View Poll Results: Do you really NEED a printed brochure to make a purchase decision?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • No,if I have access to relevant resort details, I do not need a printed brochure.

68 62.96%
  • It would be nice to have a printed brochure, but not critical to my purchase decision

33 30.56%
  • Yes, I must have a printed brochure

7 6.48%

Default Do you NEED a printed brochure? How Green can we go?

As part of our continuing GREEN initiatives, we are looking at all of the printing we do to promote our resorts. Market surveys tell us that up to 90% of consumers conduct their research online before making a travel related purchase. Some end up buying online while others will book their vacation through more traditional "bricks and mortars" means, ie travel agent,tour operator, etc.

With this in mind - and considering the fact that we do provide an online brochure (http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...b9#/a570d9b9/1) - do you really need a printed brochure to make your purchase decision?

Couples Resorts

Not to make the purchase decision, but I'd like to have the brochure at hand to refer to (I carry a tote or briefcase all the time) or to show others without having to access the internet. I also wanted to tear out some pictures to post on my inspiration board. That being said, I have been unable to get one from a travel agent and am still hoping to get one from my request on the couples website, though it's been 3 weeks since I requested it.

There are a lot of people, especially older people, who do not have computers. My grandparents just booked a cruise and were so upset that they were getting higher rates on the phone versus what I would find them online (they don't have a computer or know how to use one). They also debate for months before booking vacations and spread all the brochures out and compare. I think eliminating paper brochures would alienate a large demographic.

With today's internet and the incredible information available in this venue, there is no need for printed brochures, but that's only according to me, and it's why I chose 'No' in the poll. However, there are undoubtedly others who prefer to have something tangible in hand.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Normally I'd say no, however, just three days ago I submitted a request for a Spa brochure. I wanted to print the brochure that's online, but it prints all fuzzy. Maybe if it was available in pdf format it would download/print easier.

and just a thought...wondering if you could also get rid of the printed comment cards at the end of our stay by instead having it online. There could be some extra computers set up to the side of the check out desk, or be able to do it from the web lounge. Or email it to guests so they can fill it out as soon as they get back. I know you may be thinking they need to do it asap but I think the ones who do fill it out will fill it out no matter how they get it
    Sharon
    CSA
    Oct 2005, Dec 2006/Jan 2007, March 2008, Dec 2009/Jan 2010, June 2010, June 2011, June 2012, July 2014

I don't need a brochure but I've also already been infected with the couples virus!! But could see if you have not been infected yet you may want a brochure.

I have trouble reading the brochures online. I 'm also unable to get the PDF one to print.
    Last edited by ferretface; February 4th, 2010 at 10:37 AM.

Honestly, i have requested a brochure from the Couples Resort and have received it. Even though my decision to visit the resort was based on the number of positive reviews made on this site, I always refer to the hard copy version of the brochure every now and then, especially when i am unable to use the pc to view the pdf version i saved.

I would rather sit on our sofa while drinking a cup of coffee.
    I spend too much time in front of the computer at work......

while i totally agree with the green effort i see no printed material as a negative in the brick and mortar areas. when you walk into a travel agency these items are available for everywhere. i see it as a marketing loss for those operations.

i guess my question is, Randymon where do your bookings come from. brick and mortar, web, direct. your percentage of folks who book via different ways is changing, but you way be the only chain in the house without paper if folks want it.

btw, still looking for a card at CSA to let house keeping know that we dont need the bed linen changed daily. none found in both trips in 2009.

Randy

Back in 2005 when my husband and I were doing research for a place to honeymoon. I had found Couples and ordered the brochure. My husband, about a week or so after I received the brochure called me into his office to show me a place he really liked. I saw the page ran out of his office grabbed the brochure and said oh this place. Well that was it we had to book it now! We both found and fell in love with COR(CTI) we booked it right away!

shandi Guest

Since reading your comments about the online brochures, I did some updating to them. All 3 online brochures do download, by page or in whole, to PDF. It can be printed from there. Give it a try. http://www.couples.com/05brochureF.htm Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Shandi a.k.a Andi Conway, Director of Sales and Marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by shandi View Post
    Since reading your comments about the online brochures, I did some updating to them. All 3 online brochures do download, by page or in whole, to PDF. It can be printed from there. Give it a try. http://www.couples.com/05brochureF.htm Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Shandi a.k.a Andi Conway, Director of Sales and Marketing.
    It's perfect! Thank you Shandi!!!

I know when it was our first time to Jamaica (in 2005) I requested brochures from several places to make the decision where to go. We had never been to Jamaica and had no idea what to expect. While the internet does have a lot of information, I wanted to have something in hand to look over. It just makes it feel more "real" if you have a brochure, I believe. Now, of course, I don't need a brochure, but I think for new people it may turn them off if they can't have something in hand to look at, no matter their age. Something about not having something to hold in your hand gives people the feeling that it may not be legit. In case it matters, I'm 34 - so it's not just older folks that it may be wary of not having a brochure.

I do appreciate and support the resorts efforts to go green, though.
    Melea & Joseph
    CN - '06, '07, '08
    CSS and CSA - '09
    CSA - '10

Prefer to have a Brochure - thanks

I did not get a printed brochure when deciding to visit Couples, and to be honest haven't gotten any in years when vacationing here in the States. Not a big deal at all to me. I like the instant information and don't have the patience to wait for something to come in the mail. All of my correspondence with our travel agent is through email. Only visited her office to pick up the luggage that was a booking bonus for our second trip to Couples.