Hybrid View

Default Yoga at CTI - for beginners?

I'm thinking about joining in with the yoga classes while I'm at CTI in March, but I'm a little concerned they might be too advanced for me. I haven't taken a class before, although I've always wanted to. I've only dabbled in yoga in the comfort of my living room with a dvd. And I'm not very flexible. I'm sure I look like an idiot.

Am I going to be in over my head? Should I just sleep in instead?

Dena

Dena, this is the beauty of YOGA! It is not at all about performance. We all felt the same way in the beginning and discovered very quickly you do what you can, you watch the others in the class and a good yoga instructor will correct your position. If you feel pain - you stop the position. You will find that flexibility has more to do with breathing technique and relaxation than with muscle strength. Don't sleep in, do YOGA every day you can. It brings so much pleasure to so many. It has literally changed my life so I can only encourage you to go for it! ;-) Please report back in after, I would like to hear about Couples YOGA instructors!

you are on holiday if you have to ask that many questions about spending a chunk of precious time then i think you answered your own question. Yoga isnt like zip lining or visiting dunns river where it is is one and done ... the benefits are derived thru repetition.
    sleep in have a mimosa at breakfast and then get nekkid on the island probably thing you dont normally do while at home enjoy

I love yoga and might give it a try at CTI. But then again I'm on vacation and am there to relax, not to worry about working out. Stressing about yoga is counterproductive! If you're worried, don't do it...follow steverandlinda's suggestion instead

Enjoying a yoga practice on vacation, especially at Couples where they have quality instructors, really enhances my vacation. I try never to miss and will generally book my massage for just after a class, then follow that with a nap on the terrace, a shower and the evening's festivities.

I have practiced for years and for me, yoga is a much more than a work out. It's a tune up for brain and body and something good I do for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
    Enjoying a yoga practice on vacation, especially at Couples where they have quality instructors, really enhances my vacation.
    Edit to add that my experience with instructors has always been at CSA.

Dena --
    I'm with you! I've always wanted to try yoga, and wondered about the Couples classes.
    A co-workers wife does the "beacrum" (don't know if spelled that right!) an hour a day, sometimes twice a day! Now while this is a little over the top for me personally, I've really wanted to try it, but didn't want to pay for a class and then not like it, so what better time than while on vacation - when it's free to me!!
    When are yall going to be at CTI in March? We are doing a split CN 3/11-18 and CTI 3/18-23 !! Hope to see you there!

Rhonda
    Beachwed2007

Thanks for all the feedback. In case anyone was worried, I'm totally not stressing out about the yoga.

Rhonda - you totally get where I'm coming from. Yoga has been something I've enjoyed doing at home, but before I commit to taking a class, I thought trying it out at CTI would be nice because a) I don't have to drive 15-20m away, b) I don't have to fork out extra cash, and c) I don't have to line up daycare for my brood of littles. That being said, I also don't want to head to a class all excited and then find everyone there contorting into pretzels while I'm looking more like a pretzel stick. If you KWIM. lol

That being said, I have a feeling the beach, the bed, or the buffet will be calling loudly, so this may be a moot point. I'm trying to stay positive though!

Quote Originally Posted by beachwed2007 View Post
    Dena --

When are yall going to be at CTI in March? We are doing a split CN 3/11-18 and CTI 3/18-23 !! Hope to see you there!

Rhonda
    Beachwed2007
    Looks like we'll be missing you. We'll be there at the very end of March, into April (3/28-4/4). If you check out the yoga class, be sure to let me know how it was!

Dena

Will do Dena!

The yoga taught is for all levels and is not a competition. I suggest giving it a shot while it is so convenient. It will help stretch out your legs that are bound to be sore from snorkeling and dancing so much :-). It will also help you to not gain weight while enjoying all of your fave foods and beverages.

When we were at CTI there was a guest yoga instructor (not a Couples employee). She held a 4:00 pm class Monday-Thursday and 8:30 am Monday-Friday. I have only done yoga at home with a dvd and had no trouble keeping up with the instructor. I have been doing yoga since May and my husband thought I could do a better job teaching the class! I ended up doing my own routine in our room. My point is that it depends on what instructor is there the week you are. At CSS there is a professional instructor that does a class Wed. and Fri.

It's Bikram and it's tough! Not only do you practice in the heat, but the postures are intense.

I have done it a few times but not in years.