Thread: What to wear?

Default What to wear?

My husband and I are going to CN (for our first time) in less than four weeks. We both badly need clothes to take on our trip.
    What are some examples of clothing you pack for the trip? Where is your favorite place to shop for vacation clothes? We dont want to spend a ton of money. Thanks a bunch
    1st time to Jamaica!
    ******CN June 2011*****

Did I miss a reply becasue I wanting the same information

You will spend all day in your swimwear so pack several swim suits for both of you, they won't dry overnight due to humidity so you'll want at least three for each of you. Also cover-ups for her and t-shirts for him to wear at lunch time, swimwear is acceptable in the restaurants with a cover-up or shirt and footwear.

Since you'll be in your swimwear all day evening clothes are only worn for a couple hours and can be re-worn. Hubby can mix and match shorts and shirts to save on numbers of items needed. One pair of pants will be needed if you want to consider eating in the reservation required restaurants otherwise shorts are fine. Shirts can be hawaiian type or golf/polo style. For the wife some lightweight summer dresses or capris with nice tops and again mix and match if you go this route. Try bringing only a couple pair of shoes that go with everything to save on packing space, most people find they way overpack.

My favorite place to shop is wherever there is a sale...not being flippant. I just shop through the year and anytime I find something on sale that shouts "perfect for Jamaica" I snag it up. Since it's summer you will have plenty of choices but probably fewer sales. With only four weeks to go I wouldn't try online unless you have really good luck with sizes, head to your local mall or whatever stores you find you like. Have fun shopping though.

We went to CN last June. I found I way over packed! Basically during the day you will be in your swimsuit with a cover up except if you go on any off site excursions. You will need a couple pair of shorts and shirts and sun dresses or capris for dinner. Take one nice pair of sandals to wear to dinner and flips flops and you're set! You might bring some type of shawl or wrap because air-conditioned restaurants get chilly. Guys will need swimsuits, t-shirts, a pair of slacks, nice shirt and closed toe shoes for dinner at Otaheite. The other restaurants, guys can wear shorts/shirts and sandals.

Have a great trip! You're going to love it!!

Hi all... Just a quick bit of advice... pack lightly. Bring swimwear and cover-ups ie sarongs, for during the day. A couple of pairs of shorts and T-shirts will be enough for times you are not on the beach. And also some nice clothes for evening time. Plenty of sunblock and something to read while sunning yourself on the beach. Your husbands should bring a pair of nice, lightweight trousers for the fancy restaurant and a shirt with a sleeve (or two... lol) and a pair of shoes... Buy natural fabrics. ie cotton. These are cooler to wear. oh nearly forgot. bug spray for the evening time mostly. Now go pack and have fun. You will love it there.... We have 7 weeks to go... the waiting is soooo hard...

I'm packing 3 beach cover ups, 4 sundresses/maxi dresses, 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of jeans (which I highly doubt I'll wear), pjs (shorts and tank tops), lingerie (honeymoon!), 2 pairs of flip flopss, 1 pair of tan wedges (matches everything and I can wear them to the nicer dinners, 2 beach hats, 1 zip up hoodie, tennis shoes, 1 beach bag...

My fiance is packing 2 bathing suits, 3-4 white tshirts, 3 collared shirts, 3 button up shirts (for dinners), linen pants, 1 pair of boat shoes (again for dinner), 2 pairs of flip flops, boxers, running shorts, a couple workout shorts, tennis shoes, 1 baseball hat....

I think thats the basics of what we're bringing. We'll be at CSA for 8 days/7 nights...

As far as favorite places that aren't expensive, I shop at Forever 21, Charlotte Rousse, Target, TJ MAxx & Marshalls for cute summer/beach clothes.... I shopped at Victoria Secret & Delias (online) for quite a few dresses, pjs and things for this trip (but that can be more expensive)...
    Danielle & Mike
    ----> Honeymooned at CSA June '11!
    --------> Really can't wait to be "home" again!

This will be our first Couples trip, but we've been to Jamaica several times. It depends on your planned excursions and what you would like to do at the resort. We spend time on the au natural beach, so for weeks stay, we usually bring only three swimsuits/trunks. I bring 7-10 pairs of shorts and tops, 7 dresses for dinner. I stick primarily to causal dresses. I am a shoe fanatic, so I bring numerous flip flops, sandals, and 1 or 2 pairs of dress sandals for the evening. I try not to do anything that requires tennis shoes/sneakers, but if you are planning an activity that requires those, be sure to bring them. John brings 7-10 pairs of shorts, tropical type shirts, and T-shirts. I will be the first to admit this is excessive, but we manage to wear all most everything we bring.

One more comment...Victoria Secret online is a great place to find some nice beach dresses.....

Thankyou all so much! This is an excellent guideline to follow when I start shopping (and packing).
    1st time to Jamaica!
    ******CN June 2011*****

Oh my...after reading all of these....I REALLY overpack! We are leaving next week for 6 days and so far:
    me: 4 bikini's and cover ups, 5 pairs of flip flops, 1 pair of sneakers-that I will wear down, 3 pairs of evening high heeled sandals, 5 dresses, 2 pairs of shorts with shirts, 3 gym outfits and a few extra tank tops. I also plan to shop in the boutique for some beach hats etc. also the basic lingerie and don't forget they have laundry service with a QUICK turnaround!
    I havent started packing for my husband yet, but hes much easier
    Dee & J

Victoria's secret has these awesome snap front polo t-shirt dresses. They're great for throwing over your bathing suit or wearing to a less formal dinner. They are on sale for $29.50 right now. I own 5 or 6 of them and would not go on a beach vacation without them.

I have some sundresses that I can use as a cover up also. So I will wear to dinner, then use as a cover up a day or two later. Unless you are going horseback riding, leave jeans at home. Way to hot and humid to wear them. We wear our athletic shoes to travel so that helps with the weight of suitcases. Don't forget a hat for both of you. Be careful if use a visor and make sure that if your hair is parted, you use sunscreen on the part. I take some woolite or delicare to wash things out in the sink. If you get the salt and chlorine out of swimwear, they will dry more quickly.
    Vicky

I have a tendency to overpack - I like my options, and never know what I'm going to feel like wearing until I put it on, but am going to try to scale back this trip We stayed 14 nights last time, and are staying 10 nights this time.

I will be taking 2-3 dresses, 2 skirts, and 2-3 pair of shorts I can dress up. I pack several tops that I can mix and match, usually 3 tops per skirt and pair of shorts.

Your suit will take a few days to dry. You didn't mention how long you're staying, but I would recommend 4-5 suits for a week long trip. Also, 4-5 cover-ups for lunches.

I am going to pack much lighter on shoes this time. And I'm a shoe girl, so that's going to be hard! I will be bringing 1 pair of flipflops for the beach, 2 pair of dress sandals, and a pair of heels, though I don't know if I'll actually feel like putting them on

I workout, so will be packing multiple workout outfits, and wear my tennies on the plane. Also, I bring a light cardigan or 2 for the air conditioning, or if it's a little cool at night.

I get a lot of clothes at Old Navy, they have some really cute shorts right now for around $17 and have a lot of colors - and can be dressed up or down. I will be bringing the black and white pair to wear in Jamaica. Target has cute, affordable clothes, and I love NY & Company too.

I had posted about sundresses/maxi dresses and got some great ideas. I've ordered a few dresses from Victoria's Secret, as well as Venus, and got a few cute tanks from Body Central.

I am a chronic overpacker, and yet, I always seem to find something I forgot! This past trip, it was a lightweight, longish sleeve shirt/top/dress/coverup. I burn easy and my shoulders were toasted and I hadn't packed to prevent or react to that possibility. I have been shopping for a 3/4 sleeve tunic something, UPF material preferably to give me a little more coverage without a lot of weight.
    I always pack too many casual shorts, so I will be trying to do more sarongs next time. However, it is a good idea to have at least 1 pr of mid thigh/knee length shorts if you plan on doing adventure excursions (horseback, zipline, etc.). I try to make my gym capris do double duty for this purpose.

I just wish I could think about packing - I have to wait until February 2012!

Default Clothes/Packing

We do carry-on for 7-8 nights stay. Really try not to overpack.....we did it the first time and even again when we did carry on the first time. We get better and better at it each time. If you want to have "options" as many do then by all means go for it. We prefer the ease and convience of carry on.

We bring 3 swimsuits each. I find that mine dry out pretty well so that is plenty. Last year I bought a simple t-shirt material skirt at Kohls and I wear assorted tanks and the skirt as my cover every day for lunch and breakfast over my suit. This year I might get one from the beach guy - they are dress style.

I bring two dresses and two shorts or capris and mix and match for dinner. This year I found some great linen ones from Old Navy and I can put a nice top or two with them and I found one pair of dressy sandals that will go with dressy dress and linen capris - so one flip flop and one dressy sandal and that is it. Husband brings 2-3 shorts - tshirt for everyday and one pair dress pants and a few collared shirts - flip flops, sandals and close toes.

We use the resort credits(if we get them) to purchase sunscreen so that we don't have to bring any. Keep our liquids to the two ziplocs (one each) and that seems to be enough room. I bring a small container of skin-so-soft for the nighttime bug issue. Never have really had a problem. I don't use much hair product or makeup so that is not a problem for me.

Good luck - have fun - try Old Navy, Kohls, I even found a good sale at Macy's last weekend.

Enjoy!

You made my day, deedeej...I'm not the only one!

We go for ten days. I will pack 5-7 swimsuits, 6 coverups, and 12 dresses. I can't wear the same thing twice. One pair of black and one pair of brown heels and flip flops. I bring no shirts, shorts or pants, and every year I have come back with one clean dress. I can fit all of the this in a carry-on if need be. I have a job that requires me to wear a suit or dress everyday so I don't have a problem pulling that many out of my closet. I buy coverups at victoria secret or old navy. My dresses come from Kohls, Penny's, Banana Republic, or Ann Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebella View Post
    I'm packing 3 beach cover ups, 4 sundresses/maxi dresses, 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of jeans (which I highly doubt I'll wear), pjs (shorts and tank tops), lingerie (honeymoon!), 2 pairs of flip flopss, 1 pair of tan wedges (matches everything and I can wear them to the nicer dinners, 2 beach hats, 1 zip up hoodie, tennis shoes, 1 beach bag...

My fiance is packing 2 bathing suits, 3-4 white tshirts, 3 collared shirts, 3 button up shirts (for dinners), linen pants, 1 pair of boat shoes (again for dinner), 2 pairs of flip flops, boxers, running shorts, a couple workout shorts, tennis shoes, 1 baseball hat....

I think thats the basics of what we're bringing. We'll be at CSA for 8 days/7 nights...

As far as favorite places that aren't expensive, I shop at Forever 21, Charlotte Rousse, Target, TJ MAxx & Marshalls for cute summer/beach clothes.... I shopped at Victoria Secret & Delias (online) for quite a few dresses, pjs and things for this trip (but that can be more expensive)...
    No need to bring a hoodie or jeans unless they are for the plane. It is way to hot and humid for either of those. You might want a very light sweater for the indoor restaurants as the air conditioning can be a bit cool on sun soaked arms, but leave the bulky heavy type materials at home.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come