I turned the page on the calendar. I know, it's two days early. So what. It isn't going to make the days go by any faster. I guess I'm just a little anxious. Our next CTI trip is less than two weeks away. Syl said the same thing to me yesterday,”Okay, I'm ready to go”, she said with a big smile on her face. “Yah, I know how you feel”. The last couple of weeks before each trip and we still feel all the same thrilling feelings. Here we go again.

The month of November contains some notable occasions. On the 5th of the month, daylight savings time begins. “Spring ahead, Fall behind”. So now, here in the North East, it will get dark around 4:30 in the afternoon. Yuck. We lose an hour here but gain an hour when we land in Jamaica.
The 7th is Election Day. Lots of local activity here.

The following day just happens to be my birthday. I am very fortunate and extremely happy to be turning 77. The first quarter of my life was filled with turmoil, trials, and tribulations. I spent the past fifty plus years learning from my stupidity and selfishness. I saw a post on FB that said, “If you want to be old and smart, you have to be young and stupid first”. I was and I am.

Just in case you are keeping track of the phases of the moon, on the 10th is the last quarter.

A day of remembrance occurs on November 11. Veterans Day. An important reminder as to how many young men and women that served and defended our countries freedoms, made the ultimate sacrifice, losing their lives. When I was a kid, this holiday was observed by closing schools and workplaces. That hardly happens anymore today. Today, there is a giant sale on just about every “holiday” noted on the calendar.

With the last quarter of the moon fading out, the new first quarter shines on the 18th.

And last but certainly not least is Thanksgiving Day on the 23rd. This “family” kind of holiday gathering is very different now for us. As kids, this was a time where all the family members were home. Lots of relatives often stopped by. Mom did all of the cooking, serving, and cleanup. The house had marvelous aromas that still linger in my mind.

Today, we get our chicken at Market Basket, along with “all the fixing”. At the table, Syl, Syd and myself. A far cry from days gone by. But this day is about giving thanks and we three have much to be thankful and grateful for. It has been, so far, a life full of all of the things that go into making all the years go by. Good and bad, rich and poor, happy and sad. It is a culmination of all of these things and so much more that enriches our lives and teaches us invaluable lessons. There is still so much more to learn.

Of all the occurrences happening during the eleventh month of 2017, there was one day that will mean more to us than all the rest. The day we leave for our 43 reunions at the world famous CTI.

This celebration is one that we eagerly look forward too. We think about it from one trip to the next. We count the days between each trip and the fewer we have, the happier we are. The sweetness and enjoyment we experienced on our first venture twenty-two years ago, is still very much a part of what we experience today. Some of the young and smiling faces we knew years ago have moved on. Some of them we still keep in touch with. And while we miss these people, there have been new fresh young faces to fill the void. They are carrying on the long-standing tradition of Couples, to make each and every couple feel more like family than just hotel guests. They do that and so much more.

A busy month, November. The holiday shopping season also begins following Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Although today, the stores start selling Thanksgiving and Christmas merchandise by the first week in August. Another tough month arrives in December. Once again, for so many people, the holidays can be a very lonely time. Especially the older one becomes. I may be alive, but far to many of my friends and relatives are not. As each holiday or birthday or anniversary comes and goes, we think about how our times used to be. Aging is as much of an adjustment as it was to go from toddler to teen to adult. We keep reinventing ourselves and finding new and exciting adventures to explore.

New and exciting adventures. Some of them may not be able to be described in that manner. For instance. If you are among the millions of adults that have a little plumbing problem and find that their pipes leak, you will have to find a way to “adjust” to that liquid situation. It will be a time of further exploration of what you are made of. How you face these situations that arise later on in life will be a testament to what you have learned over your lifetime.

Well, there you have it. The two final months of 2017. Then New Year's Eve and we begin the dance all over again. The carousel never stops. It's the ride of a lifetime. Live it.