Default How are the stars

How are the stars! I would like to bring my binoculars and a star chart to see stars that are not visible in our state.Do they have light pollution washing out the stars in the sky.We are going to be at couples Negril in 2 weeks.

Awesome on a moonless night. Not bad even with the moon.

The stars are wonderful, but you have to move away from the center of the resort. If you are lucky there will be a power outage and they are even better. Several years ago we were at CN, storm blew through late afternoon early evening and all of Negril lost power. CN had generators but for the buildings only, the entertainment kept trying to play but every time they brought their lights up for the show the generators went out. So they finally turned most lights off. My husband and I (actually we were not married at the time) grab some wine, he had a good cigar and went down to the beach. It was beautiful. We could see a lightening storm way off in the distance and when you looked straight up you could see the Milkyway, something I have not seen since I was little. It was one of the most spectaular nights that trip, which is saying a lot.

I agree with Blondie, if the power goes out it will be better. The resorts to the north & south which I will not name, have the most obnoxious lights on at night. Especially the one to the south. Every time we have been to CN it bothers us. It's almost as if they're messing with the CN guests by shining these mega watt lights towards us. Believe it or not, it's actually one of the reasons we are going to CSA this year. We love the beach & stars at night and we're really bothered by those lights.

My husband and I always think that the stars look brighter and closer than they do at home. Whether they really are or not doesn't matter tho. They are beautiful.
    Margene

True story...

My bride and I were on our way to the repeaters' dinner during the second week of Dec. in 2007. I love looking up at the stars when we're on the island (because of the lack of light pollution), and looked up from the deck of the pool at the GreatHouse. What did I see... a comet!... no kidding!

That particular reach, I gave her the sun, the moon, the stars AND a comet!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

How easy is it to find "The Southern Cross" constellation? Also does anyone know if it's visible year round or just during certain months?

While I've never seen it, if its visible, it will be low on the southern horizon. After all, you ARE still in the northern latitudes. I'd have to consult a star chart.

Seems to me that someone posted a website long ago where you could punch in your location and date/time, and it would provide a map of the stars and constellations that would be visible. Perhaps NOAA? The Naval Observatory? Something like that...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

You can make your own star chart by simply entering the longitude and latitude of your observing site here.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/

You can check for space station fly - bys on this site.

http://www.spaceweather.com/flybys/i...cnbtpjqaasgm01
    nobody's favorite poster