Default CTI Insect Bite Risks? rsvp.... merci

I am hoping that one of you kind CTI lovers may be able to advise me of the risks of insect bites at Ocho Rios, especially around the Dunns River Falls, etc. Will be at CTI Feb 14th thru 21st 2010.

Trying to pack light, but have major allergies to insect bites, and may need to carry an extra bottle or two of benedryl.

Any comments of advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

I'm not a CTI veteran (but will be in about 2.5 months), but I would recommend both some Benadryl and a tube of hydrocortisone cream if you know that you're hypersensitive to insect bites. (Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared) We were at CN recently and, while neither of us were bothered at all, we saw one poor soul who had lots of welts from insect bites. My wife is sensitive so she always carries a remedy for this.

My wife and I stayed at CTI Jan.15thru 20 and never saw any bugs except for the bees at the bar trying to get something sweet.Other than that there is no bugs.hope this helps.
    P.S.you will love this place

Hi we have been to CTI Christmas and New Year for many years and I always get bitten! (not just at CTI, we're from the UK and I've also been bitten in Italy, France, Spain - if there's a biting insect about it will find me!). I suffer with extreme allergic reactions to insect bites and have learned (the hard way!) to always take repellent (50% DEET are the best), antihistimine tablets and hydrocortisone cream. On one of our first visits to CTI the bites were so bad they required prescribed antibiotics from a local doctor, however, this was a year when there had been a lot of rain and apparently that's when the mosquitos 'come out in force'. Since then I never leave the bedroom in the evening without spraying/covering every part of my exposed skin with repellent, even so I have on occasions still been bitten (usually because we played tennis in the early evening and I hadn't applied protection!) but, by taking antihistimine tables and using the cream, the effects have not been too bad and clear up after a day or so.

Therefore my advice to anyone with a sensitivity to insect bites is the same as liquid 'Be Prepared' and apply protection in the evening, it's absolutely true that prevention is better than cure and you don't want your holiday in paradise spoiled by insect bites. You will LOVE CTI it's the most special place on earth and we can't wait to return.

Mad about tennis

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks liquid, thersa and mike for the info.. much appreciated!

Thanks also to johnirene...

heading out to get some deet as soon as i post this!

Thanks again!
    Bob

We get bitten a lot in Negril and didn't have a problem in Ocho Rios.

We did dunns river falls while we were there as well, end of nov. early dec 2009.

Maybe its a time of year, or maybe just where you are. We didn't get any mosquito bites on the beach side of the hotel, just got a couple bites near the spa while we were looking at the parrots in the grassy / bushy areas.

We were at CTI a couple weeks ago and the beach had many small ants crawling around, and yes they do BITE.

Isn't there a vitamin that supposedly wards off the insects? I thought someone said B on the message board, but when I went to the store, they had B1, B2, B12, etc. Not sure which to buy.

Tee tree oil

I never see this wonderous itch reliever mentioned when people are discussing what to bring for bug bites and such, and it deserves to be. It's outstanding at relieving that nagging itch that soon follows those nasty bites.

It can usually be found in little applicaters about the size of a lip balm, or in small bottles. I believe most stores and pharmacies carry it. I know Trader Joe's does, just not sure if you have a TJ's in your neck of the woods. If not, I'm sure drugstores like Walgreens and other chains carry it.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Tee tree is not just great for relieving itch (and it's naturally anti-bacterial) but it also helps to PREVENT insect bites.

I am a veritable insect magnet, and I use a self-made concoction of teatree, eucalpytus, citronella, lavendar and geranium oils. I mix it in a base of sweet almond oil and put it in an atomizer. It works wonders. And the smell, while definitely herbal isn't too bad.

You might want to bring a backup of deet as well just in case it doesn't work for you, but i'm not a big fan of chemicals and don't want to have to shower off the poison after dinner and before, ummm, bed.

As a side note: I am also an adventure racer and this stuff works as well in the deep woods as it does in Ocho Rios and Negril. (And yes, before I sprayed some on, the bugs in Ochi DID find me... especially sitting outside the lobby on the balcony before dinner.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    Tee tree is not just great for relieving itch (and it's naturally anti-bacterial) but it also helps to PREVENT insect bites.

I am a veritable insect magnet, and I use a self-made concoction of teatree, eucalpytus, citronella, lavendar and geranium oils. I mix it in a base of sweet almond oil and put it in an atomizer. It works wonders. And the smell, while definitely herbal isn't too bad.
    You might want to bring a backup of deet as well just in case it doesn't work for you, but i'm not a big fan of chemicals and don't want to have to shower off the poison after dinner and before, ummm, bed.

As a side note: I am also an adventure racer and this stuff works as well in the deep woods as it does in Ocho Rios and Negril. (And yes, before I sprayed some on, the bugs in Ochi DID find me... especially sitting outside the lobby on the balcony before dinner.)
    Ok, color me impressed. Actually coming up with your own blend of insect repellant! That's pretty cool. Oh, on a side note, it wasn't until I read your follow up to my post that I used TEE instead of TEA in describing the oil. That's what I get for having a 9:30 tee time for yesterday on my mind that day (and I golfed like crap, spank you very much).

I didn't mention the oil as a repellant because I've never used it before the fact, only after. Tea tree oil is so stinky, I never considered applying it in a preventive mode. But perhaps your combo is more palatable to the olfactory senses. Thanks for the great tip.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

CTI is bug free, never had a bite, with that being said, if you react to bug bites, bring a small tube of Benadryl just in case. No reason to have a bad vacation just because of the one bug found you.

Enjoy
    Irie Mon

Vee- Where do you get the products you mentioned and what is an atomizer? I would love an alternative to bug spray. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelers View Post
    what is an atomizer?
    An atomizer is a spayer that reduces a liquid to an extremely fine mist. Most perfume bottles are actually atomizers.

We've never found the insects very difficult to deal with, but if you are allergic to bee stings you should bring along your benedryl as well as your shot of Epinephrine if you have one. The resort will also have the shot but timing can sometimes be critical. Bees are not everywhere but they do congregate around some of the bar areas because of the sweet drinks made there.

We've only ever been bitten when walking round the garden early in the morning. We've never seen anything on the beach. When we were there a few weeks ago, we used DEET morning and evening and had no problems.

As usual, we hung out on the beach from the time the sun came up, until the sun went down, plus did the Monday beach party after the repeaters dinner, and never experienced any bugs or bites. There were quite a few bees though, but nothing to worry about. Have a blast
    Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    ... and I use a self-made concoction of teatree, eucalpytus, citronella, lavendar and geranium oils. I mix it in a base of sweet almond oil and put it in an atomizer. It works wonders. And the smell, while definitely herbal isn't too bad.
    I would also love to know a good source for all of these. I will be checking Amazon too as they seem to have everything. Is there some ratio you use? Bugs love me and I am never without my DEET in the evenings, but I HATE covering myself in it and then having to shower again before bed. I'm also just not a fan of chemicals in general, though I suck it up to not suffer through the bites. Would love an effective natural remedy (the Skin So Soft and/or B vitamin remedies do nothing for me, unfortunately).

Actually, just searched and all of these oils are available on Amazon. As are atomizers. Yay!

We were at CSS April 09 thru 14 and had no problem until we ate at the Bellavista our last night there. After we got home my wife was complaining about several bug bites on her arms and legs. I had 3 on my legs. We even went to SSB one night and had no problem there either. Not blaming or complaining about the Bellavista, but that's the only place I can connect it to.
    We were at CTI in February and the day after the movie on the beach, my wife said she had a couple of bites on her legs. Overall not a bad experience and will not keep us from returning. Counting down to our next trip in November.

Hey ya'll.... I just saw that you were looking for the sources that I use, and I get all my essential oils from Frontier Natural Products. (www.frontiercoop.com) They also sell the atomizers. (or in my case a stainless steel bottle with a mister on it...)

I fill the bottle about half way with almond oil (about 2 oz), and then mix in about 20 drops citronella, 20 drops of geranium and 10 drops of each other oil, with the exception of Eucalyptus which is only 5 drops. (It's stroooooong....) You can also mix in a little alcohol (either rubbing or cheap vodka - no joke) to make it easier to spray. The alcohol evaporates as soon as it hits your skin.

Enjoy the herbal-y-ness. And don't go too crazy on the drops of oil. It's STRONG stuff.

Thanks Vee. I've copied your 'recipe' into my word processing program and will create your concoction next time we head home.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Vee - I wanted to thank you for the natural oils suggestion. I did make this up before our trip last week. I winged it on the amounts and may have overkilled it on the citronella (it was SMELLY!...but still better than Deet). It TOTALLY worked.

We sat out by the beach one night (at SeaGrapes tables at CSA) and were getting bit up. Went back to the room and put on our homemade repellant and went back out and no longer felt bugs all over us.

I also saw little sand fleas on my legs one after noon (rained the night before I think) and put some on and didn't see them anymore.

THANK YOU!!!

Smoo -

Glad it worked for you. I'm the same way. Bugs scoff at Skin So Soft on me, and I've never been able to choke down enough B vitamins to make it worth my while.

This is the only thing that works for me other than Deet (which I hate). By scaling down a little on the Citronella, you'll make it smell a bit better next time. Just cut it with a little oil.

Enjoy!