamaican places here in town when we're craving beef patties. They make them just like in Jamaica.

There is a Jamaican place in Baton Rouge called Ronnies Ribs and I just started buying in bulk from them. I made a few but none came out perfect.

ty Glenda!

CSS 2010
    CN 2011

A couple tricks I found that may (or may not) help:

With the filling, if you add the water or broth early in the browning stage, you can get a pastier texture rather than big crumbles, which makes it easier to fill and/or spread. Add the bread crumbs last and drain well before filling.

With the crust, don't overwork the dough. Cut the butter (or shortening or lard if you're feeling decadent) into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter (or two knives, or fingertips if you can work fast to avoid heating the butter too much) and add just enough water so that it'll hold together. It'll look funny, and you'll be tempted to add more water: don't. My recipe calls for 2 cups of flour, and I use about 1/3 cup of water. It should end up looking like a drier, stiffer, uglier pie dough crust.

Form a log and cut into the desired number of portions (mine makes 10(. Roll it out only once. If do it between a piece of parchment paper and a piece of Saran Wrap, you won't have any sticking problems, and you can get it nice and thin. (That last trick works great for pizza, too. I know purists say you shouldn't roll the dough, but I haven't gotten the trick of spinning or shaping by hand yet).

Most of the recipes call for curry powder. You may want to avoid the stuff you find in the grocery store. You can make your own if you want to experiment with the different flavors involved, but if you don't have a full spice cabinet, you can find very good curry blends in ethnic markets, gourmet shops or online.

Oh, and if you're using scotch bonnets (or habanero is a good substitute), wear gloves. I had an incident with a milder pepper a few years ago, and let me tell you, keeping a box of surgical gloves in the kitchen is far preferable to that alternative.

Crust

1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
    1 cup(s) whole-wheat pastry flour
    1 teaspoon(s) ground turmeric
    3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
    1/4 teaspoon(s) baking powder
    4 tablespoon(s) cold unsalted butter
    5 tablespoon(s) canola oil
    1/3 cup(s) ice water
    1 large egg yolk

Filling

8 ounce(s) 93%-lean ground beef
    1 bunch(es) scallions, minced
    1 teaspoon(s) minced Scotch bonnet chile pepper to taste
    1/4 cup(s) fine dry breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup(s) water or beef base
    1/4 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon(s) ground turmeric
    1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    1/4 teaspoon corn starch
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

1.To prepare crust: Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and quickly rub them into the dry ingredients with your fingers until smaller but still visible. Add oil and toss with a fork to combine. Whisk water and egg yolk in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and stir until the dough begins to come together. Knead in the bowl a few times until it forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
    2.To prepare filling: Cook ground beef, scallions, and chile pepper in a medium skillet over medium heat, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs, water,soy sauce,corn starch, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; mix well. Let cool.
    3.Preheat oven to 400F.
    4.To make patties: Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. On a well-floured surface, roll each piece into a 6-inch circle about 3/8 inch thick. Trim the edges to make an even circle (you might have a bowl the right size to use as a guide). Put about 1/4 cup filling on half of the dough, leaving about a 1/4-inch border. Fold the dough over the filling to make a half-moon shape and crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Place on a large baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Bake the patties until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.

Thank you so much!

CSS 2010
    CN 2011

When eating patties in Jamaica I am always certain that I am tasting curry as one of the major spices. I know curry is used in the patties at 3 Dives and some of the roadside places. I would look for a recipe the includes curry, or add some curry to one of the recipes here for a more Jamaican Patty taste.

I'm not trying to sound pedantic, but curry is not one single spice. It's a combination of spices from India. Yes, you're tasting curry in the patties. Sometimes it's in the dough, sometimes it's in the meat, sometimes both. Curry came to Jamaica through colonization. The main spices therein are turmeric, coriander and fenugreek. Then depending on the region, you've got some sweet spices like cloves, ginger, cardamom...