Hybrid View

Default The price of tea in China...

...or more accurately, the price of rum in Jamaica. I'm not real keen on checking large glass bottles in my luggage. Nor am I fond of repacking luggage once I'm back in the states and clear customs. Just how much will a fifth of Appleton run me in Negril? I can get it in Ohio/Kentucky for $15-$20/750ml. Am I going to come out that much ahead stocking up at CSA?

Red Stripe runs me $7+ a 6pk here, so I am definately looking for to a week (Aug 13-16) of all-inclusive beer!

Late - CB

Default did someone say rum

9 us $ at the airport....buy it there......4$ for a six pack of red stripe..buy two for 8$ get a free t-shirt, but beer is to heavy to carry......so drink up when your there...and carry home the rum.......now go and make me proud.

I always buy alcohol for the flight home but I don't connect - if I did then I doubt I would due to space in luggage issues as well as the added cost of checking luggage.

Cost savings range around $6-7 per bottle on average.

We just got back from CSS Sunday. Brought back 4 bottles of Rum Cream. Packaged at the store for carry on travel at the airport. Connecting flight in Atlanta to Gulport. Once you clear customs just re-pack in your suitcase. They DO NOT reweigh your luggage at that point. No problem mon.

Default Bringing Rum Home

Quote Originally Posted by steve victoria View Post
    We just got back from CSS Sunday. Brought back 4 bottles of Rum Cream. Packaged at the store for carry on travel at the airport. Connecting flight in Atlanta to Gulfport. Once you clear customs just re-pack in your suitcase. They DO NOT reweigh your luggage at that point. No problem mon.
    ....This was info I was looking for; How we were to get Liquor through the airport. Had heard getting it at the airport was the way to go, just didn't know how to go from there.

Well, if you're concerned about the good stuff (aka, Appleton Estate), there is good news on the home front. Recently (within the month), the company contracted by Wrey & Nephew to market Appleton Rums in the USA issued a press release that they were going to target the "straight up" demographic for Appleton Estate's VX and Extra brands; what this means is that the excellent 12 year bottling will now be offered on liquor store shelves in the USA.

"Sure", I thought to myself..."in the big east/west coast markets, maybe... but here in the midwest? Not for a loooong time!" Well, I was wrong. My bride and I went camping earlier this month, and while making an emergency run for provisions (running out of beer) in Waupaca, Wisconsin, I checked the rum inventory at the local Piggly Wiggly. There, in its spot of honor to the right of the good old reliable VX bottle, was Appleton Estate Extra 12 year Dark Rum. How about that?

Now at the end of May, I purchased two bottles (750 ml) of Extra at the duty free at the airport for $18 ea. At the aforementioned liquor store, the same bottle was $30.

Personally, I reserve my suitcase space for goodies I can't get here in the States (like Sangster's Rum Cream). I suspect I'll be watching for other bottlings from here on out.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

The 12 and 20 year aged bottles run for much cheaper at the airport than most places I saw in Jamaica.

The giftshop at CN had the Appleton's Estate rum for $35 a bottle for 750mL, and I ended up buying a bottle at one of the shops on the shopping tour for $25. Then, I saw it was actually only $17 at the airport for the same bottle of rum (Appleton's Estate Extra 12 year aged).

They didn't have the higher end Appleton's at the airport in 750mL bottles (Legacy or 21 year old), however.

Best advice is to get your liquor at the airport, especially if you have no connecting flights within the US (your flight from Montego Bay is your final destination).

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. I tend to be a drinking degenerate on vacation. And to you, Trouble, no worries mon...I will more than make you proud.
    Last edited by Couples Resorts; July 7th, 2009 at 07:09 AM.

Yum!!! Rum!!!
    Jamaica Us Happy
    Jason & Ann

Usually, the bottles in Jamaica are 1 litre not 750ml. That factors into the price a little bit as well.

We bring rum, back for the memories rather than the cost savings. We just cracked the last litre of Reserve from our trip last July. Trying to make it last this long:

73 days, 19 hours, 16 minutes and 34 seconds until Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 4:00:00 PM (Swept Away time)

Name:  rum stripe crop.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  63.6 KB

This is why I am so happy we have a nonstop coming home!!!!!!