Default connecting flight

What happens if you miss your connecting flight because of delays on your first flight???

Quote Originally Posted by Suhrah View Post
    What happens if you miss your connecting flight because of delays on your first flight???
    1) you will have to figure out what the next flight on your airline is
    2) approach desk and explain this to the aireline folks chances are they never experienced this so please be prepared to be detailed
    3) if you can shed a tear they normally will take pity put you on the next avail flight with seats
    4) if you can get you hubby to shed a tear they may not bang you for any additional charges
    5) if you can avoid connecting flights the money you save isnt worth the downside ...

as a heads up if you must take a connecting flight try to take one as early in the day as poosible to allow yourself the max number of reconnect options.... getting stuck in nashville at 8 pm for a pane out to JA is not going to be fun

enjpy

You have to get on a later flight. This happened to us coming home from the Dominican Republic a couple years ago. The airline booked us onto a flight the next morning as we were so late we missed all later flights for that day.

You hope this happens on your way home and not on your way to Jamaica!! Friends of ours had this happen on their first trip to Couples and missed their first two days of vacation. They got stuck in Charlotte. But CTI was so awesome they didn't let it ruin their vacation. In fact, they are headed back soon for trip #4.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Boy, if we miss our connecting flight, something must have really gone bonkers. We have an almost 5 hour layover in Miami. **gag**

For us the challenge will be staying awake during that period. Our initial flight is the red eye out of LAX. Can you imagine if we were asleep while they boarded the plane and took off for Mobay? LOL

You can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as we exit the plane, we're heading over to the outbound gate and plunking our tired butts right there in the adjacent seating area. This way, when folks start filling in as the flight draws near, if one of the fellow passengers notices two people sawing logs, they'll make sure to wake us. Hmmm, maybe I'll just paste a sign on me that says: WAKE IF FOUND SNORING
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

I fly almost every week for work. I can't count the number of times that I've missed a connecting flight. Here are some tips.

Before you even go to the airport, have an idea of what the later flights are so that you can call the airline while you are waiting in line to be rebooked. For example, we just went to CSA last week. We connected in Charlotte to a flight that left at 9:30 a.m. I knew from research that there is also a 11:30 flight if we missed our flight.

If there are long lines, you may want to consider buying a day pass to whatever airline club is located at the airport. In Charlotte, this will be USAirways. In Detroit and Atlanta, Delta. There are many more agents here who can really work with you to rebook you as quickly as possible. It will also give you a quiet place to hang out while you wait for your next flight. The day pass costs are usually around $30-$40. Not cheap, but an option if you are faced with a very long layover and need specialized help.

Use a travel agent if you are not comfortable with traveling. One call to your travel agent and they can take care of the hassle of rebooking you.

BobandJudy, thanks for your expert advice. We will be going Tuesday with Delta, and it's the first time in 9 years we haven't been able to go non-stop from Detroit. We have a 74 minute layover in Memphis. We arrive in Memphis at 8:26 a.m. and depart for MoBay at 9:40 a.m. I am going to be positive about NO PROBLEM, MON because the flight we have at 9:40 a.m. is the only direct. Everything after that stops in Atlanta and lays over for 13 hours or more. EEEKKK!

Quote Originally Posted by BobandJudy View Post
    ...you may want to consider buying a day pass to whatever airline club is located at the airport...
    B&J, that was not only tip of the day, that was the tip of the year! What a great suggestion. I never knew you could purchase an entry into one of those airline clubs. A few years back when we cashed in a bunch of FF miles and flew to London via first class, we were able to experience AA's private lounge for that level of ticket (ahhhh, how the better half lives....). But I have never been aware that you can possibly buy a day pass. We may not take advantage of this during our long layover in Miami even if it is available, but it sure is nice to know there could be such an option. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun_princess View Post
    We have a 74 minute layover in Memphis. We arrive in Memphis at 8:26 a.m. and depart for MoBay at 9:40 a.m. I am going to be positive about NO PROBLEM, MON because the flight we have at 9:40 a.m. is the only direct. Everything after that stops in Atlanta and lays over for 13 hours or more. EEEKKK!
    Yikes, and I thought our almost 5 hour layover was a major pain. Whatever you do princess, don't miss that connection!!
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

SunPrincess - Memphis is a relatively small airport to connect through. 74 minutes should be plenty. I like the Memphis airport - I am sending out positive thoughts your way!!

Ron and Rosa - I've purchased "day passes" for Continetal, Delta, and USAirways. This mostly happens when I miss a flight and get stuck somewhere for hours. As you've seen, they have free snacks, soda pop, newspapers, comfy chairs, etc. Thanks for the kind words, it was nice to hear.

Ron, I checked the weather. We leave Detroit before the snow storm starts, and Memphis is looking darned clear by the time we fly in. Should be okay. I'm wearing my running shoes just in case. All packed and ready to go!Sun_princess

hope you make your connection! i'm worried too bc we only have a 50 minute layover!!!

anyone know if flying out of Atlanta through Delta is a pain?
    we go CLE 545 arrive 738 Atl and get back on at 830 to Mo BAy

The tram at Atlanta is very fast and efficient. If your first flight is on time, it won't be a problem.

Any connection less than an hour is tight, though. (IMHO)
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

We've done the Delta/Atlanta transfer with a 50 minute layover. Not a problem. Check out the map of the Atlanta airport and get an idea of where you have to go. You hop on the tram that will take you out to the Internation Terminal.

Anyone familiar with the Dallas Fort Worth airport? We originally booked an early morning flight connecting through DFW on the way to MBJ. We have been subsequently moved by American to a later flight, giving us just 45 minutes between landing in DFW and taking off for MBJ. Don't you have to be on board international-bound flights 30 minutes prior to takeoff? I just don't think American left us enough time. What I really don't get is that, even though they cancelled the early flight we were on, they appear to have replaced it with one leaving within 10 minutes of the flight that had been cancelled. Why not put us on that instead of the "tight connection" flight?

We flew through Memphis last year and didn't have any issues. It's a very easy airport to get around. Best of luck to you!

IMHO, 50 minutes in Atlanta is cutting it VERY VERY close....
    Atlanta is a huge airport, and a lot will depend on whether or not you have to connect through a different terminal. (You may have to go through security again, which is a HUGE pain.) In any case, Definitely check on later flights just in case you miss yours. Also, make sure you have a bathing suit in your carryon, since your luggage might take a later flight that you do. (Not probable, luggage is usually more efficient than people but it COULD happen.

Pray.....That's what we had to do on the way back. We did get a discounted room rate though. Delta is a mess.