Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Hobiecats

  1. #1

    Default Hobiecats

    If you have used the hobiecats, please reply to this post. Thanks! Does a person have to have sailing skills to manage riding the hobiecat? Or is it easy for a person who does not have sailing skills to use? My husband and I are returning to CSA in March for our second visit. We can't wait! We saw couples using the hobiecats on our first visit. We also saw one couple come in way too fast when they were done, and it was very funny to here the scream the girl let out as a result.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    949

    Default

    It does not matter if you have any sailing skills to ride Hobie craft. They will give lessons or they will take you out.
    They are a lot of fun

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    243

    Default

    I have no sailing experience, other than my two trips to CN using the hobiecats. They are very stable and pretty easy to manuever. I do remember some tense moments when the wind was strong, so now try to stick to periods that are a bit less windy. I did the 1/2 hour training before the first time, and would definietly recommend it. Do it! You will like it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    797

    Default

    The hoby cats are really easy to operate. They will take you out the first time and teach you if you want. This is one of our most favorite things to do at CSA. Just hope for a windy day.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    338

    Default interested in this as well

    We are interested in this as well if anyone has insight!!

  6. #6

    Default

    No, believe me you do NOT have to have sailing skills in order to take the Hobiecat out on the water. The staff will instruct you how to operate it before you go out. It is a lot of fun.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    408

    Default

    No sailing skill required. They will give you instruction before you go out. They also asked if you wanted someone to go out with you first to be sure you understand how to use them. It is pretty easy. Also, I saw people get stuck out in the ocean , and people who were going to far away in the hobie cats, and they sent a boat out for assistance and to tell the one person to come in closer ( they had gone real far ). They are a lot of fun, give them a try your next visit.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schwieso View Post
    No sailing skill required. They will give you instruction before you go out. They also asked if you wanted someone to go out with you first to be sure you understand how to use them. It is pretty easy. Also, I saw people get stuck out in the ocean , and people who were going to far away in the hobie cats, and they sent a boat out for assistance and to tell the one person to come in closer ( they had gone real far ). They are a lot of fun, give them a try your next visit.
    Good, because we have zero skills and experience, yet we want to try it, seems like it's a ton-o-fun. I'm about 100% positive too that you won't find me drifting too far beyond the shore. Not too whippy about the watersports guys having to come to our rescue.

    Also, being the not-very-good swimmer that I be, I take it they will supply a lifevest/belt/whatever if requested?
    Ron

    Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

  9. #9

    Default

    My husband and I race Prindle cats which are very similar to Hobie cats. I crew for him and it was my goal when visiting CSA in Nov to sail independently. I took the sailing class in the morning and was soon sailing all by myself. I cletted my mainsail which was not a good decision and flipped the boat. The wonderful guys at the water sports hut were right there and helped me right the boat and off I went again. The next day I went out again and this time I had the sail in too tight when I was going downwind and this also proved not to be a good decision, and very shortly the wonderful water sports guys were there and helped me right the boat and I sailed away. By the end of the week, I was attempting to race my partner and had a wonderful time. So the answer is, you need no experience to sail a Hobie independently, even someone like me who can't figure out which way the wind blows can do it. And last but not least, if you flip the boat, the water is warm, it's sunny, it's not that deep, and someone will be there right away and help you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,013

    Default

    Ron -

    Not only do they supply the life vests for use on the hobies.... they require you to wear them. No problem!

    We have a blast on the 'cats! I always jump aboard a quick lesson just for safety sake.
    Chris

    "In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbrennan1018 View Post
    If you have used the hobiecats, please reply to this post. Thanks! Does a person have to have sailing skills to manage riding the hobiecat? Or is it easy for a person who does not have sailing skills to use? My husband and I are returning to CSA in March for our second visit. We can't wait! We saw couples using the hobiecats on our first visit. We also saw one couple come in way too fast when they were done, and it was very funny to here the scream the girl let out as a result.
    ....We had never tried this before. One of the guys from the Beach Hut took us out and gave us lessons. No problem.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ron -

    Not only do they supply the life vests for use on the hobies.... they require you to wear them. No problem!

    We have a blast on the 'cats! I always jump aboard a quick lesson just for safety sake.
    Thanks Chris, that's reassuring to know. Being novices, we'll definitely take up the watersports guys' gracious offer for a lesson. I'm never too proud to accept someone's help and advice.
    Ron

    Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •