Default one of many questions on CSA

Hi! My fiance and I just booked our first vacation together at CSA May 19 thru the 25... I had just a few questions that I tried to find answers to but didn't find any useful info... so here goes....I am concerned about mosquitos and sand fleas during that time of year and if they are a problem, what kind of repellent to use for the fleas. so if anyone has been out there mid to late may can you throw your input in? Also can I just bring US dollars or should we exchange currency before we leave?... and do we have to book a romance package/ private dinner before we get there or can we do it all when we check in? Any thoughts would be awesome!! Thanks so much!!

Chris

I think it all depends on whether or not you are prone to mosquito bites. I am. I've never been to Jamaica and not had a problem (been in late May, June, late Aug/early Sept, Nov.). You will get a lot of replies from people saying not to worry about it. I envy those people. I always have to worry about it and cannot leave the room at night without repellant.

I used to use Deep Woods Off - the more Deet the better. Now we use this stuff called Ultrathon. Supposedly it's made so that the Deet doesn't penetrate your skin.

You can just use U.S. currency. No need to change. If you buy something in cash though, you will probably be given Jamaican back though. But for tips and stuff, U.S. dollar is fine.

I can't speak to the romance packages. Sorry

I haven't been there in May, so I can't comment about that time of year. We were there Jan. 31-Feb. 7, and not one bite! Didn't see a bug at all.

Currency is US, no need to exchange. But, it is a cashless resort, so everything extra is charged to your room and you pay at the end. We did pay in cash at that time.

If you want to set something up before regarding dinner, I'm sure that is ok, and you can do it by contacting the resort via email. But you can also wait until you get there and do it the first day. WE didn't do that, so maybe someone else can give better advice.

All I know is that it was our first trip to CSA, and it will not be our last. I've been to many all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica over 14 years......and I must say that CSA is the best! Most romantic! Best beach and ocean, and every night a new and gorgeous sunset ! I took over 300 pictures, and most were sunsets! Food is fantastic, the service is excellent. We had a BFVS, room 4121.......if that is your catagory, in our opinion, it was the best. We did not feel over-run by people walking by.....we loved it. And at night, we didnt hear any noise. We set our chairs up on the beach in front of our room and left the verandah door closed but unlocked, giving us access throughout the day. Never worried that anyone would enter the room who wasn't supposed to. You will love CSA !!!! WE will be back ! Enjoy!

Default answered

Answers in red

Hi! My fiance and I just booked our first vacation together at CSA May 19 thru the 25... I had just a few questions that I tried to find answers to but didn't find any useful info... so here goes....I am concerned about mosquitos and sand fleas during that time of year and if they are a problem, what kind of repellent to use for the fleas.Any repellant with deet! so if anyone has been out there mid to late may can you throw your input in? Also can I just bring US dollars or should we exchange currency before we leave?...US DOLLARS of the small variey ones and fives as change will be given in JA Dollars. and do we have to book a romance package/ private dinner before we get there or can we do it all when we check in? Any thoughts would be awesome!!Book ahead of time with romance officer as they might be booked prior plus it makes for no worries when you get there! Thanks so much!! No Problem, congrats

Chris

Sand Fleas/Mosquitos - In 15 trips to Jamaica, including 12 trips to Negril, we have never used any type of insect repellant and have never been bitten. In our trips, we've been to Jamaica in January, February, March, April, July, and August. If you find that insects are problematic for you, you can buy repellant from the resort's sundries store.

Currency - From the FAQs:

What currency should we use?

Official currency is Jamaican Dollar but US Dollar is largely used and actually recommended. All items will be priced in USD. If you use Jamaican Dollars some stores may “convert” the J$ to US$ at a premium (i.e. a service fee) so bring USD to avoid unnecessary conversion. Street vendors may not have required change so we suggest that you bring smaller bills.

Romance Package/Private Dinner - Both of these can be booked after your arrival at the resort.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We were there in September, didn't have much problem with them (and usually mosquitos will find my wife! Or maybe they it's just the Virginia mosquitos...)

However, I hear that's mostly a dusk/nighttime issue, and we weren't at the beach much then.

The word on the street is to use something heavy with DEET, and we did have that (and used it after rains, which also seems to be when the buggers show up).

Mosquitoes and sand fleas are most prevalent at dawn and dusk. Cutters or Off will work to some degree, but you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Bring US Dollars, but only small denominations and very little cash at that, unless you plan to go outside the resort and visit the countryside.

Private dinners are booked when you get to CSA.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

As for the fleas they do come out at night. We bought some bug off wipes that worked fine. Only problem I had was laying in a hammock one night. They swarmed it. But if you bring something to repel them to u will be fine. And they aren't terrible

I think you can book a dinner pre-arrival but it's not necessary. Wait till you get there and see which night you wanna do it. There might be other activities you'd rather do on some dates. I think it's a waste of money myself but if it's your first time go for it. To me I'd rather pay $175 for spa services.

Don't worry about exchanging money. You don't need to.

As for the fleas they do come out at night. We bought some bug off wipes that worked fine. Only problem I had was laying in a hammock one night. They swarmed it. But if you bring something to repel them to u will be fine. And they aren't terrible

I think you can book a dinner pre-arrival but it's not necessary. Wait till you get there and see which night you wanna do it. There might be other activities you'd rather do on some dates. I think it's a waste of money myself but if it's your first time go for it. To me I'd rather pay $175 for spa services.

Don't worry about exchanging money. You don't need to.

Everyone you come in contact with while in Jamaica excepts US currency.

U.S. dollars worked just fine for us. We never had an issue with mosquitos and if we were planning on spending some time on the beach in the evening we would use Off on our lower legs and we never had a problem with sand fleas.
    No worries mon.

Hi, my husband and I were at CSA in July! The sand fleas did not bug us during the day at all. But, when we went to the beach one night to have a glass of wine they were terrible! They say mosquitos and sand fleas are the worst in the early morning, late evening, and after the rain. Other than that one night we did not notice them at all. If you get a repellent make sure it say fleas on it not just mosquitos and insects
    We just brought USD we did not have any problem with people not accepting it, and we did not have to exchange currency at all while we were there!
    The dinner I would say yes book it before you get down there! Our wedding party chipped in and bought us the private beach dinner. Our travel agent said no, no you can book your dinner when you get to the resort! The night we got there we tried to make arrangements and they were all booked up for the week. So we were a little disappointed. Other than that have a great time!!

Thanks everyone! I love this message board! I feel like everyone that goes to couples are just like family and have answered so many of my questions! I cant wait to meet all of the staff and guests staying at the resort! 92 days and counting!

chrisk -

Looks like everyone has taken care of your current list of questions... all I can add is...

We'll see you there! We're on the beach from May 22-30!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"