Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default No Lobster in May??? OMG!!!!

I just saw that lobster is not served in May at CN!!!

We love lobster and although this is not a deal breaker is there times that Couples has extended the lobster dinner??

If not would there be another place nearby we could purchase lobster dinners??

Doug and Sue Anne

Lobster is out of season in May. If a restaurant/resort in Jamaica is serving lobster in May, they have either frozen it during season (legal but not nearly as tasty) or are catching and serving it fresh during the off-season. (not legal and environmentally very bad...) either way, I would resign yourself to not having lobster in May.

Honestly, it's not that big a deal and they have lots and lots of other seafood to make up for it. We visit in May and October, and while the Lobster night is nice in October, it's really not a deal breaker. I promise.

It is breeding season, that's why lobster is off.

We are visiting CSA in June, for the fourth time. Mrs. dirtleg is a lobster nut, but we have not missed it in our previous trips. There is so much other food to choose from the it was not a big deal for us at all. We hope to visit someday when lobster will be available, but till then... It's all good!

Just do what we're gonna do. We'll have a nice lobster dinner at a local restaurant a few days before we depart in April. It's kind of a funky way of having our cake and eating it too.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

We will be at CSA in May. I to was really looking forward to having fresh caught lobster. Oh well maybe on the next trip.

I seem to recall that last year, the regulations protecting lobsters during breeding season were extended to include a prohibition on "stock-piling" lobsters in coldfreeze...

In any case, don't let the lack of lobster put a damper on your stay. It'll be wonderful... besides, the warm water lobster that is available on the island is not nearly as good as the cold water varieties. Don't get me wrong, the kitchens at SweptAway do a great job of their lobster recipes and they are oh... so good! Its just very different and a bit mushier than cold water lobster.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

That's a good idea Ron.....oh well....what about crablegs???

I'm sure we will be fine without the water bugs.

Thanks everyone!!

Doug and Sue Anne

Quote Originally Posted by dougnsueanne View Post
    I just saw that lobster is not served in May at CN!!!

We love lobster and although this is not a deal breaker is there times that Couples has extended the lobster dinner??

If not would there be another place nearby we could purchase lobster dinners??

Doug and Sue Anne
    ....I think this applies to the entire island of Jamaica. No lobster between April and July

dougnsueanne...

I asked that once... this is also the time when crabs lay their eggs, but, of course, they lay THEIR eggs up on the shore... this is why people encounter them at night. My very first impression of the Norman Manley was how MANY crab roadkill carcasses there were on the road! It was carnage! Back then, the crabs would make their way across the road to the marshes, I guess... with devastating results.

One would think that these critters would be easy pickin's as a substitute for lobster. When I asked a local about it, he looked at me and shuttered. I don't know if its a cultural thing or if they just aren't good eating.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

You are right Chris, you can't even stock pile it or use frozen during that period. There were a lot of resorts that were buying it in anyway, freezing it and claiming that they had it left from previous season. If I remember the conversation correctly during the repeaters dinner last year Karen was saying that the authorities can do inspections of the resorts to be sure everyone is complying.

Our last 4 trips to Couples have been in April so we missed the lobster. Somehow, we made do with all of the other wonderful choices of entrees. We are heading back "home" to CSA this April 9th. Year's back, we have gone in February & March and the lobster was wonderful!! The reason we have been going in April is that I found the price drops significantly after April 1st, both airlines & resorts. You can get a few lobster dinners back home for the $200-$300 you save.

Quote Originally Posted by rjammin View Post
    Our last 4 trips to Couples have been in April so we missed the lobster. Somehow, we made do with all of the other wonderful choices of entrees. We are heading back "home" to CSA this April 9th. Year's back, we have gone in February & March and the lobster was wonderful!! The reason we have been going in April is that I found the price drops significantly after April 1st, both airlines & resorts. You can get a few lobster dinners back home for the $200-$300 you save.
    Or in our case almost $1000. We're booked for 11 nites total, 7 in CTI and 4 in CN commencing this April 10th. The rate reduction for our rooms after the April 4th price change totaled $956. That's a LOT of lobster baby!!
    Ron

I will be staying at Couples Negril from Apr 24th-May 1st. I was really disappointed to find out lobster is not served during this time. I was reading about lobsters being grilled at the Office of Nature. I'm guessing, since lobsters are out of season in April, they will not be served at the Office of Nature either. Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnaroo View Post
    I will be staying at Couples Negril from Apr 24th-May 1st. I was really disappointed to find out lobster is not served during this time. I was reading about lobsters being grilled at the Office of Nature. I'm guessing, since lobsters are out of season in April, they will not be served at the Office of Nature either. Does anyone know?
    ....No lobster, island wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnaroo View Post
    Even if they are ( or in the west end) , any patronage of lobster meals during off season is sending the wrong message to the vendor. In the last 20years negril has experienced dramatic negative impact on its eco system in the name of "progress". Do as you wish during your holiday but please consider the bigger picture

We have been to Couples with lobster and without depending on our school break trips. Not a deal breaker for us. Its not like we can't ever get it at home. Live lobster is on sale regularly here for $5.99lb... like this weekend. Having two this evening for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by John from Jersey View Post
    We have been to Couples with lobster and without depending on our school break trips. Not a deal breaker for us. Its not like we can't ever get it at home. Live lobster is on sale regularly here for $5.99lb... like this weekend. Having two this evening for dinner.
    Wow, that's a great price. Out here in SoCal, the best price I've ever seen for Maine lobster is $6.99lb, and that's been like once or twice in 20some years. The going rate for a sale out here almost never falls below $7.99, and you hardly ever see even that.

Now back to this silly no lobster discussion. Good grief, please don't tell me there are people out there whose vacations to Jamaica are actually based on there being lobster, or that if they learn it's not available during the offseason, their trip will be severely diminished? There's going to be so much outstanding food during this period, so what if there's no lobster then.

Like I stated a few spots back in this thread - buy a friggin lobster dinner just before you leave. This way you had your tasty crustacean, plus you saved some $$$ by booking your trip after the April 4th price cutoff.
    Ron

Here is what I find funny sometimes is the people that do get the lobster and then complain that it is not the same as what they get at home. Not realizing the difference between the Maine lobster most are use to i.e. Red Lobster and Spiny Lobster.

Do they still serve lobster bisque in the off season? (please say yes)

Quote Originally Posted by John from Jersey View Post
    john where in nj?
    i am in monmouth beach, right along the jersey shore so grabbing them literally off the boat at a local co-op is one perk of my proximity to the fisher people lol...

Lobster Bisque and no Lobster mentioned in the same thread. I can't let it go by because all I can think about are the 2 related Seinfeld episodes....the Yadda Yadda episode where Elaine "Yadda Yadda-ed over the best part" and then said, "No I mentioned the Bisque" and the one where Kramer got arrested at the beach house for trapping the lobsters out fo season. I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but man those were funny episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Here is what I find funny sometimes is the people that do get the lobster and then complain that it is not the same as what they get at home. Not realizing the difference between the Maine lobster most are use to i.e. Red Lobster and Spiny Lobster.
    Being from Florida myself, i will admit to being partial to the Spiny (or as we call it here Florida) Lobster. I think it's particularly yummy. Especially in August when it's freshly in season an relatively cheap!!

Quote Originally Posted by gopanthers View Post
    Lobster Bisque and no Lobster mentioned in the same thread. I can't let it go by because all I can think about are the 2 related Seinfeld episodes....the Yadda Yadda episode where Elaine "Yadda Yadda-ed over the best part" and then said, "No I mentioned the Bisque" and the one where Kramer got arrested at the beach house for trapping the lobsters out fo season. I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but man those were funny episodes.
    Don't get me started on funny Seinfeld episodes.....
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by desireduo View Post
    john where in nj?
    i am in monmouth beach, right along the jersey shore lol...
    Bergen County where I can almost see Giants Stadium if I walk up hill a couple more blocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast