Default Iwas wondering what to bring for gifts for the staff and the childern from jamaica

Wanting to bring something special , what would be great little gifts to bring to the childern and families from jamacia and the staff from san souci ,from canada, any replys and information , on what iam able to bring in to the country!
    Last edited by Couples Resorts; January 30th, 2010 at 09:23 AM.

On our last trip we brought otc meds (childrens and adult variety) and the staff where very happy to see them. They said that cold medicine and pain killers are very expensive in JA. One person told us that the meds we gave her would cost her an entire months wages for that one bottle! Also they loved the chocolate that we brought!

Roco!

Apparently(and, after 3 trips this is a new one on me)..good ole north american variety chocolate candy is the fav in JA ex..a bag of Hersheys miniatures, or Kit Kat minis...

school supplies and sweets. both are quite expensive to purchase due to importation. stlsteve

Thanks for the responses...Any more experiences or ideas?

Sounds like a fine idea to bring sweets, but would customs not consider that "food" which we are not allowed to bring in???
    I would also love to bring that for them if able. I've stocked up on school supplies for the children.
    Karin

Customs isn't concerned with a few bags of candy- and you don't need to declare it.

Default School Supplies - March 14 trip to CTI

We are bringing school supplies (pencils, rulers, flash cards) and toothbrushes. We have a friend in Jamaica who works with a childrens charity and we'll be leaving all the goodies with her. If there are others who are interested, and will be at CTI or CSS March 14-20, we can help you get the items to needy children. Thanks to all who bring items!

Buy a bag of the little bags of M&M's. They don't melt and the staff really enjoys them!! Also, over the counter meds are expensive, in JA. I always try to leave some for the maid service!!
    Kristen

The sweets are fine and customs has no problem with bringing it in. The only thing you can't bring in are plants and stuff like that. WE brought school supplies, toys, hats, t-shirts, meds, flip flops, water toys, games, book, make up, lip smackers, baby bibs, baby bottles, ankle summer socks, change purses, body lotions, pens, play dough, first aid supplies, shampoo, tooth brushes (kiddy ones too), tooth paste, hair ties, hair clips, stickers, coloring books, kitchen tools, and quality sunglasses.

We filled up two suitcases and didn't have any issues with customs, and the staff absolutely loved everything!

Hello all.

Is there any kind of program at the COUPLES resorts (CN especially) like a drop box where you can take items such as shoes, school supplies, etc. and they will get them to those that need them? I watched Extreme Home Makeover last Sunday and it was about a woman who was born and raised in Jamaica and she was saying many children don't have shoes to walk to school in. I would like to bring some shoes if I can figure out how to get them where they are needed.

Thanks,
    RG

Quote Originally Posted by RJG in IA View Post
    Hello all.

Is there any kind of program at the COUPLES resorts (CN especially) like a drop box where you can take items such as shoes, school supplies, etc. and they will get them to those that need them? Thanks,
    RG
    Yes, all Couples Resorts sponsor a local school and will gladly take donations at the front desk making sure those in need receive your gifts. We have brought supplies to CN before and left them with the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by rococss View Post
    On our last trip we brought otc meds (childrens and adult variety) and the staff where very happy to see them. They said that cold medicine and pain killers are very expensive in JA. One person told us that the meds we gave her would cost her an entire months wages for that one bottle! Also they loved the chocolate that we brought!

Roco!
    Can you advise what kind of OTC meds you gave them? I want to give the same thing, not something that is less useful.

So glad to hear that CN has a 'drop box' for donated items. There is a group of us coming for a wedding in June and would all like to bring items for donation.

When I think of school supplies, I think pencils, glue, notebook paper, etc. Would these items be okay, or are there other things that are of greater need?

Thanks,

Dana

Go to the Dollar store and purchase , generic childrens and adults Motrin and Tylenol. While there I also purchase things like q-tips, cotton balls, toothbrushes, toothpaste and a variety of drug store items. I also get some nice lotions and throw in some nice scented candles. I usually make up a couple bags full of items like the above and leave one for housekeeping and a second I will leave for another person I meet that week at the resort, who went above and beyond. ( Usually a waitress ).

Where do you leave your gifts for a waiter/waitress, bartender, etc. that would not be coming into your room. Can you just walk up to them and hand it to them or do you let it in your room with a name tag on it? We are planning on returning and would like to do this but don't want to get anyone in trouble.

GreatLakesLove

We took Tylenol, Motrin, Cold Meds, Cough Syrup, Childrens vitamins, and other childrens meds. On our last night one of the staff members had a pretty bad cold, so we took some Tylenol and cold medicine to her. The rest of the staff at the bar wanted the rest. We just took the box down to the bar and let them divide it themselves. One staff member took 4 bottles of different things. He said it would cost him a weeks pay to buy it in Jamaica. I can't imagine having to spend a weeks pay to get your children medicine to make them feel better.

We will take more in March, along with chocolate and suckers (the staff loved them also). But we will also take toothbrushes and toothpaste this time. We had planned last time and are planning again to leave it all at the front desk as we check out. This way housekeeping, cooks, waiters, grounds staff and all the other staff members behind the scenes will be included also.

DON'T FORGET TO WRITE NAMES DOWN DURING YOUR STAY SO YOU WON'T FORGET ANYONE ON CHECK OUT!!!!!

The staff cannot accept tips, but they can accept small gifts. They will not get in trouble for accepting .