Thread: CTI - Beer

Default CTI - Beer

when you order beer from any of the bars do you have a choice of can, bottle, or draft? if you do have a choice, can you just drink it strait from the bottle / can? Are you allowed to take a few back to your room?

At the main bar, Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light were available on draft but was also poured out of a bottle on occasion. Red Stripe was also on draft I believe at the swim-up pool bar. Carib (Trinidad) in cans was also found at the swim-up pool bar... I did take a couple of them back to the room once or twice. In addition to RS, the piano bar had locally-brewed Guinness and Heineken in bottles (Guinness seemed harder to keep in stock... some days they had it, some days not). Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light in bottles on the island. I wish they had Dragon Stout (same brewery at Red Stripe) at CTI. It is an excellent stout, very different than Guinness. The only place I saw it during our December visit was when we stopped our bus ride over from the airport.

Do they also have US domestics like Bud light and Miller lite?

We love Bud Light, but unfortunatley there is not any at CTI. They do have Miller Lite in a can though.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by mu77tx View Post
    ...the piano bar had locally-brewed Guinness and Heineken in bottles (Guinness seemed harder to keep in stock... some days they had it, some days not)....I wish they had Dragon Stout (same brewery at Red Stripe) at CTI. It is an excellent stout, very different than Guinness. The only place I saw it during our December visit was when we stopped our bus ride over from the airport.
    Mmmm, Guinness. Hopefully they'll have it at more than just the piano bar. This will probably be the first drink I order after our arrival. That Dragon Stout sounds intriguing as well. Too bad Couples doesn't stock it. I'm guessing the demand for darker, heavier beers isn't that strong. Either that or it may simply be too costly to order small quantities. Maybe I'll purchase a bottle or two if our van makes a pit stop at a place that carries it.

Thanks for the good info, much appreciated.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    Mmmm, Guinness. Hopefully they'll have it at more than just the piano bar. This will probably be the first drink I order after our arrival. That Dragon Stout sounds intriguing as well. Too bad Couples doesn't stock it. I'm guessing the demand for darker, heavier beers isn't that strong. Either that or it may simply be too costly to order small quantities. Maybe I'll purchase a bottle or two if our van makes a pit stop at a place that carries it.

Thanks for the good info, much appreciated.
    when you exit the airport as you board the bus to your immediate right is a mini margarittaville bar ... Cant recall if they had guiness or dragon but i have to believe they carry it
    one thing to include on your packing list is a bottle opener even the red stripe are not twist off

Quote Originally Posted by steverandlinda View Post
    when you exit the airport as you board the bus to your immediate right is a mini margarittaville bar ... Cant recall if they had guiness or dragon but i have to believe they carry it
    one thing to include on your packing list is a bottle opener even the red stripe are not twist off
    Excellent suggestion. I do have a purchase/packing/actions list, so I will make sure to add this. Thanks.
    Ron

I forgot to mention the cans of Miller Lite that I saw around CTI. It never occurred to me to order one, just like I would not likely order one here in the states. But Miller Lite is there for those who prefer a light American lager. Actually, the Red Stripe Light was a pleasant surprise... a lower-calorie beer with some real beer flavor, not very different in my mind than the regular Red Stripe (I never did a side-by-side comparison of the two). I say give the Red Stripe Light a try. The Carib was less interesting, more like a typical American adjunct lager in my opinion. But hey, it's all good!

Excellent suggestion. I do have a purchase/packing/actions list, so I will make sure to add this. Thanks.
    If you're a dirty smoker (like me) your lighter doubles as a bottle opener...it just takes a bit of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    If you're a dirty smoker (like me) your lighter doubles as a bottle opener...it just takes a bit of practice.
    LOL - very creative!! But I'm no longer a smoker, so no lighters at the house except those weird looking long ones used to light fireplaces - don't think that would cut it.
    Ron

Ron & Rosa --

okay, off topic, but being the "list freak" that I am -- I'm interested in your "purchase/packing/actions" list... would you mind sharing? Here on this board, or by emailing... r2krueger at juno . com

?
    Thanks!
    Rhonda

LOL - very creative!! But I'm no longer a smoker, so no lighters at the house except those weird looking long ones used to light fireplaces - don't think that would cut it.
    They work, too. I imagine you'd look silly pulling one out to open a beer, however. As a certifiable beer enthusiast, I've had to "work with what I've got" many times. Belt buckles, tables, metal watch bands I didn't care about scratching, etc.

:-p

Quote Originally Posted by beachwed2007 View Post
    Ron & Rosa --

okay, off topic, but being the "list freak" that I am -- I'm interested in your "purchase/packing/actions" list... would you mind sharing? Here on this board, or by emailing... r2krueger at juno . com

?
    Thanks!
    Rhonda
    beachwed2007, I'll be more than happy to do so. I can't forward it until this evening, as I have the list on my home PC and right now I'm at work (shhhh, don't tell my boss ). It's nothing more than a somewhat organized 'to do/get' list, and as you might expect, I'm always finding things to add to it, such as bringing a bottle opener, which has been the subject of these last few posts. Being it's in an Excel format, you can of course delete or add items as applicable to your needs. So look for it tonite or depending on where you live, perhaps you won't see it until tomorrow in the am.
    Ron

what about the ocean jr suite. they come with a fridge and i have seen pics of red stripe in the fridge, do the jr suites come with bottle openers????

awesome thanks!!
    I have our list we've used the last few years, but like you -- I'm always finding/thinking of/hearing about things to add to it! Drives my husband nuts that I'm so over the top! LOL

LOL! My Jamaica packing list is an Excel spreadsheet with tabs for "Things to Pack," "Things to Buy," and "Things to Do."

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceandKelli View Post
    LOL! My Jamaica packing list is an Excel spreadsheet with tabs for "Things to Pack," "Things to Buy," and "Things to Do."
    Ours is pretty similar. It's also in Excel with two columns, one titled "Things to buy/bring", the other "Actions to take". And we dedicated one of the guest rooms to be our 'staging area', which simply means to place anything that we've purchased for the trip or already have but don't need until then, in the room.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by markjennwedding View Post
    what about the ocean jr suite. they come with a fridge and i have seen pics of red stripe in the fridge, do the jr suites come with bottle openers????
    I sure hope so, because we'll be in an Ocean Jr. Suite 3/20-3/27! We had a Beach Front Suite at CSA 2 years ago, and the mini-bar did have a bottle opener/cork screw included. Couldn't have opened the wine or bottled beverages without it!

Incidentally, I always travel with a sturdy waiter's-style bottle opener/corkscrew. I've bought too many overpriced bottle openers while traveling after we were hit by the urge to buy a bottle of wine to take back to our hotel room. So now it's standard issue in my checked luggage!

If you want your beer in a bottle or can, also pack a koozie. On the island beer was served in the bottle (made no sense to me with class at and in the pool, but hey it's Jamaica mon). Anyway, take the koozie as the beer will get warm quickly.
    Vicky

The beer is in a bottle on the island because can you imaging trying to get a keg of beer in and out of the boat that ferries you to and from the island?