Default sunburn after radiation

Only 48 days to CTI!! I completed chemo and radiation for breast cancer two months ago, and my doctor told me to be careful of sunburn on the radiated area. He even suggested that I place a small towel over that area when I'm out in the sun. Do any of you have some advice for me? I think a towel might look a little weird sticking out of my suit, but I also don't want to jeopardize my health in any way. Thanks for your help!

Everyone with have an answer for you,but I would ask your Dr. He/She would have the best answer for you.

Be very generous with the sunscreen! I'd look for a sunblock with zinc oxide. And maybe get a big floppy hat. And keep that area shaded as much as possible.

I spent a day on a Florida beach with my mom shortly after she underwent radiation for breast cancer. With just sunscreen alone, she got noticeably red in that area after a short time. With her floppy hat and some strategic positioning, we managed to keep that side shaded, preventing further burning. I was surprised at how sensitive that area was.

((Hugs)) Breast cancer is such a dreadful disease.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning1 View Post
    Only 48 days to CTI!! I completed chemo and radiation for breast cancer two months ago, and my doctor told me to be careful of sunburn on the radiated area. He even suggested that I place a small towel over that area when I'm out in the sun. Do any of you have some advice for me? I think a towel might look a little weird sticking out of my suit, but I also don't want to jeopardize my health in any way. Thanks for your help!
    Listen to your doctor and don't worry about what anyone thinks!

I was warned of this and I only had chemo. I haven't had any chemo since June so I should be OK (they work on 6 months)but just be aware that the skin will be extra sensitive and more likely to burn, take care.

FWIW: My wife completed her radiation about 8 days before we went to CSS last week. Her treated area was very red during treatment, but "calmed down" in the 8 days between treatment and the trip. She kept plenty of sunscreen (spf 50) on the area and felt no ill effects. She wore a bikini that covered a lot of her treatment area. But other than keeping it covered in sunscreen, she did nothing special.