Thread: Golf in Negril

Default Golf in Negril

We will be at CSA in mid-March and I we were thinking of going golfing. Do people prefer to bring their own clubs or rent them? We do have our own clubs, but we don't have cases to use for airplane travel so we'd have to get those. Does it matter if you're not that good at it? I'm still pretty new to it, but my husband golfs regularly. Since caddies are mandatory, I wasn't sure if they would get frustrated with someone who takes a little longer :-)

My husband and I are going to CN in Mid March as well, and plan to golf when we are down there several times. We always bring our golf clubs with us. I like the comfort of using my own clubs when I am golfing. We both have relatively inexpensive padded rolling golf bags and have had no issue travelling with them.

The caddies at Negril Hills are great. I have seen them work with all types of players. The first time that I was there, I was not a good golfer and they were fine and very supportive. I am better now, but still not the best and the caddies are very supportive and fun to be with.

Jenni

The first time I played (not at Negril, but Upton) I was also new to the game. I just told the caddy not to expect much and there were no problems. You usually play as a 4 ball, so will get paired up with another couple. You don't have to, but since most are 4 balls it can seem slow as a 2 ball. Just enjoy playing in lovely temperatures!! We always take our own clubs, but there are some available to hire.

Here are a few suggestions that might help make your game more enjoyable. First, don't torture yourself, if you hit the ball somewhere in a bad place don't try to hit it from there. Pick up the ball and put somewhere less difficult. If you're just learning the game, there's lots of time to learn how to hit it from a bad lie. Second, if you're worried about playing slowly, play to double par on every hole. If you're playing a par 4 and you're at 7 strokes and you're still off the green, pick up the ball walk to the green, drop it somewhere on the green and putt out. Lastly, don't keep score. It's amazing how much more relaxing the game can be if you don't keep score.

If you choose to do any of these things, tell your caddy and the people you're playing with that this is what you will be doing before the round starts. That way no one will wonder what the heck is going on when they see you picking up your ball an dmoving it around.

We've golfed for years and often when we're on vacation we play by these "rules" just to keep the experience lighter and more enjoyable.

ENJOY!!!

ENJOY!!!

Negril Hills is a very laid back course. Last year my husband and I played in the afternoons and were never paired up. The caddies are very friendly and will offer advice if you want it. If you are a learner tell them up front and they will help you out.

Jenni