Default Bartender music on the Catamaran

We were at CN Jan 17-24 and really enjoyed the catamaran`s ``entertainer`(aka the bartender). Near the end of the cruise he was singing to a CD that I think he said was his. Does anyone have his name or CD name as we`re kicking ourselves now that we didn`t get it when we were there. Also, any suggestions on some good reggae that was played at the resort.....having CN withdrawal.... Thanks.

OH, how I love reggae!

If the fella who was singing on the cat is the guy who could walk around it on his hands, not... he's not the artist on the cd... If it was RastaRalphie... then it probably WAS his cd... he's recorded, I think, three of them (I own his first two).

As for reggae, try listening to The Joint on Sirius radio... listen to the cuts and watch for the artist listed... there have been so many wonderful reggae artists over the years, some of whom were contemporaries of Bob Marley, some who even pre-date him.

Naturally, Bob was a tremendous influence in the evolution of reggae, and if you listen to some of his later stuff, one can make the argument that he influenced the foundations of urban and rap music.

Whether its root reggae, hip-hop, dance hall, dub, or whatever... you can find it on the island and it can be infectious.

Good luck!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda and Ken View Post
    Near the end of the cruise he was singing to a CD that I think he said was his.... Also, any suggestions on some good reggae that was played at the resort.....having CN withdrawal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    If the fella who was singing on the cat is the guy who could walk around it on his hands, not... he's not the artist on the cd... If it was RastaRalphie... then it probably WAS his cd... he's recorded, I think, three of them (I own his first two).
    The bartender who can walk on his hands is Sawlee (phonetically anyway - not sure of the actual spelling, but I did repeat as "Sally??" once and he carefully enunciated to correct me). I've never seen Rasta Ralphie bartend - not that this means he never does, but am betting this post is about Sawlee. He does refer to the CD's as his - as in he sells them. I also initially thought he meant he was the artists but then recognized a few of the artists on the CD. As Chris said, "The Joint" plays similar music, though Sawlee tends to have more current tracks.

A typical list from one of his CDs: Gyptian, Damion Marley, Jah Cure, Buju Banton, Tarrus Riley, Morgan Heritage, Fantan Mojah, Chuck Fender, Cocoa Tea, Sizzla, Anthony Cruz, Richie Spice.

CN will play a few of those artists (some of Sawlee's songs are probably a bit fast/racy for CN) but also throws in older music as well. Take Chris' advice and try The Joint to see if you recognize any songs/artists.

iPhone users can try pandora or slacker radio free and set up a reggae setlist that will introduce you to new music. Or try Big Up radio which is all reggae.

We bought his CD in 2006 when we were at CN.I can't remember his name and I don't know what happened to the CD. I guess I'll have to buy another one from him this April. I did have a couple of pics of him though.
    Last edited by rjammin; February 3rd, 2010 at 03:06 PM.

thanks so much!

thank you!

We bought the CD in '07, actually he placed it in my hand and told me it was $10 - it was a "copy" with no label - never got the guys name but we have been listening to it ever since. I have even heard several of the songs on "the Joint XM radio" so I figured he just made a CD of favorite artists.
    ... it keepsh me shane

We were just there in November. I know the bartender you refer to... It was definitely NOT Rasta Ralphie. This guy was REALLY animated and sang/danced with anyone who would join him.

I bought one of his CDs. It was a home-burned disc with the title "Draw Mi Line" written on it. Didnt come with a track listing, but I was able to identify 80% of the songs and their artists. The bartender, to my knowledge and research, never recorded any of these.

He did, however, sing them (on the boat). Technically, it's a collection of songs he sang.

The CD quality is good to marginal (one track is overmodulated and the sound tears a bit). I consider it a "mix tape from Jamaica", and though "Sawlee" wasn't the original artist, we have fond memories of him belting out the lyrics.

If you are ever on the catamaran again, ask for a copy of "Soft Reggae". This is a great collection of songs that the guy sang to on the boat ride. We have worn our copy out. It is SOOO good. One song on it is an old Phil Collins song, "One More Night" done in perfect reggae fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda and Ken View Post
    We were at CN Jan 17-24 and really enjoyed the catamaran`s ``entertainer`(aka the bartender). Near the end of the cruise he was singing to a CD that I think he said was his. Does anyone have his name or CD name as we`re kicking ourselves now that we didn`t get it when we were there. Also, any suggestions on some good reggae that was played at the resort.....having CN withdrawal.... Thanks.
    Bartender was Sawlee (like most, I'm not sure of the spelling either). He's not the artist but he sells collection CDs on the Catamaran cruise.

If you want to sample and purchase similar CDs around CN, ask for Barry White. He is usually open for business near the Office of Nature. He has many CDs that are collections of various reggae artists and each CD has a different style as the main theme...from roots reggae to modern dance music. If he doesn't have what you want, just ask and he can [probably get it.

We bought this CD too - I have a picture of this guy - I'll have to look when I get home and see what his shirt says. We have a picture of Howard too.

are you guys talking about Howard? the guy who does a Lorena Bobbitt rap?

Brenda and Ken,

I believe you are referring to the bartender, Howard Watson as leahgoof suggested. Here is the youtube video showing Howard singing and having fun. He makes the cruise a lot of fun. couples sweptaway catamaran cruise - YouTube I hope this helps. We too bought the "Soft Reggae" cd. It is great!

The recording artist might be Mikey Spice. In 06, our first trip, I bought one of their bootleg CDs as well from the cruise - though I didn't know that. Please buy the CDs from Amazon or a reputable dealer so hopefully the musician will get some royalty money.

Last year I bought, from the CN resort, Gregory Isaacs: All I have is Love Anthology. It's a two disk set. I'm really glad I picked it.

Both artists are a mellow easy listening - not the heavy metal type.

Ok looking thru our May 2012 pics, we bought the CD from Howard. Ours is the one with One More Night - we love this CD! This is he and my hubby on our cat cruise. Name:  Dick_Howard CSA Cat.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  44.7 KB

Here's the song list from the Nice Reggae CD we bought from Howard on the CN Cat Cruise. He's played it all three trips. There are a couple I couldn't identify.

1) One More Night – Busy Signal
    2) Sweet Love – Busy Signal
    3) Call On Me – Jah Cure ft Phyllisia Ross
    4) Love’s Contagious – Tarrus Riley
    5) Pon Your Head – Chino
    6) Hope and Pray – Mavado
    7) Fall Rain Fall – Mavado
    8) Lioness On The Rise – Queen Ifrica
    9) (Couldn’t Identify – “Why can’t we” is main lyric)
    10) (Couldn’t Identify – “”)
    11) I’m Just A Man – Red Rat
    12) Murderer – Romain Virgo
    13) August Town - Etana
    14) Present Of Love - Javaughn
    15) (Couldn’t Identify, but “cassava” is the main lyric)
    16) Life – G Whizz
    17) Don’t Blame Life - Bugle
    18) Unfair Officer - Wasp
    19) Colins de Paradis - Bhy2r
    20) True Friend - Demarco
    21) Best I Ever Had - Drake

Name:  cat cruise.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  80.6 KBOh yes, it is called "Nice Reggae" not Soft Reggae. Thanks dank120.All this talk about the cat cruise has me dreaming of being back there. Here is a pic from our last trip.

Definitly Howard! We just came back and we also bought his CD - Nice Reggae...he had more options, but I loved the one with the song One more night....just got home yesterday, and already dreaming of going back home!